Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
born2race

Trying to figure out logic of having outside lights master switch in bathroom

We just bought a new 2012 Keystone Raptor 3912LEV. Absolutely love it! But there is one weird question I have.

Why is the garage patio lights controlled by a master switch located in the master bathroom. There are two switches in the rear to turn the on from the garage but the master switch in the bathroom must be on first. Everytime someone uses the bathroom, they naturally turn off that switch. Front patio light is controlled from the master panel.

Is there a blank that I can buy that will fill the switch location and provide constant power?
born2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2race View Post
Is there a blank that I can buy that will fill the switch location and provide constant power?
Presuming that there is another switch for the lights downstream in a place where it is more functional and useful, you could remove the entire switch panel - I am presuming it is a single rocker switch - and replace it with a blank wall plate, just like the ones used in residences.

If it is something different like a rocker switch in a two or three gang panel, how about posting a pic so we can see what you are talking about? That way we can make some informed recommendations for you. There is all kinds of stuff out there for these things, but it really helps to know what you are asking about.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
born2race

Steve,

I have the camper in storage but used a photo from a 2 switch typical home configuration for the example.

In the master bathroom there is a two switch configuration. One controls the bathroom light and the other acts as a master for the outside rear patio light. This switch must be on in order to use the switches in the rear of the camper to control the lights.

I want to put a blank switch in that will always keep the circuit hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01828.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	781  
born2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Remove the switch and just connect the wires together with a wire nut and some electrical tape. (Pull the fuse for that circuit before you work on it.)

Then pick up a plate for a double box with a single switch position. They are readily available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Same stuff as in most of our homes.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
SteveC7010

Pondering this a bit more....

Based on the pic you posted, you are telling me that the switches appear to be standard residential style. Is this correct?

(If the switches are a whole different style, it is important to know that now.)

Old 12-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Steve, Reading his post, it sounds like his trailer is in storage, he couldn't get a picture of the switches so he took a picture of a similar setup in his home. My guess would be that he has a double gang 12VDC switch similar to the ones found in most other Keystone products. It sounds like it's not a 3 way connection based on the statement that it must be on or the rear switches won't work. I'd think it's wired in series with the rear switches so you could turn off the outside lights (if you forgot and left them on) from the bedroom without having to walk all the way to the rear of the trailer.

If it is wired to do what he says, then he should be able to do as you suggested, remove the switch, use a wirenut and connect the two wires together, replace the switch and the panel and the switch would then just be a "dummy switch" I'd suggest, that if there's more than 2 wires connected to the back of that switch, it's not a simple series switch and he should leave it alone unless he is familiar with the wiring in the RV and knows what he is doing. It would be real easy to mess up wiring in a 3 way switch by shorting it all together.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
mhs4771

I wonder if it's supposed to be a three way switch that was mis-wired? Being a 3-way would make more sense, the option to turn lites on or off from any of the 3 locations.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote