Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2017, 12:15 AM   #1
busterbrown

Don't know what to make of this...

When to pay my storage lot annual rental fee last week and was told by the owner that there is a waiting list for most sized spaces this now. When we bought our travel trailer last year, I remember the owner telling me that he had availability in almost every lane and to go out and find a spot I liked.

Yesterday, I brought my trailer home to prep it for our short weekend trip. Upon entering my residentially dense subdivision, I noticed a good dozen new trailers parked in driveways along the 1/2 mile route to my home. Last year, there were maybe 3 trailers on this same route. When we first bought the house 5 years ago, I noticed only 1 home with an active trailer through the summer months.

People aren't buying and selling homes right now. Inventory is extremely low. RV sales, on the other hand, are hot and people are obviously buying.

Finite amount of campgrounds and an ever growing number of RV owners (many first time buyers) can only mean one thing: summertime crowds.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:51 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Sales have been brisk in the RV industry. I get regular emails from RVIA and they are forecasting a continued rise.

More units, same number of spaces equals a harder time getting the space you want. Reservations will be the way to go and I suspect a person will need to book earlier, maybe even months in advance for some of the less popular places.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
66joej

Agree we are taking a trip to eastern Canada next month and will be staying at more than a dozen different campgrounds. Reservations made 2 months ago all the way there and back. With this comes penalties for late cancellations. The downside of this is we have to make sure we do not have any problems along the way otherwise the whole trip goes sideways. Next to impossible to make last minute reservations.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:15 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

In our area sales up at dealers, sales around 100+/month. Expect to see availability of campsites to decrease, reservations will be the norm, wait times for routine Dealer maintenance will increase. Some dealers closest maintenance appointment are nearing Fall. Big increase in seeing trailers parked in drive ways and yes harder to find storage location nearby. Campsite prices will continue to rise as availability declines.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

When we left our favorite campground in FL on March 1 we made reservations ahead beginning Nov. 1 for 4 months. When I initially asked about when to make reservations so we could get our preferred spot the owner/manager told me he already had several reservations made beginning in Nov. for the winter and it would be first come, first served. It is a $100 non refundable deposit for the resv. but would much prefer doing that instead of waiting until the end of summer (3 months in advance) and find out they were full. I'm afraid it's going to get that way across the country at pretty places unless someone start's building/opening new facilities - which I think they will (hope) simply because of the sharp rise in RV ownership.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
MerlinB

If you want to get some good information about the changes that are happening to the RV lifestyle you should take a look at the past five or six issues of the weekly RV Travel Newsletter. Editor Chuck Woodbury has been writing about this stuff for a lot of years and has some very interesting things to say about the effects of the current boom in RV sales, the deplorable conditions of some RV parks, and the requirements for reservations far in advance of your desired travel dates. I won't put a link here but just do a Google search for "RV Travel Newsletter."
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
kjohn

Thankfully, we live in southeast Saskatchewan and have the north country to travel in. This will be our 5th year pulling a small trailer (this year it will be a new Cougar 21RBS) and have gone north every time. Been to Whitehorse twice and Yellowknife two or three times. Not anywhere near the road traffic to contend with. Lots of good stuff to look for, and generally good camping facilities.

Can't wait to get out on the road.
kjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
mikell

We're looking to build a campground for retirement but everywhere there's land the only thing people hear is TRAILER PARK!! RV Resort, you mean trailer park right!!!

Probably be farmland registered as a horse farm with camping that seems fine then get rid of the horses after a year or two. !!!

Had 30 acres lined up and the locals thought the tax base would suffer so a church bought it and they get no taxes.

AAAHHHHHHH
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Warnberg

Prime camping spots in Florida go a year in advance to get reservations to go camp.. Wife and I have a trip planned every month up to this month next year otherwise you don't go or can't find a place..

2016 Impact 311
2016 Chevy Silverado High Country CC
Warnberg is offline   Reply With Quote