Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
njcamper95

Battery ?

my 05 cougar tt is doing something weird my battery is new in jan. i just finished trickle charging it and as per the charger charge is complete i hook it up and when i go inside and touch the panel the battery reads all 4 lights once i put a light on it goes to 2/3 a second light makes it go to 1/3 any other light go to E but all lights are bright if i turn them off it goes back to 2/3 i hooked up my truck and it still doesnt get better then 2/3 on house current it reads full any ideas im thinking maybe my panel is going bad or maybe a ground issue????????
njcamper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
slewis1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcamper95 View Post
my 05 cougar tt is doing something weird my battery is new in jan. i just finished trickle charging it and as per the charger charge is complete i hook it up and when i go inside and touch the panel the battery reads all 4 lights once i put a light on it goes to 2/3 a second light makes it go to 1/3 any other light go to E but all lights are bright if i turn them off it goes back to 2/3 i hooked up my truck and it still doesnt get better then 2/3 on house current it reads full any ideas im thinking maybe my panel is going bad or maybe a ground issue????????
You may try going to this web site as it gives some very good information about batteries and chargers. It is a long read as he talks about solar panels but there is an abundance of information about the batteries, battery monitors, chargers, etc. The site is: http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/t...ging-puzzle-2/
Hope this helps!
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers, Trailair Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box, Curt 20K Slider Hitch, Firestone Dual Air Ride System with Load Lifter Air Bags, Tri-Metric Battery Monitor System, Power Max PM4B-75 Boondocker Converter/Charger, Replaced 2-12volt batteries to 2-6V Trojan T106 batteries, replaced all 921 light bulbs with LED's.
slewis1694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
SteveC7010

The four little lights that give battery condition are not very reliable. They read the voltage of the system, and as soon as it drops below some predetermined value, it reads 2/3 instead of full, and so on. If you shut the lights off, the battery should go back to reading full. You would be better served by installing a volt meter or better on the 12vdc side of things. There are a number of products out there like the Battery Minder that will give you much better info.

Read over the info in the links that slewis1694 gave you. There are others that are useful as well like http://www.marxrv.com/

Some internet searching as well as searching here will yield a lot of info.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
GaryWT

I say it is your panel and nothing else. Yesterday I flushed out my system, filled the fresh water to clean it out and run some water through the pump. Even though it was full, the panel had it on E. No big deal as I do not plan to use it. As for the other tanks, always off but you get by. Camped in a park model for 11 years and never had any panel in that.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote