Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
V2wings

2005 Ram diesel heat

Has anyone had problem getting a dodge ram 2500 diesel to heat up? It was 30 degrees to day and I let mytruck idle for 50 min and it only got up to 140 degree engine temp and very little heat
V2wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Diesels are very efficient and produce very little heat at idle. You might consider a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to restrict airflow but typically, it will take running the engine at a higher RPM to produce enough "fuel burn" to create heat within the engine block so the coolant system has something to absorb from the process. It's the coolant absorbing the block heat that warms the coolant which flows through the heater coils and releases that heat into the cabin interior. Many people have "modded" their diesels to allow for a "high RPM idle". Usually it's a switch to increase the "computer controlled idle" or a throttle in older models with mechanical linkage to the accelerator.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
rhagfo

Activating your exhaust brake can speed warm up. Otherwise just start out easy and it will warm, if you have a block heater use it it will aid speedy warm up.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
NW Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2wings View Post
Has anyone had problem getting a dodge ram 2500 diesel to heat up? It was 30 degrees to day and I let my truck idle for 50 min and it only got up to 140 degree engine temp and very little heat
I have the same year Ram Diesel as you. When it gets cold, it takes my truck about 10 miles of actual driving to get up to operating temp. Idling just does not produce much heat as others have mentioned, even though our trucks do go to a high idle when it's cold out. My suggestion is to plug your block heater into a timer so that it comes on an hour or two before you plan on leaving. It is way easier on the engine during startup and you will get some heat almost right away. The timer just saves you some electricity so the heater is not on all night.
NW Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
dcg9381

I have a 2015 3500. It may be part of the most recent (clean emissions) software update or it might be part of cold start - but recently when I use remote start in the cold, I can hear the truck idle itself up to 1k RPM or so if it's sitting.

Ram offers a cold-weather bra to deal with the issue. You can not use the bottom of it to retain airflow over the intercooler / trans cooler
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2wings View Post
Has anyone had problem getting a dodge ram 2500 diesel to heat up? It was 30 degrees to day and I let mytruck idle for 50 min and it only got up to 140 degree engine temp and very little heat
My '04.5 is the same as your '05. As mentioned try using the block heater. I leave mine in the recirculate/defrost position and the warm air from the vent is enough to keep windshield mostly clear down to the low 20s. Dodge heats the coolant, not the oil, so once you start driving you will get WARM air very quickly and if under a load you will be turning heat down soon. Covering the grill will also block trans cooler (not good when towing) and is not needed even down to single digits. Drive it like you stole it and you will get more heat then you will ever need. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
larry337

Lots of informative posts. Contrary to popular opinion idling a diesel engine is generally not good for it. Big semis idle all night cause they have to in order to keep the driver comfortable. A diesel will never reach operating temperature at idle. You have to drive it to get it fully warmed up. Start it, give it a few seconds, and go, says so right in my owners manual. If I have frost on the windows I might idle 10-15 minutes to give it a head start on generating some heat, and let my bun warmers get hot lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat