Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2022, 04:12 PM   #1
Cousin Gary

What's that smell.

This AM with our Cougar parked in our driveway I stepped out & was hit with a smell??? walked around trying to discover what was the issue. As I passed in front of my 5th there it was. Coming from one of the Interstate batteries and it was very hot. A little back ground, I have kept the rig plugged in to shore power. Only one battery was hot, the #2 seemed to be fine. (1)My first impression the on board inverter/charger was not tripping to maintain status. (2) could we have a faulty battery as the #2 battery seemed to be fine. (3) With shore power cut, the rig showed 12.5 on control screen. A few hours later I pulled in the awning (batt @ 11.1) I kept getting a warning of low batt on the screen. I strongly believe if I had not shut off the power to the 5th we would have had a fire. Looking forward to your input or winning lotto tickets.
Cousin Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

When was the last time you checked the water level in the batteries? If you leave your RV plugged in, you need to check the battery cells at least once a month. You probably wouldn’t have a fire, but I have seen batteries explode.

Make sure you replace BOTH batteries at the same time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:06 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

That smell is Hydrogen Sulfide gas, very nasty stuff. You may have a low water level or another issue that is causing the battery to boil. As chuck said, you need to check and top off battery water frequently. Use ONLY distilled water if you do need to add some (about 99¢ a gallon at the grocery store).
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:46 PM   #4
Balvar24

It's also flammable.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:14 AM   #5
{tpc}

A friend of mine had this problem, and we never did figure it out. He later sold the trailer to someone else and his new one had no issue. But it would constantly and consistently boil any battery that was on it.

When he finally put the 3rd new battery on, he installed a battery disconnect on the battery terminal so he wouldn't have the problem. It was as if the converter didn't know when to shut off, so it just kept trying to charge the battery.

We spent a full weekend tearing the convertor out and looking at it down to the circuit board level. I couldn't find anything that was obviously wrong with it, so we put it back in. My suggestion was to replace it, but he decided to replace the whole rig instead lol.