Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Rayburn1162

Stay home or Leave ?

Just bought a Laredo 355RL a few months ago, husband is staying temp full time and it's in Atlanta... This early cold blast caught us off guard... Left the heat on 55 drained hoses and tanks.. Got 2 full tanks of LP given there will be 40 hours of intermittent anticipated temps freezing to 24 degrees ... Any opinion on if we will be okay? He had to leave all week and I am trying to decide whether to make the 5 hr trip to 'sit' with it to be sure we don't have problem.... Any advice appreciated... Before this we were only in Florida... LOL..
This model just has the heated compartments.. No heat pads on tanks as the previous Open Road we had. Also not sure if they all do but is says "artic package"...

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rayburn1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The "Arctic Package" label does not mean that you have heat pads on your holding/FW tanks. Unless you have installed them yourself, they don't.

You will get a small amount of warm air coming into the underbelly/compartments from a 2" duct when the furnace is running. If I were you, I wouldn't rely too much on this to keep your tanks and water lines from freezing - especially if the freeze lasts for most of the day for several days.

It doesn't appear as thought the temperatures where you live will be getting down that low so you might be ok as long as you keep some heat on in your unit.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

You will probably be OK if the thermostat is set at 55. When you drain your hoses I assume you mean your fresh water source. If you drained the water from the low point drains that is even better but still leaves water in the lines. I always leave my faucets open so that if there is residual water in the line it can freeze and expand without making something break - makes a big difference. Learned that the hard way on our vacation home in the Rockies that resides at 9000'. Opening the faucets made a world of difference in the number of misc. breakages we had due to freezing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

As Sourdough said, you should be OK with the thermostat set on 55. If (IF) you have the trailer plugged into electricity. If you're relying on a single battery to provide power for the furnace for 5 or 6 nights, you'll have a dead battery (probably by the second day) and from there, it won't matter what the thermostat is set on. If you are plugged into electricity, the furnace should keep you "safe from freezing" for 5 or 6 days, but after that, depending on the propane usage, you'll probably be out of propane.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks John. I made the assumption that the trailer was connected to commercial power and didn't say that. The period of time the OP was concerned about was 40 hrs with 2 full tanks. I figured the two tanks would be OK for a day and a half or so without any problem but did not define. Thanks for the catch!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote