Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
grtoutdoors

Onan 5500 Dieing after intial prime

Hi Everyone,

We have a 2010 Raptor 361LEV. We are pulling out trailer out of winter hibernation and getting ready to go on our first trip for the year. Before we put it away (in January) we ran the genset for about 20min. before we put it away ... in total the genset only has 5.5 hrs. on it (model 5.5HGJAB-6755D).

Well today I went to start then genset and it fired up and ran for 20 seconds "sputtering and farting" then died. I tried several more times and it would just turn over but would not start. So I re-primed it and it would fire ... but would not start. We ended up getting an error code 36 on it. So I made sure there was fuel in the fuel tank, I even went and got new plugs for it, checked the air filter and it is spotless, the oil is right where it should be.

Even after putting in the new plugs ... if I prime it for about 10-20 seconds it will fire up ... sputter ... then stop (again, throwing a 36).

As more information, I thought about possibly old fuel in our fuel tank. So I thought about draining the tank using the gas nozzle at the back ... but it won't spit gas out either (we have never used it before so not sure if we need to prime it or not). The pump comes on ... but not gas comes out. What is even more whacky is that if I prime the genset start it, it runs for 20seconds then dies ... I can can then get a small amount of gas to come out the rear nozzle in the back - whats up with that???

Anyways, looking for any ideas on what else I can try? My instinct is telling me the genset is starving for gas or is not getting enough gas to continue to run once the prime wears off - but that is just a guess.

Thanks for any help.

Curt
grtoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Honda4us

For grins remove the gas fill cap, the vent maybe clogged. I assume you put stabil or sea foam in the gas before you stored the unit, if not it could be a gunned up carbarator also.
'11 3500HD C/C LTZ BLACK LMLD/A 4X4,B & W HITCH
'12 3500 EC/LB SRW
'13 381LEV W/GOODYEAR G614's
4 Honda ATV's, '12 Can-AM Spyder
Ralleys attended 14 and counting
Honda4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
grtoutdoors

Quick update here. After reviewing the manual again, I read a section that said when storing the genset ... you should empty the carburator bowl. So after emptying it and repriming the let it run, then emptying it again and repriming the genset ran just like it should.

When I first emptied the carburator bowl it was obvious it was dirty.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

C
grtoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote