Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

I've got a diesel 30 HP 4x4 farm tractor. This year I bought a 5' wide 3 point PTO driven snowblower for the rear. It's 30" tall and will blow snow 50'+. I run chains on the front and rear wheels, yesterday I got it "bogged down and stuck" two times. The second time I had to disconnect the snow blower and dig it out with the front end loader on the tractor. They say that we're getting more snow in January than we got in December and we had 70" last month. I'm thinking we might want to head to south Texas in February rather than in March like we've planned......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:51 AM   #22
xrated

Just remember.........anyone complaining about the snow/cold/ice/sleet/winter hassles.............."You had all summer to move!"
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:32 AM   #23
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I've got a diesel 30 HP 4x4 farm tractor. This year I bought a 5' wide 3 point PTO driven snowblower for the rear. It's 30" tall and will blow snow 50'+. I run chains on the front and rear wheels, yesterday I got it "bogged down and stuck" two times. The second time I had to disconnect the snow blower and dig it out with the front end loader on the tractor. They say that we're getting more snow in January than we got in December and we had 70" last month. I'm thinking we might want to head to south Texas in February rather than in March like we've planned......
70" of snow........Good Lord......what part of the country are you in?...............

Never mind, I just looked at your profile page.....Michigan....that explains it! I just couldn't do it anymore, living in a snow belt.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:48 AM   #24
xrated

I couldn't wait until full daylight, and thought these looked pretty cool.....

Looks like I got the RV Carport just in time.....Whew!

It's still snowing a little, but our total looks like it will about 5". Certainly not Epic, but a substantial snowfall for our area of E. TN. Suppose to be in the mid to upper 60's by this coming Friday. Woot!

Old 01-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #25
gearhead

26F as we speak. I forgot to isolate the sprinkler back flow valve. I had built a wooden box to cover it and lined that with sleeping bag pad material. Another freeze for tonight. I'll pry myself away from the fireplace and block it in mid day.
Bigfoot is 90% packed sitting in the driveway to boogity boogity to Tulsa Monday.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #26
canesfan

Probably have about 7" so far, calling for 6 more. When we get an inch everything shuts down for days, schools for a week. Can't wait to see how this plays out. Amazingly food stores still had food on the shelves yesterday, even eggs. Have 8 cases of beer in the garage and some shine in the RV. I think I'm prepared to ride it out.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
70" of snow........Good Lord......what part of the country are you in?...............

Never mind, I just looked at your profile page.....Michigan....that explains it! I just couldn't do it anymore, living in a snow belt.
According to the weather service, we're at 110" of snowfall so far this season. That's about 30" above the average. Our "problem" has been a "warmer than usual" fall which has delayed the surface ice on the Great Lakes. With our typical winds from the northwest (out of Canada) the wind picks up moisture over the lakes and literally DUMPS it on the northern half of Michigan's lower peninsula. This week we've had a constant NW wind and the snow keeps falling and falling and falling...... We're supposed to get a SW wind late next week. That'll bring in some warmer Gulf air, but with it comes ice from the increased moisture.

As long as we can get out on the snowmobiles, the trailer is safely tucked away in the pole barn and the truck is in the garage, it's all "good" ... well, "as good as it gets when it's -15F with a 30 MPH wind bringing in more snow....

The nice part of it is being able to get up, pour a cup of coffee, open the front blinds and look out at the "MESS" and know that I don't have to go out in it until I want to. That's a lot different than back when we had to go to work and didn't have a choice to just "pour another cup and stay warm"......

Along with that, at least we're prepared for this type of weather. I well remember Alexandria, LA, where an inch of snow literally shut down the entire city for days on end. So, if "ya gotta be in snow" at least be in it somewhere that's equipped to handle it..... Atlanta and the entire southeastern part of the US is going to be much worse off than we are up here with our 100" of white powder................... I don't envy them this weekend at all !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #28
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
According to the weather service, we're at 110" of snowfall so far this season. That's about 30" above the average. Our "problem" has been a "warmer than usual" fall which has delayed the surface ice on the Great Lakes. With our typical winds from the northwest (out of Canada) the wind picks up moisture over the lakes and literally DUMPS it on the northern half of Michigan's lower peninsula. This week we've had a constant NW wind and the snow keeps falling and falling and falling...... We're supposed to get a SW wind late next week. That'll bring in some warmer Gulf air, but with it comes ice from the increased moisture.

As long as we can get out on the snowmobiles, the trailer is safely tucked away in the pole barn and the truck is in the garage, it's all "good" ... well, "as good as it gets when it's -15F with a 30 MPH wind bringing in more snow....

The nice part of it is being able to get up, pour a cup of coffee, open the front blinds and look out at the "MESS" and know that I don't have to go out in it until I want to. That's a lot different than back when we had to go to work and didn't have a choice to just "pour another cup and stay warm"......

Along with that, at least we're prepared for this type of weather. I well remember Alexandria, LA, where an inch of snow literally shut down the entire city for days on end. So, if "ya gotta be in snow" at least be in it somewhere that's equipped to handle it..... Atlanta and the entire southeastern part of the US is going to be much worse off than we are up here with our 100" of white powder................... I don't envy them this weekend at all !!!!!
As a climate change skeptic I'm glad, but not happy for you.

Heavy snow (lake effect) in Carson City as "we speak", but nothing going on at my 12F location except the Piñon providing welcome BTU's in the fireplace.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #29
hankpage
Site Team

We are getting some much needed rain today and 10:00am temp was a chilly 68F while checking home security cams and watching neighbors shovel. ..... exhausting.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #30
xrated

That's the way to do it.. ^^^^^^ go to a warm place, and then if you want to see snow, fire up the old computer and watch it through your home security cameras....Brilliant!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #31
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Probably have about 7" so far, calling for 6 more. When we get an inch everything shuts down for days, schools for a week. Can't wait to see how this plays out. Amazingly food stores still had food on the shelves yesterday, even eggs. Have 8 cases of beer in the garage and some shine in the RV. I think I'm prepared to ride it out.
At that rate you may not know when the thaw comes! [emoji16]

Stay safe.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #32
gearhead

In Tulsa for the Chili Bowl midget races. Took the cab over instead of the 5th. Figured the chances of a ice storm is 50/50. Yep, ice storm started Friday. Yesterday afternoon I decided to take the trash out. Took the first step out on the scissor steps. At least .250" of ice on them. I'm doing the hokey pokey trying to keep my feet under me. Somehow kept myself from going head first into the asphalt. You know how it goes....look around to see if anyone saw it.
Christopher Bell won from the pole. But it was a good week....350+ midgets.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #33
the sodfather

Well we got down to 17 where I store my Bullet. I did a quick winterize as usual. One plumbing casualty. Dometic toilet valve. Glad I checked everything before we headed out. Ran to Crestview RV to pick one up. $58! Are you freaking kidding me! Of course Amazon had them fo $39 but I needed it now. SO, I took a short. Drive down to Camping World.. $42 and change out the door. Whew....
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #34
Desert185

Well, my son (currently a warm blooded Houstonian) was the overflow guest in the trailer for Christmas. It got down to 4F one night while he was here. Blew though a bottle of propane, even with the "fireplace" roaring. No hokey pokey. Mostly clear and cold.

9" of recorded precip so far this year. A record for us and the most in 17 years for the Reno area. Some hoky pokey going on, but no one to see it, so it didn't happen.

Another moderate atmospheric river approaching for Wednesday. The only midget around here is my dog Charlie, and his belly is dragging in the snow.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #35
gearhead

Woke up to 34F at 7am. Long johns and wool socks. Packed up, drained tanks, and discovered how hard it is to coil the very cold 30amp cord up in the rat hole. Fired up the Ram and drove 2 blocks to Whataburger for, what else, a taquito, crispy bacon please. Roads looked good, even the bridge over the Arkansas river. News said the worst of the ice storm was north and west of Tulsa. Refueled in Mt. Pleasant. Trail mix and chex snack for lunch. Turned on the A/C about Nacogdoches. Rolled in to Liberty at 430pm somewhere around 76F. Bud light and a warm bath.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS