Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Fireman640

Refrig

Hi we camp every weekend the camper sits on a lot so is it best to just leave the refriguator on once we turn it on for the season i think it would be instead of always turning it off for a few days then right back on Thanks
Fireman640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
f6bits

It’s your preference. Even when it’s on, it’s cycling off and on. You’ll just be using more propane and electricity if you leave it on all week.

There is someone here who leaves theirs stocked and on all the time and ready for their next trip.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman640 View Post
Hi we camp every weekend the camper sits on a lot so is it best to just leave the refriguator on once we turn it on for the season i think it would be instead of always turning it off for a few days then right back on Thanks
If there is nothing stored in the fridge between trips out, leaving it on all the time really doesn't accomplish anything except to use more fuel. As the previous poster said, it cycles on and off all the time when it's running. They do not run continuously.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Outbackmel

Refer

We have our RV on a permanent site which we can visit any season. We leave the refer on MOST of the time. Right now, we just returned from 3 months out west and we emptied the refer and it is off in the permanent location. We chose to eat our unopened foods while at home and re stock soon.

Nothing better than not guessing just how long old food products have been sitting around.

NEVER had an issue with this refer (1 1/2 years) or previous, 2005 model.

Do whatever makes you happy. Everyone deserves to be happy.

ps....here is a tip. Put an ice cube in a plastic baggie in the freezer. If it deforms from melting, you know you have had an extended power outage. If that thing melts, get rid of the "frozen" food that may have spoiled.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
mapleman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
We have our RV on a permanent site which we can visit any season. We leave the refer on MOST of the time. Right now, we just returned from 3 months out west and we emptied the refer and it is off in the permanent location. We chose to eat our unopened foods while at home and re stock soon.

Nothing better than not guessing just how long old food products have been sitting around.

NEVER had an issue with this refer (1 1/2 years) or previous, 2005 model.

Do whatever makes you happy. Everyone deserves to be happy.

ps....here is a tip. Put an ice cube in a plastic baggie in the freezer. If it deforms from melting, you know you have had an extended power outage. If that thing melts, get rid of the "frozen" food that may have spoiled.
What a great idea!

Jim and Charlene

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Fireman640

Thanks all for the info one more question what is the fans called that people use or where can i find theses online for the refrig ? Thanks
Fireman640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
badge4

We have our trailer on a permanent lot in PA and leave it on all season long. We leave a shallow tray of water with a quarter sitting on top. If the quarter drops below the water line we know we lost power to some extent in our absence. This is more sensitive than a frozen bag of ice that might take days to defrost.

just another thought on the topic,
badge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
f6bits

There’s the inside fan for circulating cool air:
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2.../dp/B0006MRQYU

And there are fridge exhaust fans for carrying away warm air from the back of the fridge:
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2.../dp/B002N5YDG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman640 View Post
Thanks all for the info one more question what is the fans called that people use or where can i find theses online for the refrig ? Thanks

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

We use a small medicine bottle half filled with water as a "temp monitor" We stand it up to freeze, then lay it down. If the ice is still in the bottom half, we're good to go, but if the ice has melted and refrozen to the "laid down position" we get rid of everything in the freezer. Any of the methods described give an excellent monitoring capability, but for us, the small size of the medicine bottle doesn't take up much space and is easily shifted around without any problem as we load and reload the freezer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
golfpro

I have been camping since the 60's and I always leave my frig running at home on electricity. In all these years I have never had a failure in the frig. I am a firm believer in leaving it running and thus having a trouble free RV. I used to store the extra beer in mine, now I just leave the non perishable foods in it.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote