Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
George

Jacks or blocks?

We have a Cougar 318SAB that is parked at a nearby lake and it will not be moving for at least 18 months. Do I leave it on the 4 corner jacks and tires (tires on planks), or do I set the frame on blocks and take the pressure off of the jacks and tires?

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Jim W

This question will generate a lot of comments maybe?

I too have a 318SAB love it.

In my humble opinion I would leave the tires down and on planks with the stabilizer and front legs being used. I would install some additional stabilizer like the stead fast system to prevent the rocking motion, that can occur as you walk in the 5er. See attached link. http://www.steadyfast.com/

The reason I would not use blocks to support the 5er, is you may tweak the frame when raising the 5er. This can occur as you jack up the frame to put the blocks under the frame. This is mentioned in the O & M guide when jacking up the trailer to change tires be careful that you do not twist or bend the frame in jacking.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
George

Thanks for the advice

Jim & Jill;
Thanks for that! I bet my camping buddy that I was right and your comments echo my concerns - its all about the frame.

On an other topic is your 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins a 150 or 250? How does it handle the 318SAB and have you taken the rig thru any hilly country.

Snowed in in Ottawa
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Jim & Jill;
Thanks for that! I bet my camping buddy that I was right and your comments echo my concerns - its all about the frame.

On an other topic is your 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins a 150 or 250? How does it handle the 318SAB and have you taken the rig thru any hilly country.

Snowed in in Ottawa
George
George,
The Ram is a 2500HD Mega Cab. I would not tow any 5er with a 1/2 ton truck, my opinion.
I drove the truck and trailer combination out west in the Rockies this last summer to CO and WY. The only issue I had was high EGT's when pulling up 7% grades in 6th gear with the trailer attached. Had to drop down to 5th gear to raise the RPM's up enough to cool down the EGT's. Not a big issue just something I keep track of when towing.
My truck is slightly modified, I am using a Smarty S67, with the ME23 software update set on CatCHER level 3, with a 5"TBE and the EGR is blocked off. I also have a complete set of gages Boost, EGT and Trans Temp, for fuel filtering I am using a 5um factory and a 2um aftermarket filter.
I also have an aftermarket oil pan and diff covers front and rear by Mag-Hytec.
I did all of this to set the truck up for towing with the intent of getting at least 200,000 miles before trade in. The truck runs great and towing is pleasant. When towing the trailer I am getting between 13 (on flat land, no wind) and 11 (in the mountains) mpg’s, if I can keep my foot out of it.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote