Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
was1721

2011 Passport 290BH Heat & A/C Question

Hi everyone -

Well, we jumped in head first on this whole camping thing and bought the Passport and we're dying to start camping!

Tomorrow we're headed down to the Solomoms Navy Rec Center to camp with some friends for the weekend. We thought it'd be a great place to do a good shakedown on this rig since it's only 30 minutes from home.

It still is a little chilly in the DC area and overnight temps this weekend are expected in the low 40's, so the heat will definitely be cranking. Now, we have a wall-mounted thermostat with the following choices: Furnace, Cool and Fan (See Pic).

Here's my issue:

I had the trailer hooked up to my home 15AMP system earlier (charging battery, running TV, a few lights etc.) and I had the LP valves open. I turned on the heat by selecting FURNACE on the thermostat and the heat started almost immediately - very warm and comfortable. The issue is that the A/C also came on. So I had A/C coming out of the top vents throughout the ceiling and the main ceiling vent that sits directly under the roof-mounted A/C.

That didn't seem normal to me.

It got a little stranger still.

I turned everything off, unplugged the shore power (still had LP valves open) and then turned the FURNACE back on.

Again, I got a tremendous amount of warm air and the rig heated up to 70 degrees in no time (it's about 41 outside now).

So what am I missing? Obviously, I can't unplug the shore power just to run my furnace without running the A/C at the same time.

I'm hoping it's just me and I've made an error somehow or am not understanding the system like I should instead of there being something wrong with my system.

Hoping someone can clue me in.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	314   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	315  
was1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

It sounds like your thermostat is wired incorrectly. Until you can get it checked you can turn off the circuit breaker marked A/C and just use the heat. ..... unless ...... Do you have an optional heat strip installed in your A/C?????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
was1721

Not sure about the heat strip. I assume that if it did have one, it would blow warm, but it blows cold.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
was1721

Thanks. Just figured it out. The fan in FURNACE mode was set to HI. Changed it to AUTO. All good now.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
lspajm

Furnace

I just brought home my new passport --- after i turn the on the gas bottles -- i can just turn the thermostat to heat and it should fire right up - correct? Anything else i need to do...considering that it is still winterized?
thanks
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspajm View Post
I just brought home my new passport --- after i turn the on the gas bottles -- i can just turn the thermostat to heat and it should fire right up - correct? Anything else i need to do...considering that it is still winterized?
thanks
Yes it should fire right up unless....sometimes when the gas is off for an extended period of time the excess flow valve will not allow full flow of gas for a while. It is a safety device that shuts down the gas flow in case of a severe leak. You have to turn the gas on and wait a while for the pressure to equalize. Most of us will test the gas flow and purge the lines of air by lighting the stove top burner. If you get a full flame at the burners then you know you have got the lines purged and the excess flow valve has equalized.

Also the fridge will take at least 8 hours to reach temp. You will need to turn it on the day before you leave, after it cools down then try and put stuff in it that is already cold. If you fill it full of warm items it will struggle to reach temp. A few warm items is fine but the bulk of the items should be cold already.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
lspajm

issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by was1721 View Post
Thanks. Just figured it out. The fan in FURNACE mode was set to HI. Changed it to AUTO. All good now.
I also had this issue -- how did you change the fan to auto????
Thanks
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote