Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
kevperro

Charge Controller/Electrical Options

I've been doing my reading and thinking about future modifications. Electrical will probably be my first area because I want to maximize battery life and I'm a geek.

Anyway... I'd be interested to hear if any of you guys have any input on the stock Keystone charge controllers and if anyone has modified their electrical system.
kevperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
shiggs68

On most modern RVs today, the standard distribution/breaker/charger panel is a WFCO panel. They are also a multi-stage converter with a thermostatically controlled fan. Except for replacing it with one of larger capacity, there isn't much that can be done to improve on the design.

You will get more bang for your buck by increasing your battery capacity and reducing the load by upgrading to LED lights.

TravelingRVDoctor -Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
kevperro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
On most modern RVs today, the standard distribution/breaker/charger panel is a WFCO panel. They are also a multi-stage converter with a thermostatically controlled fan. Except for replacing it with one of larger capacity, there isn't much that can be done to improve on the design.

You will get more bang for your buck by increasing your battery capacity and reducing the load by upgrading to LED lights.

TravelingRVDoctor -Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very good to know... thanks for the input.
kevperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Lee

Hi,

On my Cougar, the breaker that supplies "juice" to the converter also feeds all of the 110VAC outlets in the TT. On the load side of the Converter's breaker, there are 2 conductors. One to the converter and one to all AC outlets.

I added a 15A circuit breaker and removed the AC outlet's wire from the converter breaker and landed it onto the new dedicated breaker.

Also, as Shiggs68 discussed I replaced all bulbs with LEDs.

I installed a switch in the fridge to control the heat strip that is located between the fridge and freezer. The heat strip controls moisture when operating the fridge in hi humidity.

I exclusively dry camp and this is the reason for the LED and fridge Mod's as it saves battery life.

Take care,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
Anyway... I'd be interested to hear if any of you guys have any input on the stock Keystone charge controllers and if anyone has modified their electrical system.
I haven't identified the stock Keystone charge controller in my RV (yet) - mainly as it's not kept plugged in. In prior RVs, I've removed them, modified them (add-in components) or replaced them as necessary to get one that is reasonably intelligent about how to charge and maintain a set of batteries....

In terms of electrical mods, I installed a true battery disconnect. And as I go forward, I typically solder connectors if they need to be checked, make sure that wires aren't in a place that can be impacted by abrasion (there were several) and insulate as necessary...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
f6bits

I replaced my WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics 4655. It's been doing a good job of charging my batteries and keeping them healthy.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/pd4600...placement.html

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote