Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
BOBYT1630

Pealing clear coat

I am new to the RV community. Last August I purchased a 2006 Cougar Fiver. Love the coach. It Sits in my driveway when not in use. and on the sun side last week I notice the decals starting to look gray. upon closer inspection, there is a film on them which is bubbling up, and pealing off. I contacted the dealer who sold me the unit and he told me it is the clear coat that was sprayed on at the detail shop before they sold the unit. I called the detail shop and there is no guarantee on the clear coat because the decals are vinyl and paint doesn't stick to vinyl. Does anyone know how to remove the clear coat without damaging the decals. After speaking to a different detail shop they tell me not to wax the unit at all because the decals need to "breath". Has anyone heard of that?? Help I'm at a Loss
Thank in advance for any advise.
BOBYT1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Keystone has had a problem with peeling decals on some of their units around that vintage and also some of the later models. In a few cases, some members have had success with Keystone in replacing the decals but not with the costs involved in removing the old ones or the application of the new ones. Removing the old decals can be done but it is a time-consuming process.
I don't recall anyone ever claiming that the peeling decals were a result of the application of a clear coat or that decals had to "breathe" or that you shouldn't apply wax to them. Perhaps a decal "expert" can shed some light on "breathing decals"???
Sorry, but I can't help you with a way of removing the clear coat without doing damage to the decals.
You can buy Keystone decals off EBay.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
BOBYT1630

The problem is not peeling decals, although there are a few edges that are coming up. The problem is the clear coat that was sprayed on to make the coach shine for resale again. It is peeling off just on top of the decals. I think it may be due to the fact they are dark browns and are on the sun side of the coach in my drive. The shady side doesn't have the problem. The detail shop which originally sprayed it told me there is no way to remove the clear coat without sanding them down and respraying them. The second detail shop said they should never be clear coated or waxed. I'm at a loss to know who's right and how to solve the problem.
BOBYT1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Jim & Kay

The best plan I can think of is to warm up the old decals with a hair dryer and remove them. Contact Keystone and they should hook you up with a dealer that you can order new decals from. Our 2012 Cougar HC 5er that we ordered, did not have the mountain scene on the front, we were told by Keystone that the 12's that were built later in the year, did not have the decal, so we ordered one from a dealer in IN, at a reasonable price and I installed it myself. I use 303 protectant on all of my fiberglass, decals, rubber parts, etc, never had a problem with any decals pealing.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote