Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #61
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Yes common sense definitely needs to be used. Keep in mind, my aggravation comes when I'm technically over payload on our "super lite"weight 5th wheel. Now if you see me towing a 12,000-16,000 gvwr 5er with my Ram 2500, please feel free to pull me over and slap me around around a bit
Well towing a 12,360# GVWR 5er with a 2500, so maybe bump that number to about 14,000# and still be within tire and axle capacities.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #62
kfxgreenie

Add me to the list of pulling a 12,000 GVWR 5th Wheel with an advertised pin of 1545 safely with a Ram 2500 Diesel, coil springs.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #63
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
He was probably nearing F350 srw weights limits without the modifications to the truck he made. There has to be some common sense used when willing to go over the 3/4 ton 10000 gvwr. Unfortunately his poor choice of judgement was even before it was legal to smoke pot in California, so no excuses.
I wasn't talking about whether he was overweight or not, I believe that has been figure out as a yes answer on other forums. What I'm curious about is did he get any tickets from the CHP for overweight, failure to yield, etc and if there's a lawsuit, how it would turn out (whether the overweight-ness would make a difference in the court case), how his insurance would handle payouts with being overweight. To have a hard, concrete answer on that type of question would make an interesting debate on how willing people are to tow over their sticker limits when they have a concrete example of the costs to their pocketbook, which seems to make a bigger impact than others sometimes.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #64
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Add me to the list of pulling a 12,000 GVWR 5th Wheel with an advertised pin of 1545 safely with a Ram 2500 Diesel, coil springs.
My bad fellas, just talking about my 5.7L. Y’all are good 😀
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #65
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well towing a 12,360# GVWR 5er with a 2500, so maybe bump that number to about 14,000# and still be within fire and axle capacities.
This has been talked about ad nauseum; there are those that try to follow the rules/laws (safety) and keep themselves/others safe and those that rationalize their decisions. Basing towing decisions based on GAWR and tire ratings, forgetting the entire construction of the vehicle and any other regulated restrictions (SO many more components) that seem to be forgotten, is yes, as funny as the weight police trying to warn folks about the down side of doing the same.

When I was a kid I always thought it was "cool" to find a way to shortcut things or find things I thought the "gubmint" was imposing on me (seatbelts anyone?) to ignore. I found that seatbelts indeed save lives. I found that a wheel will actually leave your trailer if you overload and think "it's all OK".

As Jim asked in another thread, "why do we respond to these kinds of comments" (paraphrased), I guess I have to say that, from time to time, I just feel that someone has to inject some thoughts to tame these claims down in the case that a new person is reading these comments.

Not casting stones or trying to be derogatory, just hope to inject "reality" into some of the optimistic/questionable towing statements made from time to time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #66
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This has been talked about ad nauseum; there are those that try to follow the rules/laws (safety) and keep themselves/others safe and those that rationalize their decisions. Basing towing decisions based on GAWR and tire ratings, forgetting the entire construction of the vehicle and any other regulated restrictions (SO many more components) that seem to be forgotten, is yes, as funny as the weight police trying to warn folks about the down side of doing the same.

When I was a kid I always thought it was "cool" to find a way to shortcut things or find things I thought the "gubmint" was imposing on me (seatbelts anyone?) to ignore. I found that seatbelts indeed save lives. I found that a wheel will actually leave your trailer if you overload and think "it's all OK".

As Jim asked in another thread, "why do we respond to these kinds of comments" (paraphrased), I guess I have to say that, from time to time, I just feel that someone has to inject some thoughts to tame these claims down in the case that a new person is reading these comments.

Not casting stones or trying to be derogatory, just hope to inject "reality" into some of the optimistic/questionable towing statements made from time to time.

Is it “cool” for me to pay more money for a 6.4L and get 1000# more payload when the 5.7L is the identical truck less 50lbs? All you have to do is click the 10,000 GVWR box...There are some that don’t understand that it’s all a marketing tool. Know your GAWR and tire ratings because it’s obvious that the payload numbers are not very reliable. I’m not buying a 1 Ton truck to tow a 9,000lb 5th wheel when my 3/4 Ton does the job perfectly despite being over payload but WELL under axle ratings and combined trailer rating. But to each their own
Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 AM   #67
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
This whole discussion is why I really wish we could find out what happens to this guy with his F-250 from the CHP, and any lawyers/ lawsuits (if involved).

https://youtu.be/DOnxT1S4Irw
Some forum member from some RV site probably told him that as long as his truck was under axle rating he was ok even though he was over his GVWR since those stickers are just propaganda that the govt requires. With all that great info he figured he was good to go!! No rules, just run what ya brung! Lol!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 AM   #68
KHBama

He was probably to dumb to pay the extra money to get the extra 1000lb of payload...although it’s the exact same truck
Old 01-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #69
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
This whole discussion is why I really wish we could find out what happens to this guy with his F-250 from the CHP, and any lawyers/ lawsuits (if involved).

https://youtu.be/DOnxT1S4Irw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Some forum member from some RV site probably told him that as long as his truck was under axle rating he was ok even though he was over his GVWR since those stickers are just propaganda that the govt requires. With all that great info he figured he was good to go!! No rules, just run what ya brung! Lol!

This has been discussed in the thread below.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=31417

It would be interesting to have a follow up as he stated he did run the RED, but that the yellow was like only 2 seconds. I would be nice to know the timing of that light, and if it included an ALL RED, before giving other traffic a green.

I have looked over that video a bit, and based on the footage, the fact that the TH had a in slide entrance door and the CY3600 is the only Cyclone to have this feature these are the specs for that unit.
Please note that the CCC for this unit is 2,140# in a 39" TH . So most likely not only was he towing a 5er that should have 350 DRW, that 5er is most likely over it's GVWR also!

Specifications CY3600
GVWR 17,000 lbs
Dry Weight 14,860 lbs
Hitch Weight 3,375 lbs
Width 8' 5"
Height 13' 3"
Length 39' 4"
Axles (2) 7,000 lbs
Tires ST235/85R16-G

I brought up the issue of this in this thread about axle ratings on trailers, the fact that many 1/2 ton units have extremely low CCC's!

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...820#post269820
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #70
DucBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
This has been discussed in the thread below.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=31417

It would be interesting to have a follow up as he stated he did run the RED, but that the yellow was like only 2 seconds. I would be nice to know the timing of that light, and if it included an ALL RED, before giving other traffic a green.

I have looked over that video a bit, and based on the footage, the fact that the TH had a in slide entrance door and the CY3600 is the only Cyclone to have this feature these are the specs for that unit.
Please note that the CCC for this unit is 2,140# in a 39" TH . So most likely not only was he towing a 5er that should have 350 DRW, that 5er is most likely over it's GVWR also!

Specifications CY3600
GVWR 17,000 lbs
Dry Weight 14,860 lbs
Hitch Weight 3,375 lbs
Width 8' 5"
Height 13' 3"
Length 39' 4"
Axles (2) 7,000 lbs
Tires ST235/85R16-G

I brought up the issue of this in this thread about axle ratings on trailers, the fact that many 1/2 ton units have extremely low CCC's!

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...820#post269820
Tinner12002 that Cyclone sure made a burrito out of the aluminum skinned Ford, got any guacamole!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
400W Solar, 5.5k CO.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #71
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
Problem was he was probably nearing or over 1 ton axle ratings. Throw that in conjunction with a lifted big tire truck, speed, and probably distractions, and walla you get an accident. Isn't anyone here telling anyone to put that kind of weight on any single rear wheel truck IMO. There is a forum member on here with a F250, tool box in the back of his truck towing a Montana 3820FK (Front Kitchen) and using a Demco Hijacker 18K hitch. Now that is a IMO, but that is just that My Opinion.

While we are talking about distractions, look at this new ram interior.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #72
Tinner12002

Yep, probably several issues came into play that day!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #73
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Is it “cool” for me to pay more money for a 6.4L and get 1000# more payload when the 5.7L is the identical truck less 50lbs? All you have to do is click the 10,000 GVWR box...There are some that don’t understand that it’s all a marketing tool. Know your GAWR and tire ratings because it’s obvious that the payload numbers are not very reliable. I’m not buying a 1 Ton truck to tow a 9,000lb 5th wheel when my 3/4 Ton does the job perfectly despite being over payload but WELL under axle ratings and combined trailer rating. But to each their own
I understand what you are saying and don't really KNOW what the difference between the 2 weight ratings is as is the case with most everyone on this forum. We can speculate, but that isn't KNOWING. As far as the 5.7 and 6.4 trucks being identical I can say without a doubt, having owned both, that the 5.7 and 6.4 engines are not identical by any stretch. I doubt that is what you are saying but just wanted to clarify
Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #74
mpgtow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but you can always look up the rating for your specific truck. Punch in your vin

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Looks like after inputting my VIN I received a new payload amount!!! Perfect for a new half ton fifth wheel
Click image for larger version

Name:	9D387D16-B227-44A6-994C-8C2DA148E480.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	15111
mpgtow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #75
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgtow View Post
Looks like after inputting my VIN I received a new payload amount!!! Perfect for a new half ton fifth wheel
Attachment 15111
The Ram towing guide you are directed to isn't correct. All it does is give the max payload for your "type" of vehicle. The sticker on your door will tell you what is accurate - which is probably less. As is always the case.....look at the door.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #76
KSH

If you punch your vin into the look up my vehicle it gives you specific info. Not sure why it doesn't have the right payload. It use to work properly.

KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #77
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
If you punch your vin into the look up my vehicle it gives you specific info. Not sure why it doesn't have the right payload. It use to work properly.

It's the Ram truck towing website. You can put your VIN in as I did and I get my generic truck; body style, engine, CC etc. It then gives you the MAX payload for that type of vehicle. I've not ever seen a generic Ram website that gave specific VIN info....I may have missed it but I haven't seen it. Did what the website tell you match what was on your door?
Old 01-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #78
DucBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It's the Ram truck towing website. You can put your VIN in as I did and I get my generic truck; body style, engine, CC etc. It then gives you the MAX payload for that type of vehicle. I've not ever seen a generic Ram website that gave specific VIN info....I may have missed it but I haven't seen it. Did what the website tell you match what was on your door?
Maybe you can get a new door LOL

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
400W Solar, 5.5k CO.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel