Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
Dadstoy

Roof problems

Have a 2013 Summerland trailer. After backing it into our barn for winter storage I wanted to look at the roof of our 2 year old camper. The roof is white except around the edges and has about 5 black lines going across the top of it where it looks like the white has wore off. This roof looks worse than the one on our 1994 Fleetwood flair we sold. Surely it should not have wore off so soon.
Dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you bought it new, it has a 10 or 12 year warranty on the EPDM or TPO material, but that extends only to the original purchaser, so if you bought used, there's no warranty unless you have an aftermarket extended warranty on the RV.

Chances are it's not "wear" as such, but mold along the wood rafters. The Summerland is a wooden frame RV. You may have a leak in the roof that is allowing water to saturate some of the rafters and the mold that's growing on them is what may be staining your roofing material. I'd suggest you look very carefully at the seams and all of the places where the roof is penetrated by vents or other objects. You might also want to contact your dealer and see if he can get your RV in for a roof inspection. If it is a "bad material issue" he would be the one to contact the manufacturer and start a claim for you. The roofing material is "pro rated" so you won't get a full reimbursement for any repairs, but with it only being a couple of years old, you should find the majority of it covered by the warranty, provided it is faulty materials.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Dadstoy

This is what our roof looks like after 1 1/2 years. The roof should be warranted plus we bought extended warrantie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4164.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	7385  
Old 11-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
rjsurfer

There is nothing wrong with your roof, just some mildew lines as others have mentioned. I wouldn't even bother with cleaning the mildew off.

The only thing I do with my roof is go up there and inspect all seals 3x a year and spray 303 protectant on it. I don't like to wash it, brush it or put any cleaners on it...I know I'm crazy. We keep the camper in an open storage facility with no shade or trees and the roof looks like brand new with just a few mildew spots. I have extended drip rails and have no black streaks running down the side too boot.

My camper is an 08.

A good case of less is more.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
outwest

While you're inspecting the seals, be sure to lubricate the O-ring on that TV antenna. If you don't, the O-ring gets dry and lets water in.

Edit to add - from Winegard's website, for when water is coming in at antenna
Quote:
The first thing to do is to determine exactly where the water is coming from. Remove the ceiling parts once again and see if the water is coming straight down the shaft or if it is coming down the sides of the hole. If the water comes from the sides, it is coming from a hole somewhere in the seal on the roof or possibly not even from the antenna but migrating from elsewhere. If the water comes straight down the center shaft, then the quad ring in the gear housing has failed and needs to be replaced. The easiest way to replace this is to replace the entire worm gear and shaft. The kit part number is RP-4000.
also worth mentioning - the rubber boot around the coax can rot and crack over time, allowing water in.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Dadstoy

Ok, My selling dealer advised that Keystone knows about this problem.
Apparently Keystone used wood in the cross braces that was painted on the edges. This paint causes mold to form on the outside of the roof where the painted crossmembers are. They are advising me to clean it with bleach and a brass wire brush and possibly a high pressure washer. I don't feel comfortable taking a wire brush and high pressure washer to my 1 1/2 year old roof.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I would bet a bleach solution and a medium bristled brush would do the trick. A friend of ours sprays his roof with a medium bleach solution then just sprays it off.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
outwest

I'd be nervous about using a wire brush too. What I use is a deck scrubber (deck scrub brush) with polypropylene bristles. You can get them at most hardware stores, restaurant supply stores, and janitorial supply stores.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote