Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Nomadicchefs

Adjustable water pressure regulator?

Ok, so we bought the rvaqua water regulator rvm11-45psi. I have been trying to get it adjusted to a little below what Keystone stated was our max water pressure. After much debate and online searching, I am at a loss. Do I adjust it to the pressure I want WITH or WITHOUT water running? Some state with, some state without.. I just want to keep our pipes from leaking again due to high pressure like at the last park. Please help, anyone have this type of regulator?
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The pipes are rated for X amount of static pressure against them - the same pressure that will be inside the piping when all faucets are closed and the pressure is sitting there so I would set the pressure with all faucets closed and the water on. Tryin go set the pressure while the water is running will give you a false setting.

Edit: my regulator is set at 40psi and seems to be adequate.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
HIDE-EE

I don’t have that regulator I believe mine is a camco but I set it to my desired pressure(about 45psi) with the water in the trailer off. It drops when we turn the water on in the trailer. My dealer service department told me the pressure should be 40-50psi. I suspect the pressure spec is for when there is no flow because that is when the pressure will be the highest. Hope that helps.
HIDE-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
Old Mustanger

The instructions that came with my regulator indicated that after hooking everything up to open a faucet to let air escape out of the system, close the faucet and then set the regulator to desired pressure.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
FlyingAroundRV

As I understand it, a regulator is designed to regulate the water pressure. So if the pressure is set with the water off, then the regulator should readjust the pressure to the set pressure when the water is turned on. If it doesn't regulate like that then it is just a flow restrictor.
That said, I had to fiddle a bit to get mine set up to the pressure I wanted because when the flow is stopped, the static pressure can rise a little before the regulator restricts the flow to control the pressure.
I have the Camco one with the screwdriver adjustment and gauge.
For the pressure setting, I recommend setting it to about the pressure that your water pump can deliver. That way you don't risk having the non-return valve in the pump jamming.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:19 AM   #6
Nomadicchefs

Thank you everyone for the replies. @FlyingAroundRv I have no idea what a non-return valve in the pump is, but I don't want to damage it that's for sure. When I adjust it with the faucets off, I set it at 35. But when then a few hours later it will rise to nearly 80. The problem is that when we initially turn on our kitchen sink or flush the toilet that first burst of water is insanely pressurized then it tapers off, but that first bit seems like it could definitely cause some leaking if we continue to use it. I saw on a different thread, some people said the pressure would be higher after a while and that's normal, but others stated that the pressure should not rise once you've set it. It should stay at your setting when water isn't flowing and if anything only drop when there is water flowing, but not rise. Maybe we have a faulty regulator? I've adjusted that piece with my screwdriver about 10 times and it just will not stay on the setting I put it on
Old 11-02-2018, 03:46 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

If your pressure is doubling after setting then your regulator is not doing it's job. Connect water regulator, open faucets to bleed out air. Close faucets and adjust regulator to desired pressure. You may need to open a faucet briefly to bleed off pressure after adjusting the regulator to get an accurate reading. A little pressure creep up is normal (we're talking 1 -3 lbs.), but what you're talking about is unacceptable. I think mine is a Valtera and cost about double what I've seen your brand listed at so maybe it's a case of you get what you pay for or maybe you just got a defective one.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:55 AM   #8
Javi

Most of those regulators like the Camco will vary pressure based on incoming pressure.. If you set it to 40 psi with a 45 psi input and then the pressure rises to 70 psi the output will usually increase as well.. Found this out the hard way and quit using the less expensive type of regulators..

I now use and recommend the Watts 263A regulator used by professional plumbers... no fuss, no muss..

One hint... never set the regulator under 45 psi... and if you aren't getting enough input pressure to deliver 45 psi.... don't fiddle with the regulator
Old 11-02-2018, 04:50 AM   #9
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If your pressure is doubling after setting then your regulator is not doing it's job. Connect water regulator, open faucets to bleed out air. Close faucets and adjust regulator to desired pressure. You may need to open a faucet briefly to bleed off pressure after adjusting the regulator to get an accurate reading. A little pressure creep up is normal (we're talking 1 -3 lbs.), but what you're talking about is unacceptable. I think mine is a Valtera and cost about double what I've seen your brand listed at so maybe it's a case of you get what you pay for or maybe you just got a defective one.
The regulator we had prior to this was a Valtera ($80) and it was faulty. We returned it to the rv shop for a replacement and in a month the gauge was full of water and leaking. We moved to a new campground and This rvaqua ($53) was the next one we had to choose from in a pinch. I agree that you get what you pay for, but in this case it seems we've just had bad luck getting an adjustable regulator that isn't faulty.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:50 AM   #10
notanlines

Javi, "I now use and recommend the Watts 263A regulator used by professional plumbers... no fuss, no muss.. " what's the price of one these days? I think we paid north of $150 a few years ago.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:52 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Javi, "I now use and recommend the Watts 263A regulator used by professional plumbers... no fuss, no muss.. " what's the price of one these days?
$126 last time I looked.. I've owned mine for about 3 years now.. Cool thing is they can be rebuilt it need be..

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/F3003.htm
Old 11-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #12
MarkEHansen

On the Watts 263A regulator, how do you get past the "don't let it freeze" notice? Do you just wrap it with something if freezing temperatures are expected?
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #13
FlyingAroundRV

Hi Nomadicchefs:
The non return valve is a spring loaded plunger inside the pump head. It holds the pressure in your water system until you turn on a tap or flush the toilet. Without a non return valve, the pump would have to run all the time to maintain the pressure in the lines.
Also, when these pumps are used in RVs, the city water connection T's into the output line of the water pump. If the pump didn't have a non return valve, the city water would flow backwards through the pump into the fresh water tank and eventually overflow it.
The city water input pushes backwards against the non return valve in the pump and with enough pressure, can jam the valve. That's why I always reccommend that that people use a regulator and set it to not too much higher than the pump's rated output pressure.
Edit: Since the non return valve is in the output flow path of the pump, if that valve jams, the pump won't be able to move water from the fresh water tank into the plumbing system.
Ask me how I know.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
On the Watts 263A regulator, how do you get past the "don't let it freeze" notice? Do you just wrap it with something if freezing temperatures are expected?
The no freeze warning is for the gauge, but yes I wrap the regulator is it is calling for a freeze and use a heated hose. Never had a problem, but I camp in Texas. [emoji16]
Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #15
bobbecky

We had one of the Valterra adjustable regulators for some time in the past, but it started allowing pressure to build up in the rig. Got a Watts regulator from a Menards near where we were staying, along with adapter fittings for hose connections at both ends. It has been excellent, never exceeding the set pressure. It is a different model than what has already been discussed, but I'm sure it will work as well. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-...M1-U/205073410
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #16
BadmanRick

I purchased the following water pressure regulator on Amazon.com I have not had any problems with this regulator
Trumeters
Water Pressure Regulator. Brass Lead-free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer for Rv with Guage. Includes Inlet Screened Filter. Model A01-1117tm
On sale now 29.99
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure