Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
MadMax

Question Satellite Dish on RV Roof

I have a 2008 Cougar 289BHS and am interested in mounting a satellite dish on the roof and looking for any tips regarding this. Is it possible to utilize the TV antenna for mounting the dish (then it could be turned for reception and lowered to roof for travel). I assume the cable can be hooked up to the coax connection at the left rear of the unit so that it will be connected to the TV inside.
Any help would be appreciated.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
randy69

madmax

I was thinking about installing a dish on my unit. I went to the net and look at yours. And I think, Over the intertainment center would be better. Your orginal RV cabling is there and if you buy a dish that self finds satillites you will need additional cable from your dish to the receiver. So through the roof 2 cables needed.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
MadMax

Hi randy69,

I am not too fond of punching any more holes in the unit, especially the roof and would be prepared to run a cable across the roof and over to the coax connection at the left rear of the unit (if this would work).
I don't know anything about the self-finder for satellites but thought there must be a way to do this manually (using the existing manual crank and swivel within the unit. ?)
Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Hi randy69,

I am not too fond of punching any more holes in the unit, especially the roof and would be prepared to run a cable across the roof and over to the coax connection at the left rear of the unit (if this would work).
I don't know anything about the self-finder for satellites but thought there must be a way to do this manually (using the existing manual crank and swivel within the unit. ?)
I don't think you'll find the antenna mast (winegard folding mast) strong enough or stable enough to support a satellite dish especially in the wind.

You may be able to run the cable over to the referigerator vent stack, down inside the RV and then through the wall into the coach. Or possibly down the slide facia and into the coach through the floor at the edge of the slide. If you use white coax, it wouldn't be noticeable where exposed on the side of the RV.

There are options available without having to put additional holes in the roof, however, if you think about it, there's a number of holes already there and if properly sealed, they don't cause a problem. Adding another for the coax and sealing it properly wouldn't be that big of an issue, besides, you're going to have to put 4 (or more) screw holes in the roof to mount the satelliet dish.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
jje1960

Holes in roof

I must say, properly sealed with the self leveling sealer, this is not a problem. Also, when I installed our dome, it came with a plastic plate that goes over the cable hole and after gooping (nice technical term) I was confident of the integrity of the entry of the cables.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
therink

While a dish on the roof would be awesome, there may be many sites where trees can be problematic for reception. I prefer to carry 150' of coax then I put the dish where I want. A lot of trees in our neck of the woods here in upstate New York.
I agree that you would need a very firm mounting area on the roof for dish. I don't think the Winegaurd bracket would be a good idea. With 3/8" decking, there likely isn't a whole lot backing it.
Gotta love that our biggest dilemma is where to put that darn dish. My friends laugh that I make sure when reserving sites that I have a decent SW exposure. Lol

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
MadMax

Thanks to all for your inputs; I have received a lot of very good information and possible solutions.
Thank you all very much. This forum is quite awesome.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
pjhansman

I mount my dish on my ladder (with a holder from Poles and Holders) and it's up high and out of the way. I also carry a tripod and lots of coax cable in case the vegetation gets in the way.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
jje1960

Dome

Realize this is old post.... Just must reiterate, pulling in, pushing button, listening to wizz wizz wizz with the dome and sat acquisition... done. I realize sometimes trees are prohibitive, we still have the tripod and external dish, however have not used it since putting that cheap, used dome on the roof!!!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Jim Dow

Satellite TV

We added a Dish Tailgater (with single receiver) to an existing Dish account for $7/month. The Tailgater is in a selfcontained plastic dome and comes with over 100' of coax. When turned on, the Tailgater locates its satellites automatically (5 min.). Go through the logon procedure with the receiver and you're in business. The coax plugs into the available Cable/Satellite connector.

I modified the coax wiring per the instructions ("Rewire RV for Satellite") found on this forum to get satellite TV in the bedroom and the storage area for outside TV. However, the channels are controlled from where ever the receiver is located; unless I buy another receiver. I used a Klein Coax Tracer unit to be sure I had the right coax cables during the mod of the antenna amplifier.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote