Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

2014-2016 SuperDuty 6.7L Diesel Customer Satisfaction Notification (not a recall)

We were backing out of the garage this morning, mileage on the truck is 36,018 miles. I commented to DW that the warranty has expired so look for the truck to "self destruct any time now".... About that time, the check engine light came on.... YIKES !!!!! So, we drove to Ford, walked in and we all had a good laugh about how Ford programs the computer to "urge owners to buy the extended warranty with that light".....

Anyway, the tech did a vehicle scan and said there's a problem with the CrankCase Ventilation (CCV) oil separator and it needed to be replaced. I got the number for the "Ford Recall", it's Ford 17M04 and affects "some (not all) 2014-2016 F250/350/450 trucks with the 6.7l diesel engine.

Here is a copy of the CS instructions sent to the Ford Service Centers. If you have an intermittent "check engine" light that doesn't seem to be anything else, the Ford Service can do a quick scan and if the right trouble codes come up, they can replace the CCV oil separator free of charge.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RECALL r17M04.pdf (299.9 KB, 953 views)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
BigTexRex

Thanks for posting.
BigTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
busterbrown

What coincidence! Well, at least you got 18 trouble free "post b2b warranty" miles! Maybe that F.O.R.D. acronym has some validity!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There just might be some validity to that LOL

I've been getting daily emails from Ford and the dealership "urging" me to consider the extended warranty. It's $2600 for 125,000 miles or 6 years from inservice date. I can't think of much that would go wrong that would cost more than that since the drive train has a 5 year/50K warranty and the engine has a 100K warranty. I have bought the warranty on a couple of vehicles and never used it even once, so I'm going to gamble that this truck won't break down either.

I wouldn't put it past Ford's marketing division to program something into the computer to "gently push owners toward reconsidering the warranty".... I know that's something unethical and no business would ever do anything unethical, so it would never happen, but it sure did seem suspicious...

But, not even 30 seconds after commenting that the warranty expired 18 miles ago..... It was like the truck was listening to our conversation and as the garage door was going down, the light came on.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-22-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
xrated

Thanks for posting that John....it's good to know!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
MarcS

Just remember, if you purchase an extended service plan, and the person you are buying it from says bumper to bumper, ask them if the bumpers are covered. I know what most finance people say. I also know that neither bumper is covered.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
Just remember, if you purchase an extended service plan, and the person you are buying it from says bumper to bumper, ask them if the bumpers are covered. I know what most finance people say. I also know that neither bumper is covered.
I've owned Ford products exclusively since 1973, so I don't have a lot of experience with Chrysler/GM warranties (brothers in law are all GM employees and "true to the company") so this only applies to Ford's extended warranty. It does cover a lot of components, but after the basic warranty expires, almost all of what is covered are "reliable parts that don't typically fail". Things that do break or things that are going to need repairs are, for the most part, not included in the extended warranty. Seems to me that Ford has run the actuarials list and refined it so much that they know what's going to fail and when.... They (in my opinion) warranty components "right to the day before they statistically will fail"....

Of course, I'm also one who doesn't think life insurance is a "best investment".... Seems strange to make a wager where you have to die to win....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #8
MarcS

We've seen quite a few failures prior to 17M04 being released. All at various mileage. Ford certainly has done their homework on a lot of things. They've extended the CCV coverage for 11 years or 120k miles from warranty start date. For vehicles over the mileage, the coverage last until 8-31-18.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
vampress_me

John, reading through your link I have a question. It’s says (of course) some, not all trucks, and that “Owner Letters are expected to be mailed the week of February 19, 2018.” Since your truck had the problem, did you get a letter in the mail about it so knew this could potentially be an issue?

We’re planning a big trip this summer and since ours is in the year range, I’m just a little curious. And would like to avoid issues while we are gone, like what happened with the truck our last big vacation. Or maybe we just need to stay out of West Yellowstone to avoid any issues....

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Lynette,

No Ford has not sent any information to me about that or any other recall/CS program on my truck. I found out about it when I ran a Vehicle Health Report (via the onboard SYNC system). When I read the VHR on the Owner's website at Ford, that's where I got the first notice. It came up as a "problem area" on the Vehicle Health Report (VHR) and I looked it up from there with a Google search, looking for "17M04" and it came up with the PDF that I attached to the first post.

I talked to the dealer about it the next morning and they were aware of the problem, ran the vehicle scan on my truck and confirmed that mine is one that needs repair. So, parts on order, expected delivery 10-14 days.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
Pmedic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There just might be some validity to that LOL
-----
But, not even 30 seconds after commenting that the warranty expired 18 miles ago..... It was like the truck was listening to our conversation and as the garage door was going down, the light came on.....
We hope for the best, and sometimes get the worse. Sometimes we're blessed, then our curse follows us. I've been on both ends of an extended warranty saga.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote