Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
KenBob

slide hydraulic controls

Just ordered the dual slide control valve system from lippert (045-127244) to allow the dinette slide to be moved independent of the BR slide. Usually the BR must go out and in before the dinette.

Has anyone done this or have this system or similar? I am sure it is simple. Would like some input before I disassemble and have to get more parts. Thanks!

I will give a report after the install.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
KenBob

Just installed the valve system. Simple to install and works great. The knobs are a little small (3/4"). The kit comes with several adapters to make installation easier. There are no instructions with the kit. A basic schematic is available at the Lippert site. Some care is needed to be sure the correct male thread is used in the valve block. The slides should be "in" during the install. Releasing the pressure of the slides against the wall will reduce residual pressure in the lines before disconnecting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve1.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	964   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	965   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve3.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	966  
Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Hunter757

Nice job, so just pull the knob of the slide you don't want to extend? Do the knobs stay in the open or closed postion? Looks like a stright forward install and very clean looking setup. Did you lable each knob?

How much did the set up cost? I tried to find it on lipperts web page no luck

Happy Camping!

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter757 View Post
Nice job, so just pull the knob of the slide you don't want to extend? Do the knobs stay in the open or closed postion? Looks like a stright forward install and very clean looking setup. Did you lable each knob?

How much did the set up cost? I tried to find it on lipperts web page no luck

Happy Camping!
The knobs rotate. CW to turn off flow/stop slide, CCW to open. You can leave in any position. Will leave the BR off during travel to allow the D slide to open to access kitchen. Then open when at camping destination.

Here is a link.

http://store.lci1.com/shared/StoreFr...unt2=746757149
Go to RV parts, Slides, plumbing.
OR GO TO THE STORE ON THE SITE AND SEARCH "IRC"

Navigating the site is kind of a pain, but they have a ton of stuff!

I could not find another valve system for hydraulic slides from another source.

The kit comes with a label to mark the valves. But the way the valve is situated, it would be difficult to see the label. Since the knobs are in a left/right orientation, and they coincide with the label, I will attach the label to the inside of the compartment door.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
geo

The Alpine has these valves on it. What I found was that unless you screw the valves in and out on a VERY regular basis, the tend to stick a little. So suddenly you want to only extend one slide and can't get the darned little knurled knobs to turn! I got a cheap pair of slip-joint pliers and just set them in the tray holding the pump/reservoir. So, when we are at a rest stop and only want to extend the kitchen slide, the pliers can "start" the closing process and I can safely finish it up with my bare fingers without losing any skin.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
gbsb

We have a 2010 Fuzion TE11 and it came from factory with knobs in a locking compartment up front to control which slide you want to stay closed. Works great when we stop at a rest stop to eat lunch I turn off bedroom and open the other two so we can get to dinnet and fridge. George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
The Alpine has these valves on it. What I found was that unless you screw the valves in and out on a VERY regular basis, the tend to stick a little. So suddenly you want to only extend one slide and can't get the darned little knurled knobs to turn! I got a cheap pair of slip-joint pliers and just set them in the tray holding the pump/reservoir. So, when we are at a rest stop and only want to extend the kitchen slide, the pliers can "start" the closing process and I can safely finish it up with my bare fingers without losing any skin.

Ron
I played with the valve block before installing it. After installing and running the slides out/in 3 times to purge any air, I brought the slides in and turned the valve to stop the BR slide from moving. It was pretty stiff to turn as compared to out of the box. I am suspecting the hydraulic pressure still in the system is pushing against the valve, making it difficult to turn. I also found that there is no need to open the valve all the way (knob stops turning) to get normal slide movement. leaving it "loose" may help sticking.

I would like to know how much pressure stays in the system when full open or full closed. We have a tendency to hold the switch an extra moment after the slides are fully open/closed "to be sure". I know there is pressure as a shot of fluid sprayed out when I loosened one of the hoses to do the install. Can this pressure cause problems and will a quick reverse of the switch relieve the pressure but not affect the slide being snug to the wall?

Sure, I over analyze stuff. But hey, thats me!

I have some envy for those that have the valves factory installed. (wish we did) But I now know more about the hydraulic slide system operation than I would if I had the valves already installed.

I added this to an earlier post: Search "IRC" in the Lippert website store and all the valve units will be shown.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post

I would like to know how much pressure stays in the system when full open or full closed. We have a tendency to hold the switch an extra moment after the slides are fully open/closed "to be sure". I know there is pressure as a shot of fluid sprayed out when I loosened one of the hoses to do the install. Can this pressure cause problems and will a quick reverse of the switch relieve the pressure but not affect the slide being snug to the wall?

Im the same way! no one has any input on this huh? I will soon do this mod on our Raptor 4014 as I want to have control on which slide opens and when. thx for the write up!!
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post

Quote:
Im the same way! no one has any input on this huh? I will soon do this mod on our Raptor 4014 as I want to have control on which slide opens and when. thx for the write up!!

In open position they system is to point of refusal.( slides need to be adjusted properly) No more fluid can move. We all know that tone of motor.......I think. In closed position. Same thing, except system is dry per say, all fluid is pushed back to tank. Lines remain full in both spots. Motor can only push or pull so much fluid. What it pushes out, it allows back.

I personally see the valve as useless. I don't use it to slide one out and not others. 10 bucks for lunch won't kill me and I can wait till I park for the day a real meal. That's me
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote