Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
oldcow

Avoiding NYC and Philadelphia

We are planning a trip the second week of September driving from New Brunswick Canada to Egg Harbour NJ. I will be working for a couple days and then be on vacation for 2 weeks. We are thinking a few days in the Lancaster PA area and then head north to NH. Hopefully find something interesting mid way and stop for some time. Any suggestions on places to saty and campgrounds are welcome.

My main question is the following. How far north of NYC and Philadelphia should we be to avoid any serious congestion and or traffic confusion? We are towing a 34' Outback TT.

Oldcow
oldcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Time of day as apposed to route will avoid traffic. I95 in the late evening will get you across the George Washington Bridge to the New Jersey Turnpike with the least amount of traffic. I do not like the Garden State Parkway northern section and prefer taking the turnpike to exit 11 and getting on the GSP south from there. (JMHO) Once on the GSP south Friday evening and weekday rush-hour traffic must also be avoided. Also be sure to have a pocketful of US $ as these are all toll roads.(you may want to look into getting an EZpass account to make things less complicated) It is accepted for NY, NJ, Penn and other tolls and billed directly to a credit card or prepaid account. Now that I have scared the heck out of you, Once you get here I think you will enjoy NJ and that is a great time of year to be in that area. JM2¢, Hank ......... NJ EzPass website
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
cdawrld

I would suggest taking 84 through Connecticut. Over Tappenzee bridge, rt 287. Over to Garden state parkway. The way I go to Boston from NJ. Hankpage is correct in wanting to avoid the parkway at certain times of day. Traffic can be bad. People will cut you off and really test your brakes. $6 tolls every few miles up north section. If you take 95 over George w. bridge be prepared to pay big in tolls and ride some really rough roads.
Check Ocean city NJ for a nice "Jersey shore" boardwalk experience.
cdawrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawrld View Post
I would suggest taking 84 through Connecticut. Over Tappenzee bridge, rt 287. Over to Garden state parkway. The way I go to Boston from NJ. Hankpage is correct in wanting to avoid the parkway at certain times of day. Traffic can be bad. People will cut you off and really test your brakes. $6 tolls every few miles up north section. If you take 95 over George w. bridge be prepared to pay big in tolls and ride some really rough roads.
Check Ocean city NJ for a nice "Jersey shore" boardwalk experience.
What he says!!! 84 to 287 is the way I go. I would go twice as far to avoid 95 and the G.W. Bridge pulling a camper.
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Pmedic4

Not the George Washington!

Definitely the Tappan Zee. Unfortunately the TZ didn't use to have a toll going west-to-east, assume it still doesn't, but you might be going the other way.

You might even want to consider going I84 to I87 / I287 to avoid the eastern side of NJ unless you really want to see NYC skyline. From there, you can take several routes to make it much more pleasant - maybe further but much less traffic.

Enjoy the trip!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

I would and do run I84 to I684 to I287 toward white planes and the tapanzee bridge still no toll going that way. if you stay on I84 to 287 you will be way north. or stay on 84 and run that into Pa if that is where you want to go first just avoid I95 and the GW bridge, It stinks no matter what time of day or night. plus if you have a break down by the bridhe we will never hear from you again. enjoy the trip
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
villui

I'm familiar with that route. Good advice.

QUOTE=cdawrld;128096]I would suggest taking 84 through Connecticut. Over Tappenzee bridge, rt 287. Over to Garden state parkway. The way I go to Boston from NJ. Hankpage is correct in wanting to avoid the parkway at certain times of day. Traffic can be bad. People will cut you off and really test your brakes. $6 tolls every few miles up north section. If you take 95 over George w. bridge be prepared to pay big in tolls and ride some really rough roads.
Check Ocean city NJ for a nice "Jersey shore" boardwalk experience.[/QUOTE]
villui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

ONE QUICK THOUGHT. ARE YOU TOWING? IF YOU ARE THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY IS OFF LIMITS!!!!!. YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE THE JERSEY TURNPIKE. JUST BE PREPARED TO PAY A TOLL EVERY 50 FEET WELL IT FEELS THAT WAY. ENJOY THE TRIP.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
cdawrld

^^^ I believe Non commercial trucks are allowed to tow the full length of the Garden State Parkway. I get charged $6 a toll no questions asked
cdawrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
oldcow

Thanks for the suggestions. Plans have changed and no longer going to NJ. We are leaving Moncton and heading down on I95 from Houlton ME to 495 to I90 to I84 and at some point get to Bird In Hand PA. I would prefer secondary roads if the weather is good and am considering route 20 from Westborough MA to Southwick MA, our first stop. Anyone know this road, would it be much slower than taking I90 all the way? If I had 3 months I would avoid most Interstate as I prefer a more relaxed pace but I only have 14 days. We are spending 7 days in Lancaster county then up to North Conway NH for another 7 days. Can't wait.

Oldcow
oldcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcow View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Plans have changed and no longer going to NJ. We are leaving Moncton and heading down on I95 from Houlton ME to 495 to I90 to I84 and at some point get to Bird In Hand PA. I would prefer secondary roads if the weather is good and am considering route 20 from Westborough MA to Southwick MA, our first stop. Anyone know this road, would it be much slower than taking I90 all the way? If I had 3 months I would avoid most Interstate as I prefer a more relaxed pace but I only have 14 days. We are spending 7 days in Lancaster county then up to North Conway NH for another 7 days. Can't wait.

Oldcow
Enjoy your vacation ... New Jersey is going to miss you. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote