Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

New Denali HD top of the pack....or?

There is another thread on adding fuel to the fire for truck gvwrs so didn't want to hijack that. Just read an assessment of the new Denali 3500 from one of the most prestigious truck testing magazines.....Motor Trend!!! Below is the link to see if it's test shows it in the running with the Big 2.......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...cid=spartanntp

All jokes aside it does have the specs etc. in case anyone hasn't seen them.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Yeah, it’ll tow my 15k lb 5er with ease and the shift shock goes away once the Allison learns driving habits and adjusts to them. I’ll still take it over the wrapper that’s put around and the boat anchor that’s attached to the back of the Cummins. As for the blue oval, only time will tell if they finally figured out how to build a reliable diesel.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Chevrolise

My 2016 3500 SRW Chevy Duramax does everything I ask it to. On the scales GCWR was 23400 with two ATV's in back, 2 adults, 97 gal of fuel(37 truck/60 in the camper). As for Motor (whatever ur opinion is) Trend. My neighbor pulls a 13000lb boat with a 2500 Denali Duramax, and it is sweet. Ford/Chevy/Dodge gives us something to talk about when The DAWG's ain't winning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_28cd.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	14644  

16 Chevy 3500 diesel
16 Fuzion 325
CanAm Spyder, Yamaha Grizzly
Kymco mxu 500i, 2 grandsons
way too many Kayaks
Chevrolise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Yeah, it’ll tow my 15k lb 5er with ease and the shift shock goes away once the Allison learns driving habits and adjusts to them. I’ll still take it over the wrapper that’s put around and the boat anchor that’s attached to the back of the Cummins. As for the blue oval, only time will tell if they finally figured out how to build a reliable diesel.
I think the Blue Oval is doing pretty good so far. That motor has been available to the public since mid year 2010 as the 2011 model. Before they released it, they provided "test" trucks to some utility companies in varying parts of the U.S......desert type climates all the way to Alaska and had a total of 10 million miles on the motors before they cleared it for production.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolise View Post
My 2016 3500 SRW Chevy Duramax does everything I ask it to. On the scales GCWR was 23400 with two ATV's in back, 2 adults, 97 gal of fuel(37 truck/60 in the camper). As for Motor (whatever ur opinion is) Trend. My neighbor pulls a 13000lb boat with a 2500 Denali Duramax, and it is sweet. Ford/Chevy/Dodge gives us something to talk about when The DAWG's ain't winning.

I was joking about a test from Motor Trend. Being a "truck", "car" and "off road" guy, I look to Motor Trend for nothing.

I posted the link to primarily show the specs of the truck and spoof a little on the new Duramax. I've owned all 3 of the big 3 and was a fan of one or the other for decades. Not trying to start a debate about the big 3; those that love their "brand" aren't swayed by anything negative about them anyway. Just keeping the pot "brewing" as they say....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I was joking about a test from Motor Trend. Being a "truck", "car" and "off road" guy, I look to Motor Trend for nothing.

I posted the link to primarily show the specs of the truck and spoof a little on the new Duramax. I've owned all 3 of the big 3 and was a fan of one or the other for decades. Not trying to start a debate about the big 3; those that love their "brand" aren't swayed by anything negative about them anyway. Just keeping the pot "brewing" as they say....
Wooden spoon or metal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:35 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I think the Blue Oval is doing pretty good so far. That motor has been available to the public since mid year 2010 as the 2011 model. Before they released it, they provided "test" trucks to some utility companies in varying parts of the U.S......desert type climates all the way to Alaska and had a total of 10 million miles on the motors before they cleared it for production.
The new motor hasn’t been bad, they are working through some issues that i don’t know if they’ve fixed yet. When i was working at a Ford dealership I was hearing about problems with the top end building up carbon deposits on one of the cylinders, I believe it was #5, that required removal of the head to fix. Don’t know how wide spread the problem was or if it’s been fixed on recent upgrades. I don’t work at the dealership anymore and don’t have any fiends driving them so my information sources are non existent
Old 11-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #8
Javi

Bullwinkle....
Old 11-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
The new motor hasn’t been bad, they are working through some issues that i don’t know if they’ve fixed yet. When i was working at a Ford dealership I was hearing about problems with the top end building up carbon deposits on one of the cylinders, I believe it was #5, that required removal of the head to fix. Don’t know how wide spread the problem was or if it’s been fixed on recent upgrades. I don’t work at the dealership anymore and don’t have any fiends driving them so my information sources are non existent
I just did some research, seems most of the carbon issues are with the EGR system, Ford redesigned it for 2017 to fix the problem. They also seem to have numerous turbo failures due to over spinning a small turbo, the 2017 uses a larger turbo. There have been some other problems with the first generation 6.7 as well, but the second generation starting in 2017 is supposed to address all of those. As I mentioned before, time will tell if they got it right, but my guess is this current diesel will be much better than any in the past. Since they went in house they have better control and visibility of the process. Cummins and Ram have been partnered for 28 years, Isuzu/Duramax and GM are going on 17 years now, time tested and owner approved. I’m sure Ford will get there with the new Power Stroke.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:48 AM   #10
jimthemosaicguy

New Denali HD top of the pack....or?

Love my 2015 Denali 3500HD, long bed dually with a pullrite 24k...no prob pulling my 2016 Fuzion 416 from PA to GA then to TX. Rides like a dream. Quiet. And I read the 2018 seats are even more comfortable. My only regret was not having auxiliary tanks installed for the diesel and one for the DEF. Of course that adds weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0799.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	599.3 KB
ID:	14648

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	657.5 KB
ID:	14650
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
mtofell

All big 3 manufacturers make insanely nice diesel trucks with LOADS of power. That being said, and for the tax bracket I'm in, I have ZERO interest in owning any of them out of warranty. The potential repairs on these modern emission choked trucks are just too scary for me to roll the dice with.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks with a kazillion trouble free miles but I don't want to be a statistic.

For the record, I was in my dealer recently waiting for an oil change and some poor guy next to me was getting the rundown of problems with his 5 year old diesel. He was around 100K miles and 5 years old and had a pretty good fist full of CELs and problems. Most sounded emission related. The grand total to fix it all was around 4K. I don't want to be that guy and the brand does not matter. It could be any.

With every technology whether it be houses, medical care of vehicles we think we've found all the problems and fixed them. Only to find out 5 years later we didn't know what the hell we were doing 5 years earlier.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
roadglide

I looked into the reviews and found unpleasant stuff wrong with the big 3 trucks. I know the allason transmission will take some time to learn your driving habbits and shift patterns for the load.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote