Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2022, 05:31 AM   #1
raptor0818

5 amp fuse blows when refrigerator cooling fan starts

Hello, getting ready to leave for a week, turn on norcold 2118sst frig, next morning it's off, troubleshoot starts, find 5amp fuse blown, replace a few times. Pack three coolers and leave. Have a short discussion with Norcold tech, he states could be a fan or a flapper. Further troubleshooting, replace 5 amp and watch for quite a while and then the exterior fan turns on for a few seconds to cool the coils, runs very brief and the fuse blows. Looking for advice, do you think the fan is the problem or something else.
raptor0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:47 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It could be a corroded fan motor and the fan needs to be replaced or it could be as simple as dirty fan blades that won't "spin up to speed" and are drawing too many amps, in which case, just cleaning the fan blades may fix the problem.

If it's blowing the 5 amp fuse when the fan starts, I'd focus on troubleshooting the fan. Start by simply unplugging the fan and seeing if the fuse blows. If it does, you've eliminated the fan, if it doesn't blow, then remove the fan and clean it, plug it back in (no need to reinstall it just for troubleshooting) and see what happens....

It could be as simple as a brush and a vacuum cleaner or as complex as a fan replacement or, it could be much more complex.... I always start with the simple and move toward complex, but only after ruling out the simple....

So, unplug the fan, see if the fuse blows, if not, clean the fan, go from there.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:55 AM   #3
raptor0818

thanks JRTJH for responding. It's a 2020 frig, when I replace the fuse frig turns on, fan in freezer runs, fans in frig compartment runs, cooling coils get warm and then hotter, exterior fan starts and within a few seconds fuse blows. Maybe I should just order new one.. By the way, the unit has been worked on before, a small circuit board on the left was not screwed in and cover was removed.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:09 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I would not order a new fan, that's just "throwing parts with no fix identified". I would verify the fan is faulty before replacing it. It may be something as simply as a dead wasp hung up in the blades, preventing the fan from reaching speed, overloading the motor and causing the fuse to blow.

With your statement that the control board has been "worked on in the past and the cover is missing" I'd also focus on that area.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE IS 120 VAC ON THAT BOARD AND YOU CAN ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF IF YOU TOUCH THE WRONG THINGS ON THE CONTROL BOARD WHILE POWER IS APPLIED TO THE TRAILER.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:30 AM   #5
Buffettfan

It's an apples to oranges comparison, but out Dometic fridge has a 5 amp fuse on the control board that requires a slow blow fuse.
Not sure if this is your case, but might be worth checking.
Good luck!

Terry, Teri and Lucy
2020 Premier 24RK
'22 Ram 2500
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Buffettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
raptor0818

Thanks Buffetfan, I tried to get a self resetting fuse 5 amp or a slow trip to no avail
Old 05-18-2022, 04:43 AM   #7
raptor0818

Solved the mystery. Got home, pulled the ladder out, removed the upper grill behind frig, replaced fuse, turned frig on, waited 40 minutes, got up on the ladder and videoed the two small fans, patiently waited approx 40 min, was getting tired of the situation and contemplated getting down and removing frig. As I started to move to get down, low and behold the fans kicked on and the left top fan did not move as the other two started to run, within seconds the fuse blew. Yahoo! Solved the problem and ordered a new fan. DW will be very happy that she won't need to live out of coolers. Thank you all for your help.

2021 Alpine 3850rd
2019 ram swd
Old 05-18-2022, 06:25 AM   #8
Buffettfan

Glad you found the problem!

Terry, Teri and Lucy
2020 Premier 24RK
'22 Ram 2500
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Buffettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:00 PM   #9
Socaldave

Great news raptor!
The knowledge of this forum and it's members is what makes things a little more comfortable and saves a boat load of $$$ to be able to perform your own repairs.

Tags
fuse