Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Gapopper

Do Springdales have a walkable roof

Just purchased a 2014 Springdale 311RE and was wondering if the roof is walkable.
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
bsmith0404

They are built with roof trusses 16" on center. I tried to find information on the decking material for 2014 models, but can't. Keystone typically will say walkable roof in the brochures if it is, but the Springdale brochure for 2014 does not say anything about that. I would go on the safe side and walk only where the trusses are.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Or you could put some 24 inch supports down. Plywood (be careful of roof membrane damage) or foam board to straddle the trusses and spread out the weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
supports.....to straddle the trusses and spread out the weight.
Agree. I just had the trim off of the bathroom vent. The trusses are not designed to walk on. Basically it's 2 pcs of 3/4"x 1 1/2" stock laid flat with filler block's between them to create the arch. It's designed to support it's self and a tad more for the equipment above.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Some other Keystone trailers are constructed with aluminum or steel rafters, that's not the case with Springdale.

Springdale trailers are constructed with wooden rafters. As posted above, they are not much more than 1x1 and 1x2 spruce that's glued and stapled together to form an arched rafter. Over the years moisture, twisting motion from towing, walking on the roof and decomposition of the adhesive will cause the rafters to "weaken". Additionally, as with any "mass produced product" there's no "sure fire way" to know that all the staples are actually "holding the rafters together"....

So, the less weight you put on any rafter, the less number of times you walk on the roof, the more you can "spread the weight" over a larger area, the longer your trailer roof will last.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Some other Keystone trailers are constructed with aluminum or steel rafters, that's not the case with Springdale.

Springdale trailers are constructed with wooden rafters. As posted above, they are not much more than 1x1 and 1x2 spruce that's glued and stapled together to form an arched rafter. Over the years moisture, twisting motion from towing, walking on the roof and decomposition of the adhesive will cause the rafters to "weaken". Additionally, as with any "mass produced product" there's no "sure fire way" to know that all the staples are actually "holding the rafters together"....

So, the less weight you put on any rafter, the less number of times you walk on the roof, the more you can "spread the weight" over a larger area, the longer your trailer roof will last.
I agree the Springdale rafters are not built robust, but don't assume that because they are wood and not aluminum that they are not strong. In the case of the Springdale, that's is probably a correct statement. There are several high end brands that still use wooden rafters for different reasons and they are designed to be fully walkable. Last I checked, my house was built with wood rafters too. It's not the material, it's the design. Kids build bridges in shop class with popsicle sticks that can withstand hundreds of pounds of pressure.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I agree the Springdale rafters are not built robust, but don't assume that because they are wood and not aluminum that they are not strong. In the case of the Springdale, that's is probably a correct statement. There are several high end brands that still use wooden rafters for different reasons and they are designed to be fully walkable. Last I checked, my house was built with wood rafters too. It's not the material, it's the design. Kids build bridges in shop class with popsicle sticks that can withstand hundreds of pounds of pressure.
Not only engineering, but even more so is the end construction, or the quality of the construction, from what I have seen the industry needs to buck up and do the jobs right!

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #8
bill-e

buy a couple of pieces of 2" thick insulation board at your local hardware store. Cut into 2x2' pieces and use them to span the rafters. If you're a big person duct tape 2 pieces together. Much easer to move around than plywood.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #9
Gapopper

You would think all modern trailers today would have a walkable roof so you could do routine maintenance and cleaning.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapopper View Post
You would think all modern trailers today would have a walkable roof so you could do routine maintenance and cleaning.
Not when the industry is building 37'7" travel trailers that weigh in at 6550 pounds with a 680 pound tongue weight so they can be towed by half ton pickups.

"Helium technology" is a hoax, they really can't make trailers "float".... but they can make them from materials so "thin and lightweight" that they can barely support their own weight, much less that of a 250 pound man walking on the 1/4" OSB roof. As a comment, there are some RV roof/ceiling structures that are nothing more than 1/8" luan-2" of foam and 1/8" luan covered by the TPO membrane. Try walking on that......

I owned a Springdale fifth wheel, when a tree fell on the roof, (as you can see from the pictures, it wasn't a "HUGE" tree) I found out just what "lack of quality construction" really was. When the repair facility peeled the TPO and 1/4" OSB off the roof, I saw "rafters" that were more "hit and miss" than "quality built". I walked on my roof, very carefully, but given what I saw of the construction, I wouldn't do it without properly distributing the weight over multiple trusses......

ADDED: I weigh 190 pounds "soaking wet" and I would feel "uncomfortable" on a Springdale roof without foam or plywood to spread my weight. If I weighed 250, you wouldn't catch me on the roof, I'd use a ladder against the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2714.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	13609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2703.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	13610   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2716.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	13611  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
Gapopper

Well I weigh 230. I am glad y'all told me to stay off of it.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
bsmith0404

According to the new brochure, springdales have 16" on center rafters (doesn't say what size material is used) and 3/8 "walkable roof decking". I couldn't tell you what the 2014 version had.

Grand Design also uses wood rafters, but theirs are much different construction than the Springdale.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
SharonM

John, would you say that a Hideout 19FLBWE likewise should NOT have anyone go up on the roof for maintenance stuff?

Thx, Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
theeyres

Years ago when I had the same question about another trailer, somebody said if it has a ladder, it's walkable. If it doesn't have a ladder, it's not. Don't know if that statement is true but I suspect it is.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, springdale