Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
AlbertaRvMan

Hitch? 2011 Yukon XL and 2014 Premier 31BHPR

Hello,

I know, another hitch question. I've read through various threads.

I am hoping I can get some specific recommendations for my tow vehicle (2011 Yukon XL 6.0L) and my travel trailer (2014 Premier 31 BHPR). The trailer is 35'4" in length. Dry weight of trailer is 6457 lbs. total (max) weight of trailer loaded is 8000 lbs.

We pick up the trailer in late April. We paid for a hitch and free install. I had asked the dealer for the very best hitch (reduce sway, correct weight distribution,,...) I emphasized that safety was the top priority. The highways we drive on are not twinned and we pass several semis and large loads. There are huge wind gusts.

I asked the dealer for the specific make/model that were going to install.

The dealer said he will have the service people call me with the details but said they were going to install a "RV PRO Hitch".

I am fearful this is just some cheap, generic, standard hitch.

I will post more specifics as the service staff provides them.

I also asked the dealer to tell me what hitch brands / models they sell as i suspense this would limit my choices.

I am looking for guidance / suggestions for my specific setup.

Thanks.
AlbertaRvMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

The only hitch I see is a fifth wheel hitch. I hope I'm looking in the wrong places!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
AlbertaRvMan

Premier 31bhpr - travel trailer

Hello,
Just to clarify, my 31 bhpr is a travel trailer.
Thanks.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
chartrand

I did a google search and that hitch has the old fashion sway control that includes the second bar that needs to be removed in order to backup. No way I would recommend a hitch like that with the TV and trailer you have. I would suggest you keep looking. I personally recommend one of four hitches, the Reese,an Equalizer, Propride or Hensley. First two or cheaper but are probably among the best. The second two are in a league all there own, they are expensive, but considered the premium of hitches by most.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
lightning79

Hey fellow Albertan, I teach just outside of High Level!

I have an RV Pro hitch, it was assembled and installed by my dealer when I got my trailer just under two years ago. It's a basic hitch, with a chain for each bar, and one small anti-sway bar that hooks onto the side.

With my setup (3/4 ton diesel pulling a trailer just under 18 feet) it works fine, but for your setup, I'd go for something else. If you have the trailer properly loaded and weighed, then an Equalizer, Reese Dual Cam, or the Blue Ox (which also gets good reviews) would probably be a better idea than the RV Pro.

Kevin
Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
AlbertaRvMan

Anderson, Fastway, used ProPride

Hello,

Well I spoke with my dealership. They sell the following hitches

1) Pro hitch
- I was told this was an entry level hitch,
- sway bar must be added

2) Anderson Eq
- sway control built in
- anti bounce
- chain style

3) Fastway (trunnion style)

The dealer was highly recommending the "Anderson" hitch.

I also asked about ProPride and Hensley.

The dealer did say that ProPride worked great, but are very expensive ($3500 new), but he then said he has a client who has become a good friend who bought his ProPride for $1400 and was looking to sell it since he does not go RvIng much to justify the cost. The dealer will look into if this is an option.

Based on this feedback I am interested to hear more recommendations. I would be nervous about using a used hitch, should I be? I assume the dealer should be ensuring it is not damaged and works as they will be installing it.

What are your thoughts on Anderson and Fastway, I think the Pro hitch is defiantly out!

I would have thought the trunnion style would be better then chains, not sure why the dealer recommends Anderson over Fastway.

I watched a few youtube videos on Anderson, looks like you must tighten the chains for weight distribution, not sure if that's a big deal or not.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
Hercules1978

I own an older BlueOx SwayPro and love it.
No noise
No greasy spring bars
Easily upgraded for additional tongue weight
Built in and adjustable sway control

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
GaryWT

I originally wanted a blue ox combined sway and weight but my dealer had the equalizer combined sway and weight so that is what I have. I like it, does make some noise but not too bad.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
chartrand

I just purchased a pro pride for my bullet premier (22RBPR) and it was more like $2500 not $3500. Buying one used is ok, but you will not get the lifetime warranty, that is available to the original owner only. If your ok with that and can get the right sized propride (there are 4 sizes now) for $1400 it may be a good deal.

Another option is to purchase the equalizer online and do the install yourself.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
AlbertaRvMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
I just purchased a pro pride for my bullet premier (22RBPR) and it was more like $2500 not $3500. Buying one used is ok, but you will not get the lifetime warranty, that is available to the original owner only. If your ok with that and can get the right sized propride (there are 4 sizes now) for $1400 it may be a good deal.

Another option is to purchase the equalizer online and do the install yourself.

Good things to consider (ensure the ProPride is sized right for my vehicle and also the warranty).

I've recently watched several videos and read several articles on both the Equalizer as well as the Andersen hitch. I have to say, I'm liking both, there very similar.

I think I like the Andersen more...
Old 03-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
audio1der

Hiya fellow Albertan! With the wind gusts, semis short wheelbase and long trailer I would HIGHLY suggest the Propride.
I have upgraded my Reese trunion to the dual cam, and we still get pushed around with a same trailer length and possibly longer wheelbase TV (Ram 1500 crew cab). I am upgrading to a propride, grudgingly, after paying out for this inadequate Reese setup. Our safety is priceless. I also want to be able enjoy the trip and not gripe about towing.
Just food for thought. You can have a Propride shipped up here for a hair under $3K including shipping, GST and duty. That only gets more expensive if you buy something else $500-900 and THEN still need to upgrade.
These long bunkhouse trailers just have too much side area for wind, passing trucks etc for anything less than a long wheelbase 3/4 ton TV. I genuinely feel the Propride is the only solution.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
AlbertaRvMan

Thumbs up Picked up TT, Anderson hitch

Picked up our 2014 premier 31bhpr yesterday.

Had the Anderson hitch installed and I must say I was very happy with its performance.

For those unfamiliar with northern alberta just google highway 63. It's a deadly, untwinned highway with very large loads constantly passing. Many many fatalities. I was nervous before the drive.

I was expecting some gusts from passing vehicles, but I was never pushed around.

Fuel economy was terrible (but expected). Approx 28L/100 km vs 16 L/ 100 km when not towing on the highway.

I would highly recommend this hitch.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
GaryWT

Congrats on getting the trailer, glad it towed well. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #14
HappyCamperMN

Congratulations! We're 3-4 weeks away from getting ours. Can't wait!

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote