Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
skunked again
Senior Member
 
skunked again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Highland
Posts: 140
Household Water Heater Question

GE power vent - model GG40T06PVJ. The fan housing broke where it attaches to the motor. All around the hub.

- Can I replace just the fan?
- could I epoxy it back together? Until I either put on a new fan, or a whole new assembly?

I couldn't find a part number for the assembly for GE. Found one for Rheem though. #SP13416. For a cost of around $370.

This water heater was made in 2007. Would you get the replacement part for $370? Or, Since I'm 1\4 of the way to a new water heater, get a new one? Given it's age.

Gonna call\stop by local plumbing stores tomorrow, see what they say and have.
__________________
2018 Bullet Crossfire 1900 RD.
2021 Nissan Titan SV 4X4 3.692 gears 5 year 100,000 mile B2B warranty!!
Gary and Michelle HAPPILY married since 1998. Two kids (Spoiled). One dog (even more spoiled!).
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog
Senior Member
 
NH_Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Henniker
Posts: 1,115
First and foremost, don’t mess with the vent system, or you or someone you love could die. Second, that water heater is about 5 years beyond it’s reasonable life expectancy. If it were me (and it has been recently), I would just replace the whole thing and be done with it
__________________
Rob & Amy
2019 Passport 240BH SL
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:46 PM   #3
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 3,622
yes ..put the money towards a new on and don’t mess with the flue system unless you replace the entire inducer fan assembly with a oem part..or a reputable replacement part…your likely to fix it and then it starts leaking in a month or a year and you’ve wasted money…and buy yourself a co detector or three for your house.

don’t cut corners with gas appliances


…and that water heater is old …anything over 10 years on a water heater is replacement time as far as i’m concerned when the choice is repair or replace
__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 14,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
yes ..put the money towards a new on and don’t mess with the flue system unless you replace the entire inducer fan assembly with a oem part..or a reputable replacement part…your likely to fix it and then it starts leaking in a month or a year and you’ve wasted money…and buy yourself a co detector or three for your house.

don’t cut corners with gas appliances


…and that water heater is old …anything over 10 years on a water heater is replacement time as far as i’m concerned when the choice is repair or replace

Come on Jasin; "back in the day, when I was a young'un" those water heaters would last 30 years!! I don't know how long this one has been in since I replaced it but it's been longer than 10 years...or 15. I intend to get my moneys worth....just keep flushing the rust out of the bottom! They just don't make 'em like they used to.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 54 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:59 PM   #5
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Come on Jasin; "back in the day, when I was a young'un" those water heaters would last 30 years!! I don't know how long this one has been in since I replaced it but it's been longer than 10 years...or 15. I intend to get my moneys worth....just keep flushing the rust out of the bottom! They just don't make 'em like they used to.
it’s one thing to replace a thermocouple or a heating element..maybe a gas valve/thermostat but making a repair that cost half the price of a new one on a 10-15 year water heater? nope not me..i’m buying new and getting a new warranty ..
if there is no issues i’m leaving it until there is a problem..15-20 years…but i have drain pans under my water heaters also…years ago before i started my buisness i worked for a large hvac company that had separate service and install departments…i left the install side and went into service..my boss wanted me to quote $1000 repairs on 18 year old ac systems..i always advised to put the money towards new..my boss said “ we in service are in the business to repair things…not replace them” …little old lady’s had no idea what was better …i hated that part of the industry and i never do that for my company.

i won’t even charge a service call if it’s a lost cause and the people are nice.

i’m not trying to get rich off of other peoples misfortune
__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:48 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 14,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
it’s one thing to replace a thermocouple or a heating element..maybe a gas valve/thermostat but making a repair that cost half the price of a new one on a 10-15 year water heater? nope not me..i’m buying new and getting a new warranty ..
if there is no issues i’m leaving it until there is a problem..15-20 years…but i have drain pans under my water heaters also…years ago before i started my buisness i worked for a large hvac company that had separate service and install departments…i left the install side and went into service..my boss wanted me to quote $1000 repairs on 18 year old ac systems..i always advised to put the money towards new..my boss said “ we in service are in the business to repair things…not replace them” …little old lady’s had no idea what was better …i hated that part of the industry and i never do that for my company.

i won’t even charge a service call if it’s a lost cause and the people are nice.

i’m not trying to get rich off of other peoples misfortune

I was just kidding. You do the right thing. I'm the worlds worst at using your criteria; I'd just as soon replace it as try to repair it no matter what it is.
You're replace vs "repair" until tomorrow philosophy is spot on IMO.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 54 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #7
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I was just kidding. You do the right thing. I'm the worlds worst at using your criteria; I'd just as soon replace it as try to repair it no matter what it is.
You're replace vs "repair" until tomorrow philosophy is spot on IMO.
thank you sir
__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:57 PM   #8
Gegrad
Senior Member
 
Gegrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Monroeville
Posts: 1,438
2007 water heater? I'm defintley going whole new heater if the part is $370 and new heater and part is included for $1300. Given your WH made it 15 years I would call yourself lucky for getting that much out it. That's a good long life for a home WH.
__________________
2014 Bullet Premier 29bh in Charocal
2019 Ram 2500 HD 4x4, CC, 6.4L
2011 Passport 2510RB (Sold)
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #9
skunked again
Senior Member
 
skunked again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Highland
Posts: 140
Thanks to All !
I installed a new water heater this afternoon\evening. Friend came over to get the Old WH out, he has a scrap pile. Win Win !
Checked for gas leaks with soap bubbles. All good.
The old WH had a return line on it, need to get a fitting tomorrow to hook that back up, otherwise everything else went back together with no modifications. I was pleasantly shocked! ! Without that return line, it takes along time to get hot water to the other end of the house!
Already had four showers through it.

When the friend got home, he found his dryer not working, it's always something !!
__________________
2018 Bullet Crossfire 1900 RD.
2021 Nissan Titan SV 4X4 3.692 gears 5 year 100,000 mile B2B warranty!!
Gary and Michelle HAPPILY married since 1998. Two kids (Spoiled). One dog (even more spoiled!).
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:53 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 10,049
Always something, yup. We're heading home after 1 week of a 2 week trip. Two days before we we going to leave I walked down the basement steps and stepped on a 3 x 5 rug wet rug. Water was comming out from under the wall. Adjacent to the steps is a bathroom where the water supply line enters the house.

I opened the closet in that bathroom and water was pouring in from the outside thru the foundation wall. Had to call the water dept to shut off water outside. The house is 23 yrs old so we're luck the 3/4 copper pipe lasted that long. I feel blessed that not only lasted that long but that apparently we found it just after it happened. The bathroom floor is 1'x1' marble and the rec room is Conneticut blue slate.
I installed it so I know the grout is good. I also built out the finish walls using metal framing and keeping the drywall 1" above the finished floor. So if any is damaged (besides my patience) it would only be a few feet of baseboard molding.

Neighbors had their supply lines replaced several years ogo. Called a couple of plumbers to come out and give estimates. One said he could do the job "in the next few days". His estimate? Well, $8,800. One of the neighbour's that had his done gave the outfits number that he used. Their estimate was $2,900. They were having issues with scheduling as they were booked until after Memorial day. That outfit called us 2 days ago and said they can do the work on the 18 th if someone can open the house. So home we go today.

Made me think, when we leave home for a trip I shut off the water and turn off the WH, etc. But this came from outside so unless I called the water company to have shut off outside this can still happen. Another preparation call from now on after stopping the mail, call the water company. Yup, it's always something!
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.