Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
therink

Outback Queen Mattress - another thread

Hello
My DW and I are sitting at the campfire this evening about to wind down a two week trip. All we can talk about us how much our backs hurt from our sub standard queen mattress. We have a two inch foam topper but it still doesn't cut it. Ours is a 60 x 75 short queen.
I don't want to break the bank spending $400 plus on a new mattress, unless we have to. Also, we need to stay with 60 x 75 size because of slide clearance.
I suggested to DW that we buy a 4" memory foam topper, online for around $100 and cut it to size. She thinks that it will just wear out within a year it two then we will be right back to square one.
Option #2 is to spend more $ and order a 60 x 75 mattress of our liking from a mattress store.
Option #3 is to buy a mattress from camping world for around $400 sight unseen. This is the kind that comes in a box.

I'd love to hear feedback to weigh our options. We gave spent too much $ for our beautiful rig to not enjoy sleeping in it.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Steve
For the number of years that you will have your RV and the number of nights spent sleeping in a sub-standard mattress that doesn't give you any comfort, would it not be a good investment over the long haul, to spend some extra $$$ and get a decent mattress?
Personally, I would rather try it out before I bought one rather than go the route of buying sight/comfort unseen from CW.
Many mattress/foam places will make up a custom-made, correctly-sized one for you.
Have you considered a good quality foam mattress rather than a spring/coil one?
Perhaps "breaking the bank" is a better option than "breaking your back"?????
Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Our Springdale came with the "quality mattress for a good night's sleep" according to the brochure. NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After about 10 days of trying to sleep on that thing, both my wife and I were ready for anything. We considered the topper solution, but felt it wasn't a permanent fix. We decided to look locally and found several options, but none that were readily available (wait time of 4 to 6 weeks) so we checked out CW and decided to buy their innerspring mattress. It sleeps as well as our $1000 house bed and we've spent probably 45 nights on it since we got it and haven't had any problems at all. I've posted a couple of comments in other threads about our experiences so check them out if you like.

My recommendation would be the CW mattress. Have it delivered to the store to save the shipping charges, usually will be delivered within one week if it's available in the warehouse.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I think everyone will tell you a good night's sleep is worth the price of a quality mattress.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
chuck&gail

How strange. Wife and I are both handicapped and have serious back and hip issues. We LOVE the mattress in our 2010 Outback 230RS. Must be a different one.

Look at a www.tempflow.com, they will make any size. Not cheap. We are getting two for our stick house.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Handysam

we have the Cougar 327RES, and it supposedly has an upgraded mattress, NOT!!! It is horrible after about the third night. We currently have one of those cheap mattress toppers from WalMart which believe it or not helps tremendously.

After spending 11 straight nights on the crappy mattress I've decided we need a 4" memory foam topper, which I will be purchasing in the near future.

We have friends who had a custom made mattress for their unit and it was $500. They love it! I'm not prepared to go that far YET! (Original Mattress Factory made their new mattress).

Lauren
Old 07-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
kingji

Cheap Mattress

Upon trade in of our last fifth wheel we took the queen size pillow top mattress that we had and moved it over to the new camper. There is not much to the factory mattresses (looks like a lot of t's and s's). The regular queen is about 8" longer so you have to contend with that but it's really worth any inconvenience if will fit at all. I just rebuilt our bed platform today and extended it 8".
JK
kingji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingji View Post
Upon trade in of our last fifth wheel we took the queen size pillow top mattress that we had and moved it over to the new camper. There is not much to the factory mattresses (looks like a lot of t's and s's). The regular queen is about 8" longer so you have to contend with that but it's really worth any inconvenience if will fit at all. I just rebuilt our bed platform today and extended it 8".
JK
Unfortunately, we can not extend our bed as it is on a slide out and would not have clearance when closed. I think we are just going to replace the mattress altogether.
Thanks

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
jq1031

Smile

We have a full size queen and have added a 4in Serta memory topper, purchased from overstocked.com for $99. It is very comfortable & seems to be holding up very well.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Lack of HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
we have the Cougar 327RES, and it supposedly has an upgraded mattress, NOT!!! It is horrible after about the third night. We currently have one of those cheap mattress toppers from WalMart which believe it or not helps tremendously.

After spending 11 straight nights on the crappy mattress I've decided we need a 4" memory foam topper, which I will be purchasing in the near future.

We have friends who had a custom made mattress for their unit and it was $500. They love it! I'm not prepared to go that far YET! (Original Mattress Factory made their new mattress).

Lauren
Handysam, I too have the Cougar 327 RES with the new mattress. Not good. Does your mattress fit well against the little shelves on both sides? makes it nearly impossible to make the bed. Please let me know how the memory topper works. I just about bought one at Sams the other day. LOHP
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
JerJan10

Ditto jq1031 -The 4" Serta from overstock.com is great!
JerJan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
Alfonso8100

Quality is most important thing in buying mattress from anywhere...i recently bought 4in Serta memory topper.Good prices wise as well as quality.
Alfonso8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Charli

A few years ago we purchased a foam mattress from a local foam store that makes mattresses, pillows, etc. 6 inches of standard medium density foam with 3 inches of memory foam laminated on top. It was very comfortable, just like our memory foam bed at home. Last summer we got a new Cougar 5er that had an upgraded mattress and we will be heading back to the foam store this spring. Its expensive but worth it.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote