Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Bear25314

Stolen RV battery

This is more of a question than a mod but I was wondering if anyone out there has any ideas for me.

We have a 298re stored a few miles away from the house in a covered RV storage lot. Last night we received a call from the lot informing us that our RV battery has been stolen along with other batteries from other RV's stored there. They left a message so I am hoping that that is all they took. I will be headed over there later today to check it out for myself.

My question is, does anyone have a mod or know of a more secure way of keeping the batteries protected from theft? Anyone else ever have this problem and come up with a solution on how to secure the batteries better, rather than have them sitting in the plastic box that is supplied with the rv?

Thanks for you ideas in advance....
Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
Jay Pat

http://b-drvbatterylock.com/
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #3
cumminsdad08

i too have pondered this situation. it has not YET happend, but i am sure that it will in time. i was thinking on just simply getting a small hand tool box big enough for the batt. and bolting it on the frame. most of the box's will have a small hasp that you can put a lock on. it wont stop everyone but i am sure it will keep honest people honest. good luck, i hope everything else is ok for ya.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
jq1031

I remove my battery from the TT when is storage. To my knowledge there is no reason to leave it in & draining. I bring it home, place it on a wood block in my garage & it's safe until the next trip.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
ftwildernessguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
I remove my battery from the TT when is storage. To my knowledge there is no reason to leave it in & draining. I bring it home, place it on a wood block in my garage & it's safe until the next trip.
Mine is stored in my driveway, but nothing kills a battery faster than a cold winter, so bring mine in too. I always charge it up before storing, and keep it in the basement where it stays nice and warm all winter.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
wgb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
X 2, but the metal locking clamp looks like a good idea for you too. I found if I left mine on the TT, I couldn't crank up the fridge to get it cold a day or two prior to our trips because of a dead battery and the inability to fire up the propane. I do not have access to electrical at the storage lot.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Bear25314

Thanks for the replys y'all!

Well, just got back from checking it out. Looks like the whole rv storage site got hit. There were open battery storage boxes and cut straps under the nose of just about every rv stored there. Cut lead wires hanging down from all of them. Bastards. I hope the dam things blow up in there faces...

Always, at least there was no damage or break in to the units. I'm glad for that.

I'm thinking of when I replace the battery and put it back in the storage box on the front of the trailer, getting a chain and padlocking it in. I don't think taking the battery out and putting it in every time we use it is for us. I'd hate to damage the post and it's not very easy to get too. We do however have a "cut off" switch for when it's stored so I'm not worried about draining it in storage. Pissed though.......
Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear25314 View Post
Thanks for the replys y'all!

Well, just got back from checking it out. Looks like the whole rv storage site got hit. There were open battery storage boxes and cut straps under the nose of just about every rv stored there. Cut lead wires hanging down from all of them. Bastards. I hope the dam things blow up in there faces...

Always, at least there was no damage or break in to the units. I'm glad for that.

I'm thinking of when I replace the battery and put it back in the storage box on the front of the trailer, getting a chain and padlocking it in. I don't think taking the battery out and putting it in every time we use it is for us. I'd hate to damage the post and it's not very easy to get too. We do however have a "cut off" switch for when it's stored so I'm not worried about draining it in storage. Pissed though.......
A few years back my then motor home along with others had the 50 AMP power cord cut off by thiefs looking for the copper in the wires. I know how you feel!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #9
mikell

tell your storage lot to get a good quality DVR and a few cameras. I have one set that takes the licence plate of every vehicle comming in and anything moving. Less than $1000 and can record for 2 weeks before writing ovet itself. People at oour campground love the fact there's 16 cameras on them anf they can only find 2-3
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
christopherglenn

Be careful about making you batteries too secure. The same bolt cutters that cut the cables to steal it can smash windows if they don't get what they are after. $100 battery is far cheaper then slashed tires, shattered windows, or spray paint.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
KenBob

We have always removed the batteries from our RVs when in storage. Along with propane tanks. Keep the batts on float chargers until the next outing. Our storage area is fairly secure. However, it is easy for anyone to drive in and look like they are "ok". Never give anyone an opportunity. Including other RVers. Not all RVers are honest. JMHO

How many regularly "visit" their stored RV to check for problems? Or is it "out of sight, out of mind" ?
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
tibbar

Stealing the battery is bad. At least they didn't take the whole RV like they did to my brother.
tibbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
W5WI

I just winterized our 5er. Since I park it away from the house and near our storage units I remove the batteries and propane tanks and place them in the garage. I put the batteries on a trickle charger to keep them ready for our next trip be it later this winter or next spring!

One thing I am planning on doing is to change the locks on the basement and add locks to the propane storage doors. It appears that most every travel trailer made uses the same darn storage lock key...
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #14
Tikitim

Hi Dale

First for safety's sake don't put locks on propane storage doors, put a lock on the steel straps around the tanks, and check this out for locks on basement doors www.ch751.com

Tim
Tikitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
hankaye

Tikitim, Howdy;

Have always been a hugh fan of tubular keyed locks.
However if someone wants in ... they'll get in.
The thing is to make it a pain in the butt to get in with the least
amount of damage....The more obsticles that are in the way the better.
Such as;
Large headed droolin' dog,
signage that states;
This House Guarded by SHOTGUN 3 nights a week...
You Guess which 3.....!
Yes the Dog will bite ...That's why he has teeth!!!

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote