Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #1
{tpc}

Bedroom side tv mount - 2300BH

So we have found a tv to mount in the bedroom. The question is how to mount it to the entertainment center? We don't have the spinning TV (obviously) and the cabinet on the bedroom has a hole to allow for the wires to come through.

The question is, what kind of depth are we talking for screws, and how can I figure out where the studs might be?

For the screw depth, I think I can pull the ones from the front mount and see how long they are.

Also, I have no need for an articulating mount on this side, so would it be ok to use a mount like this?:

I would be installing on the opposite side of this tv (couldn't find that pic):

Because this is a 2300bh, I don't have the pocket doors to contend with. I have played around with the mount that holds the front tv, and it appears to be fastened into something solid. I know this because I tightened the screws at one point, and they were biting in pretty good.

I wonder if I remove the radio, if there is any access to the middle of the entertainment area, or if it is just one piece of laminate wood top to bottom with the side and cabinet pieces overtop of that?

Also, for what it is worth, the TV I am adding only weighs like 11 pounds so it is fairly light weight. Maybe there is a more flush mount style of mount that isn't articulating that might work better?
Old 07-10-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

Could you remove the TV from the console and then use the proper size bolts to go through the wood and secure the mount on the other side? Essentially using the same bolts for both TV's.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #3
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Could you remove the TV from the console and then use the proper size bolts to go through the wood and secure the mount on the other side? Essentially using the same bolts for both TV's.
Wouldn't work because we like the articulating mount on the other side of the console. It is a good idea though.

I have to think there are some sort of studs in there. The one that is already mounted is a fairly heavy mount, even without the tv attached, and it is holding up just fine. I figure the new tv and a mount combined probably weighs less than that mount alone.

If I was going to part a articulating mount just like it on the opposite side, I probably would feel ok mounting it, because (and I know this is wrong to think) I am guessing that the structure is "mirrored" on each side. But what runs across the middle area? How "thick" is it?

The idea is for this tv, if I put a fixed mount in there I won't have to deal with the rubber band strap like I do on the front. I can just hang it and forget it. And no need to articulate it in the bedroom area.

Now that I think about it, probably not a necessity to articulate it in the front room area, however we do actually do that when using the dinette, or point it towards the door or window if I want to glance at it on occasion from the outside.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
BirchyBoy

What I proposed wouldn't interfere with the articulation on the front. What I mean is to use a bolt that would secure both backing plates on opposites sides of the existing studs. Replace the existing screws with bolts and then then drill corresponding holes on the bedroom mounting plate.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
What I proposed wouldn't interfere with the articulation on the front. What I mean is to use a bolt that would secure both backing plates on opposites sides of the existing studs. Replace the existing screws with bolts and then then drill corresponding holes on the bedroom mounting plate.
Ahh I see. It is possible that it would work for that one area, if the holes for the mounting plat on the front, line up.

The mount that holds the front tv on is this, or at least looks very similar:

Old 07-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
CFDfireman90

There is solid wood in between the two sides that the tv mount is attached to. I investigated it because I wanted to do the same thing. The problem we found was that to put a tv on the bedroom side it would be to low to be able to watch comfortably in bed. I ended up going higher with it. Unfortunately it ended up being mounted on a single thickness panelling. To deal with this, I backed up the tv mount with some aluminum angle iron to stiffen it up. I used a basic mount that can tilt up and down from Best Buy.
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
GT2400BH

I have the newer version but almost same set up. I was able to tap on it with a wooden hammer handle and could tell where it was more solid. Right on the back side of the front one offset it a little worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	9025  
Old 07-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
campertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2400BH View Post
I have the newer version but almost same set up. I was able to tap on it with a wooden hammer handle and could tell where it was more solid. Right on the back side of the front one offset it a little worked great.
how bout some pictures?
Old 07-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
GT2400BH

For some reason I can't post more than one photo at a time. Must be something with the iPad.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	215
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	9026  
Old 07-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
{tpc}

Ok so it's solid between the two that is awesome. Did you use the screws that came with the mount? Or did you get shorter ones?

Is that the best buy rocket fish mount? I swear it looks identical to a mount I put up for my folks in a spare bedroom when my mom broke her leg.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #11
GT2400BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Ok so it's solid between the two that is awesome. Did you use the screws that came with the mount? Or did you get shorter ones?

Is that the best buy rocket fish mount? I swear it looks identical to a mount I put up for my folks in a spare bedroom when my mom broke her leg.
Yes the screws that came with mount. It's a Mor/Ryder mount. I have to stay behind the sliders Doors.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	152
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	9028  
Old 07-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
{tpc}

Oh so the slider doors go on the other side of the console? For some reason I had it in my mind that the console was thicker to allow for the doors to go inside like "pocket" doors.

Was just looking at that mount...I may have to go with that one. Does it lock in place tight? Can you travel with the TV attached and no worry that it will come loose?
Old 07-14-2015, 04:51 AM   #13
jamesmc321

I have almost the same mount on mine.

That wall, between the front and bedroom is about 1" think (particale board, but still an inch) measure to verify.

As long as you aren't trying to mount a 50" projector on the bedroom side, just put the mount up and your done. Mine actually has a peice of trim on the BR side that brings it out another 1/2" or so. I drilled a hole behind the TV (bedroom) and ran the wires behind the front TV (so no wires in bedroom and can't see them from the front).

Have fun!
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:04 AM   #14
GT2400BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2400BH View Post
Yes the screws that came with mount. It's a Mor/Ryder mount. I have to stay behind the sliders Doors.
Home so i can add all my photo's. we uses a 19; TV. the doors have to be closed to watch TV but the doors slide past the TV. Not crazy about always closing the doors but with a smaller TV that don't have to be all the way closed
If i was going to buy another TV for this application i would buy one that had the remote sensor as close to the middle of the TV as possible,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	9125   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (6).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	9126   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (10).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	9127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	9128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	9129  

Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #15
{tpc}

Just wanted to update this thread. Got the MOR/Ryde mount and did the install this past weekend. The tv I mounted fills the spot pretty much. I got it mounted but I only used the 4 outer holes on the mounting plate.

This took a bit of time to get it marked up, centered, and as level as I could get. I did run into 2 issues, though time will tell exactly how much an issue they are.

First issue. After drilling the first 2 pilot holes on the left side of the bracket (top and bottom) I proceeded to the right side, only to find out after that there isn't anything solid behind that right side to drill into. Luckily, the wood veneer (or whatever it is called), was thick enough to allow for the pilot hole, and to allow the supplied wood screw to bite into it and tighten up without splitting the wood. Because of this if you grab the tv and wiggle it, it has a bit of wiggle on that side.

Second issue. I measured to fit the TV in the "middle" of the open area, or maybe just a tad high of middle. 32 inch fits nice, looks good, etc. The issue is with the mount. The way you remove the tv from the mount is to lift up, tilt bottom towards you, then up a little more, until it releases. However, I didn't leave enough room at the top so I wasn't able to remove it because it hits the top of the cabinet some. I didn't try as hard as I could, so I might be able to do it, but it seems pretty tight as far as that goes.
Luckily I had attached and routed the power and HDMI cables through prior to putting it into the mount.

Just some things to keep in mind for those using this type of mount. I feel that if I need to I could get a ratcheting box wrench in there to remove it. I also feel that its not going to break the panel (because of the lack of backing wood on one side), though if that happens it will just give me reason to make it more secure. The TV I mounted only weighs about 10 lbs (thanks leds!), so I think it will be ok. I checked it after moving it back to storage and it seems fine. I'll report back after I have a few hundred miles of bouncing around on it lol.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #16
Rogergreenb

Same setup. I installed a 19inch TV on the bedroom side of our passport. It's thin veneer but the tv is light. The brackets easily holds it.