Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #21
cardinal96ss

We use ours as a rice cooker. 1 C rice, 1 1/2 C water, 1 T light oil. 3 min of high pressure time followed by 7 min, then pressure release. Perfect every time.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #22
RainbowsEnd

There's no replacing locally cooked food but when I'm on the road I'll use the instant pot for ease. Does a really good job on all the basics. Last night I did the Instant Pot Apple Bourbon Pork Chops, very good and so easy!

gearhead you and others are making me miss home. I'm from TX but family from Louisiana. All Cajun here so I know all the traditional cooking. Many decades of genealogy fun but then Cajuns relate to each other so easily! You've mentioned many places that are good to stop going through LA and TX. Off I10, but in my stomping ground is Poche Market & Restaurant. Poche boudin is great, they have their own smokehouse.

We go through Winnie on the way to the beach. In Liberty TX, a Whittington friend has done research with us. Can't wait to get back down there, missing all this food!
RainbowsEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #23
canesfan

Great. Thanks. Now here's something else I "need". Maybe I'll just get one for the house and confiscate it when I go out.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #24
notanlines

Okay, let's say for the sake of argument I decided to drop some coin on one of these.....which model? The blue-tooth model for a couple hundred? Or the LUX60 model on sale at Wally World for $79.00?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #25
RainbowsEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Okay, let's say for the sake of argument I decided to drop some coin on one of these.....which model? The blue-tooth model for a couple hundred? Or the LUX60 model on sale at Wally World for $79.00?
I was given the blue tooth as a gift and do find it nice but it's not necessary at all. One of the differences is in the yogurt making option which the LUX60 doesn't do. And yes it does amazing yogurt. The Lux has less functions but think it will do most everything you want. There are several newer models and options. If you get the LUX60 and decide you want another then jump on them at the Black Friday Sales which were amazing! People that use these often have several LOL If you learn more about this machine and how to use it you may want a second inner pot. However they're $35 or so in price which is half the price of an entire new one. Which is why people are picking up a second one!

Interesting read on comparisons here.

If you look on Amazon for them you'll see comparison of the units usually toward the bottom of the information section.

Any specific question?
Old 02-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #26
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I was wondering the exact same things. There is a good Q&A at the bottom of this page
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...et_feature_div
that compares a couple models.

There is also a LUX50 at Amz for $78
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...et_feature_div

Not sure how big of one I'd need for camping.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #27
gkainz

I always expect bad things to show up every time I google for "instant pot recipes" ... this being Colorado and all ...
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #28
RainbowsEnd

I will also add that you can use it as a slow cooker, so do look at all the options that these machines will do and see which one fits your needs. The 6 qt is fine for the two of us but they have come out with an 8 qt now. For many it is a faster way to cook good meals and wow forget thawing your chicken, it cooks it from frozen! There are an amazing amount of recipes available now. After a day of fun while traveling it's nice to know you can have a nice meal quickly even after you dig something out of the freezer!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #29
Mandolin

There are a lot of brands out there, many of which do the same thing in just slightly different ways. The "yogurt" function on some (not all) of the Instant Pots is not a pressure cooking setting, it is more of a boil setting for making yogurt or ricotta (I have done both and it comes out very well. Also from-scratch chocolate pudding.)

While many of the pressure cookers have a "saute" function - pretty much universally loved - the slow cooker settings are less popular. In part because people don't read the manual and decide that the slow cook settings of low, medium and high are the same thing and they aren't, "low" is really just "keep warm" and doesn't cook well.

The semi-"cute" thing about the Instant Pot is that it has pretty much a cult following and there are a ton of tested recipes out there in the great wild internet.

I have a bluetooth-equipped 6 gt Instant Pot and I wouldn't bother with the bluetooth again, I don't think what you get for the extra money is really worth it. I'd spend the extra money on extra sealing rings so you have one for meats/stews/soups and one for rice (it is an excellent and fast rice cooker) or other "delicate" foods - the silicone ring tends to pick up odors, although I have not noticed that the odors actually show up in the food.

There are actually even 10qt models in other brands now, way too big for us.

It is a great tool to have on the road.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #30
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowsEnd View Post
There's no replacing locally cooked food but when I'm on the road I'll use the instant pot for ease. Does a really good job on all the basics. Last night I did the Instant Pot Apple Bourbon Pork Chops, very good and so easy!

gearhead you and others are making me miss home. I'm from TX but family from Louisiana. All Cajun here so I know all the traditional cooking. Many decades of genealogy fun but then Cajuns relate to each other so easily! You've mentioned many places that are good to stop going through LA and TX. Off I10, but in my stomping ground is Poche Market & Restaurant. Poche boudin is great, they have their own smokehouse.

We go through Winnie on the way to the beach. In Liberty TX, a Whittington friend has done research with us. Can't wait to get back down there, missing all this food!
Bo and Nell Whittington?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #31
RainbowsEnd

Exclamation

gearhead Yep
Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #32
gearhead

I figured! Nell is a cousin through my Reeves in Old River. Bo's DNA says he is a Cole cousin. Me and Nell call each other "cuz". I just saw her Tuesday at Liberty County Gen Society meeting. Small world.
Iowa Louisiana or Iowa the sate?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #33
RainbowsEnd

Indeed small world! Iowa the state working but will be back home for good soon! Happy Camping