Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
stephano

Metal or aluminum sided Keystone

Hello. I'm new here so please bear with me. I've looked through this forum and I'm going to be reading up for a long time since there looks to be lots of great info here.

My question is, I've been looking for a used 5th wheel in the mid to upper 2000 year models for some time now and have come across Keystone models many times. They seem like nice units and for the most part seem to be just like the rest of the manufactures, but with that said I'm not exactly sure what details I need to be looking for either to weed out the bad.

In my search, I'm looking specifically for bunk house models with four bunks in a separate room. I've found a few but what I've seen is either thrashed inside (probably from kids using the bunks), has outside damage, or is far over priced. Now with that said, of the many I've looked at fiberglass was the most common with a couple metal sided ones. The situation I'm now in is that the BEST 5th wheel I've found yet happens to be a metal sided Sprinter. And its VERY nice. Brand new looking but..........its metal. Should I care??? Should I pass and hope to find one as equally nice in fiberglass or should I just get it and enjoy it for what it is? I've asked this question before about siding pro's and con's with many many varying opinions but I'm still perplexed as to what to do. The asking price is top dollar and rightfully so too since its so perty but is the metal siding going to be a drawback for resale? I understand that fiberglass is the "newer" look but is there really any disadvantages to metal over fiberglass besides the fact that metal dents much easier than fiberglass?

Also, I've called Keystone dealers and the Keystone manufacture themselves trying to ask questions about models, options, and just basic information but the lack of help or response is borderline insulting. In all honesty, I haven't learned anything from either one. I actually thought that I'm not going to buy a Keystone just for that reason but beggars cant be choosers. LOL.

What would anyone else do? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and thank you.
stephano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
badge4

Metal or aluminum sided Keystone

I too went back and forth on the fiberglass verses metal and I initially liked fiberglass but completely changed my mind when someone pointed out that if your metal trailer does become dented or what have you, you simply replace that section whereas if theres a problem with fiberglass you are replacing an entire side. Dollar for dollar metal is a better value I think and in terms of overall upkeep and appearence both require fairly consistant upkeep. Good luck in your decision.
badge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
stephano

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge4 View Post
I too went back and forth on the fiberglass verses metal and I initially liked fiberglass but completely changed my mind when someone pointed out that if your metal trailer does become dented or what have you, you simply replace that section whereas if theres a problem with fiberglass you are replacing an entire side. Dollar for dollar metal is a better value I think and in terms of overall upkeep and appearence both require fairly consistant upkeep. Good luck in your decision.
Thats what I've heard too but when I call some RV shops, they say that the fiberglass is easier to fix. Like fixing a Corvette they say, unless the damage is to big then its a different story.
Very confusing.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I have had both and the smooth sides are much easier to clean and keep clean. Personally ,I would not go back to metal sides .... I also think the Filon or fiberglass helps insulate too. JM$.02 Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
stephano

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I have had both and the smooth sides are much easier to clean and keep clean. Personally ,I would not go back to metal sides .... I also think the Filon or fiberglass helps insulate too. JM$.02 Hank
The insulating part bring up another point, which I couldn't get any straight answers on. I've heard that metal has such insulation behind it which fiberglass does not, which in turn keeps the metal R value equal to or better than fiberglass. Comparing equal and basic construction too (apples to apples). Any arctic packages aren't comparable features if another doesn't have that. But then I've also has some say that fiberglass has a better R value no matter. At this point I'm thinking that all comparisons have to do with specific models and price ranges. The more pricey, the more finer features you get.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
GBHRPS

I purchased my first (and only) 5er last fall and I didn't even consider an aluminum sided unit. They are much harder to clean with all of those creases, not to mention seal properly around window and door mouldings. Miss a caulking seam and you have water problems. Throw a golf ball at the side of one or brush a tree limb and its damaged, and can only be fixed by replacing the panel from one end to the other. If you have kids, doing what kids do, you are going to have some dents. My own 6 year old trailer has aluminum along the lower foot and a half of the trailer's sides that rolls under to join the belly pan. And I have 2 or 3 smaller dents. There are no such problems with the entire rest of the fibreglass covering.

A friend has a 2003 HitchHiker II (fibreglass sided) that recently developed a horizontal crack at the bottom corner of the bedroom slide. It was only 8 inches long and just barely broke the fibreglass surface. He had his dealer repair it and the results were invisible. You would have to know where to look to see the repair.

My other big reason for not choosing one is it just screams old trailer, old technology, something the last generation would have owned.

As for insulation, check the manufacturer's website for factory tours of their products. There and on YouTube you may find videos that will show you what you want to know.

You asked for opinions. And these are mine. Good Luck, regardless which way you choose!

Gene
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
stephano

Very good points and yes, the fact that metal looks like old technology is an issue for me. Although, regarding dents, I've been looking at just about any and every type of metal sided RV trailer I come across and dents seem to be pretty far and few. Mostly they just look dirty and I'm sure thats more lack of owner care than difficulty to wash.
So point well taken but again, the main problem I'm running across is that just about every seller is asking WAY over NADA values and asking prices only seem to be going up everyday..........and people are buying them. Me finding a trailer thats in such perfect condition with the floor plan I want but being metal is tormenting me.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
GBHRPS

I'm going to suggest that maybe you should compromise somewhat, and start looking for a unit that is 3 or 4 years older than what you presently seeking.

My wife and I started looking for a 5er, specifically a Keystone Cougar, after close friends bought one last July and gave us a tour of theirs. We were very impressed with their trailer, a 2001, and unknown to me, my wife started searching for a similar one. Two weeks later she found one online (about a 5 hour trip away), and after some phone calls to the owner of the dealership, she confirmed that even though it was a 2004, he rated it an 8 out of 10.

Over dinner she presented the idea to me and the next day we made the trip to see it firsthand. It was in fantastic shape. The previous owners care shone inside and out. We bought it the same day.

Once home, a few days of cleaning black streaks, new tires and cleaning carpets, and we have a trailer that is hard to tell from new, and at less than half of its original price. The day may come when we'll feel the need to get something with even more room or more slides, but for now we're in the game and very happy indeed. Good Luck which ever way you choose to go, and welcome to the fraternity, even if its a little premature!

Gene
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #9
Steersall4

I know Aluminum is light weight and I know people say, "Aluminum does not rust" well it corrodes!! as to weight most consider an alum. sided trailer typically weighs more. Me I just got rid of the "old" aluminum on my house and went vynl except trim. looks better even ! which would I rather have hit with hail? you know!
Just go with your own notions cause its really a "Six of one,half dozen of the other" situation. THEN !! Hitch Up, Take Off. "So Many Places, So Little Time".