Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Mike L123

Finally! Some cupboards for our Cougar 318SAB

Hello All! I don't know about any other Keystone Cougar models so I can only write about our 318SAB model. In the galley, above the counter, there is a rather large cupboard with a door facing the kitchen and a door facing the rear two recliners. Within this cupboard space there are no shelves, just a rather awkward and useless "lazy Susan" round thingy. My sweet Babboo has cursed this thing since she first tried to actually make use of this cupboard space. At 5'2" she is already standing on a step stool to even get anything into or out of the cupboard and things were forever falling over or spilling off of the thing. Incredibly, there is also no divider separating the rather cavernous length of this space so it was always a challenge trying to figure out what the best use of the other "side" of the cupboard could be used for. I am NOT a carpenter by any stretch or lie of imagination. Regardless, I decided to try and resolve this problem in order to make things more useable for Carol and I. I installed a divider in the cupboard to separate it into two distinct areas and then bought a sheet of wood, stained it and installed two adjustable shelves on each side. I wish that I had taken some "before" pictures so that you could more clearly see what we were working with. I hope that these links will work and let you see the finished result of the efforts.

I can't take full credit for the workmanship as I had a lot of help from our fellow RV'r and fully certified carpenter friend Blair Vollans. Kudos to you my friend.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...B/IMAG0116.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...B/IMAG0117.jpg
Momma! we got us some useable cupboard space now!

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Handysam

Mike nice job. It was your idea therefore you get the credit. One can never have enough shelving/storage in the kitchen. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
f6bits

I’ve gotta ask, do you stow all your dinnerware when you travel?

Looking at your sig, it appears that your dog isn’t housebroken. Or does the SnD happen outside?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Nice job. We don't like the lazy Susan either but our RK has plenty of other cabinet space so the DW has not complained ..... yet. I will not be showing your photos to her, just in case.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
I’ve gotta ask, do you stow all your dinnerware when you travel?

Looking at your sig, it appears that your dog isn’t housebroken. Or does the SnD happen outside?
Hi! Yes, we pack up our dishware in totes for safe keeping while we travel. Yes, Kenzie is fully house broken, the moniker comes from the fact that he is part Shih 'Tzu and part Daschund.

Cheers!

Mike
Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
bearandjake

Smile bad connections,landing gear

Hello campers,
had a problem with landing gear quitting on my everest 344j fifth.looked on forum last night, saw lots of info saying where to locate inline fuse. Anyways to make a long story short,fuse was located on left wall of slide hydralic pump & battery compartment.
Fuse turned out to be 40amp instead of 30amp was told.anyways we checked,switch,motor,fuse,power and ground. After double checking
everything twice the finall time, my two friends mike123,and mr donald put bigger marr connectors on the motor wires.

Pressto we have power again to motor. The wires weren't marred togather good enough.glad this never happened on the road. Service
tech my not have found this out.glad some of us have patients and maintanance backgrounds.

Hope this info helps others, blair.v.
bearandjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Penhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L123 View Post
Nice job Mike - I did a similar conversion in my 276RLS, the big space with the lazy suzan was quite useless I thought given the ample pantry space elsewhere... I didn't even think about mounting the shelves like you did but just secured them directly to the walls/cabinet on top of some supports... bit of task to get the shelves in there initially and the nail-gun but it all worked out in the end.

I don't stow my dishes when travelling - a little padding between the plates and that's about it, no issues so far (knock on wood)

Dog is my co-pilot
Penhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Johnnyfry

Kitchen shelving

Thanks Mike, for a great project. I hit HomeD last week and have the project in progress. What a difference in storage!

Thank you for a great idea.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Mike L123

Hi All and thanks for the props! I hope that your projects turn out well and that you enjoy the results as much as Carol and I enjoy our cupboards with shelves. It is so nice to have some functionality!

Cheers!

Mike and Carol