Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
blay

outlets in retreat

I have a keystone retreat and one thing i dont like although its a small thing is there is no electrical outlets on the dining room slide wall Does anyone have any ideas on installation ?
blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay View Post
I have a keystone retreat and one thing i dont like although its a small thing is there is no electrical outlets on the dining room slide wall Does anyone have any ideas on installation ?
Google "On wall wiring" or wiremold. You'll find plenty of solutions.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
crash

In our Raptor we have most of the outlets in the ceiling what a poor design this is.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
fireplug

I have the springdale with rear kitchen the entire 14' slide had no outlets. I bought an electrical hatch and mounted it outside under the dinete and ran an outlet under the dinette and one on the back of the dinette seat by the sofa it requires using both outlets at the campsite but. it was the easiest fix I could come up with. It also helped i had 30' of good heavy electrical cord laying around.If there is only one available outlet to plug into I can run the cord under the unit and plug in to the outlet on the unit.
fireplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
In our Raptor we have most of the outlets in the ceiling what a poor design this is.
That is pretty bad.. It's like the one kitchen outlet in my Outback that is under the cabinet so that when you plug anything into it, the cord hangs down in the way of everything. I think it's a lack of forethought in the design phase.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Bob, Remember about 10 or 15 years ago when GE (I think) produced an undercabinet coffee pot, toaster oven and can opener? It would be great to have an outlet under the cabinet to plug them in without having to drape cords down to the wall outlets... Maybe Keystone just "got it right" about 15 years too late ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
jsmith948

In our Cougar, all of the 120V outlets are either under a cabinet or midway up the wall. I was wondering if this is done for safety? If there was an undetected propane leak, the gas would tend to settle into the lower areas. Just thinking out loud

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Bob Landry

They do it that way because it's less man hours in manufacturing. When I pulled the microwave to find wiring for my Fantastic fan, I found that the wires for the outlet under the cabinet, and the 12V wires for the range hood light and fan were all routed through the same run. That's much easier and faster than laying it in behind paneling and cabinets. Also, the fact that there are wall outlets lower than kitchen outlets would be negates the safety theory. Then again, it could have just been a short sight and an after thought on the part of the design people. I tend to lean toward the latter.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote