Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #1

Surge Guard Installation Before or After Transfer Switch

We have a 2012 Raptor 300MP (built 5/2011) equipped with generator and automatic transfer switch.

With all the talk of the Iota ITS-50R transfer switches being recalled, I checked out my transfer switch and found that I have the WFCO T-57. Sure glad we don't have the Iota one.

I got a good deal on the 50amp hardwired version of the Surge Guard (Model 34560).

The installation instructions say you can install it on the shore power side protecting the transfer switch and trailer electrical downstream.

The instructions also say you can install the surge protector after the transfer switch so it protects trailer electrical after the transfer switch for either power source.

My plan is to install it on the shore power line because most problems will be caused from faulty campsite power pedistals. This will protect my transfer switch as well. With this installation, I would be taking my chances on the generator side. I figure its a new Onan 5500 so it should be a safe bet. Plus we maybe put 2 hours a year on the generator.

Am I missing anything here? Looking for opinions...
37240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
jimzdat

I installed the same surge device on our Fuzion FZ360 - I chose to install after the transfer, just as an additional safety precaution against low voltage situations (never know what may happen to the generator). Remember - it must be mounted on a vertical surface or on the "ceiling" of whichever compartment it's in - unless they've changed the design recently; keeps it from closing the contactor in the event of a coil failure.

I recently had a transfer switch failure (I had one of the infamous IOTA units) - fortunately, the trailer was in use and we caught the transfer switch in mi-meltdown. Given that heat/loose connections were the guilty party involved in the demise of the transfer switch, the surge guard would have done nothing to protect it.

This is a fairly recent install; so far the only testing that's been done is while it sits next to my garage on its own dedicated 50A circuit.

If interested, I can try and get a pic or two of my install.
jimzdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #3

Pics would be great. I haven't decided where to install it yet. Probably next to the transfer switch.

When you turn on generator how long does it take to energize the electrical. Our generator has about a 2 minute delay, then the surge guard would have an additional couple minute delay too. Of course the extra 4 minutes would let me enjoy an adult beverage while I'm waiting
37240 is offline   Reply With Quote