Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #41
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mark, and anyone else that knows; the information from Visible does appear that your data will be totally unlimited. It also states that streaming is capped at 480p resolution. I've tried to read up on that, looked at pics/videos but can't really tell what the differences is between 720p etc. We (I) like HD but in this effort I think being able to stream TV and it still look decent vs fuzzy I'm all in. Was going to just order it today but thought I would run this past the folks first. It appears a great option to have in the toolbox. Any thoughts are appreciated.
I think it may be worth it.. i have a few old iPhones I could use and thought maybe it would work in the winegard 360+ modem that javi spoke about...I guess you have to have the SIM card installed somewhere if you have your own phone.
If nothing else it would be dedicated to just streaming and not trying to also do my email and app updates and everything else that goes on in my phone in the background I use everyday while I’m watching a show....here’s another review ..it would be nice to be able to browse this forum while I watch tv on another planhttps://www.tomsguide.com/us/visible...view-6036.html
Old 02-21-2021, 05:46 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks, I read that review among many. Don't really see a downside if 480p is worth watching. I won't cancel my Verizon plan for phone service but I would be using it for streaming, email etc. At $40mo. I can't see how it would hurt to give it a whirl except....480p; which I have no recollection of watching. They say it is standard definition (SD) which I guess I watched for most of my life but just thought I would try to verify.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:52 PM   #43
jasin1

Quote:
Thanks, I read that review among many. Don't really see a downside if 480p is worth watching. I won't cancel my Verizon plan for phone service but I would be using it for streaming, email etc. At $40mo. I can't see how it would hurt to give it a whirl except....480p; which I have no recollection of watching. They say it is standard definition (SD) which I guess I watched for most of my life but just thought I would try to verify.
Yep I wouldn’t mind the 480p as long as it isn’t blurry.. the only hesitation I have is if I don’t like it and want to cancel.I read some people had issues getting a hold of customer service when they tried to cancel but that was over a year ago...I think I would put it on a not often used credit card and not my bank card . I may be wrong but think you have to do autopay?
Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #44
sourdough
Site Team

Everything I read said it is month to month. Didn't read about autopay but I wouldn't care. Between all the ways to contact them if they don't respond I'll just have Amex shut it down. I don't use any of my bank account cards for anything when traveling or online....too easy to hack.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #45
Jim2366

I just ran a speed test on my cell phone, Samsung 20 Ultra 5g 128gb at the Oak Mountain State in Alabama. The result was Download Mpbs 81.05 ping 43 ms the service is T-Mobile. I am using wee boost.

I connect my phone to the TV with an HDMI cable through a hub. I use my Sling TV subscription and get ESPN ESPN2 and 40 other stations. I also use use Prime VIDEO , YouTube all through the cell. The picture quality is great the sound goes through the TV.
I don't know when I am getting 4g or 5g. The newc5g phones are a lot better.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
I just ran a speed test on my cell phone, Samsung 20 Ultra 5g 128gb at the Oak Mountain State in Alabama. The result was Download Mpbs 81.05 ping 43 ms the service is T-Mobile. I am using wee boost.

I connect my phone to the TV with an HDMI cable through a hub. I use my Sling TV subscription and get ESPN ESPN2 and 40 other stations. I also use use Prime VIDEO , YouTube all through the cell. The picture quality is great the sound goes through the TV.
I don't know when I am getting 4g or 5g. The newc5g phones are a lot better.

Jim what kind of plan do you have with TMobile? From everything I've found the very best plan they offer only gives you 30m before throttling?
Old 02-22-2021, 06:02 AM   #47
markcee

Quote:
Everything I read said it is month to month. Didn't read about autopay but I wouldn't care. Between all the ways to contact them if they don't respond I'll just have Amex shut it down. I don't use any of my bank account cards for anything when traveling or online....too easy to hack.
Yes....month to month and the more lines you add, the cheaper the rate. They call this 'party pay' or some such. The difference between this and the 'family plan' offered by other vendors is that the added lines can belong to anybody.....family, friend or stranger. I understand there are even forums where people 'advertise' to get hooked in with someone else's plan in order to drop the monthly cost. At any rate, it maxes out at 4 lines which would get you to $25 per month each. We have 3 lines, so $30 each. One line is literally in Ernie (my dog's name!)

I use Ernie's phone strictly in the trailer to run a dedicated hotspot for the InCommand system. We always travel with our dogs and this gives us a way to check/adjust the temp via the InCommand Global Connect, if we are out and about and the dogs are in the trailer. I used to have a separate temp monitoring device with a dedicated cell connection for this, but it wasn't always reliable. Plus with this method I can at least try to adjust/restart the AC or heat from afar.

As for picture quality, is it fuzzy at times? Will it freeze on occasion? Yep. But I think you will run into this with any cell connection. This seems to occur in areas of poor coverage, where you're limping buy on a single bar. If it's 480p, that's good enough for the RV, IMO. Definitely viewable.

Finally, I believe that Visible only allows one device at a time to connect to its hotspot. This is not an issue for us as we have multiple phones. If you are using a single phone, this may be problematic should you want to connect to the TV and use a laptop at the same time. I believe I've read the work around is to connect the Visible phone's hotspot to a mini router. There is huge thread at irv2.com related to Visible. A member also posted this tutorial on Google docs, where I believe he discusses (among other things) the router setup.

The tutorial is from May '19 so may be dated, but the gist of it is likely still valid.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:17 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Mark. I figure 480p will be fine. First TV we ever had was mid 50s? on an old antenna my dad and our neighbor put up to share (strapped to a shared laundry line post). Naturally the old flat 2 wire cable came in at a terrible location in the house where there were no chairs. We had an old, maybe 25" black and white set stuck in a corner of that room and we would watch boxing on Friday nights. Hunched over on 2 stools intently watching, we could barely make out the forms in the black and white fuzz on the screen but the audio was good. Ahhhh.... a TV! We had moved into a new century!!! Yep, I figure 480p will be light years better than that.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #49
Jim2366

I have been with Sprint and have the 55 plus plan that is unlimited. I use an app called PdaNet+ that hides the tether usage. T mobile bought Sprint now the network is better but my plan and price will be changing. T mobile said something in the buy out about keeping the plans people had with Sprint for a period of time. Someone here may know the details on that.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

OK folks. I signed up for Visible this afternoon, late afternoon and evening..... Bought a new phone because I'm not moving from Verizon yet before I know what this thing does.

The process was tedious, backwards, frustrating and.....infuriating. Probably because I had questions before I plopped down my hard earned credit card but...no worries, they have no answers. The "system" will handle it. Really! But it does that well; name, address, what phone, credit card number... Oh, don't believe what they tell you; you can't use a credit card unless you have the phone shipped to the billing address - you must use Paypal. Say it ain't so! I told them I wouldn't use Paypal...and I didn't have to. Amex worked just fine. Anyway it's ordered. Said it would be shipped FedEx next day - chatter said it would be 8 days.

In full disclosure I've had a terrible time with our "free" wifi in the park today and that is what prompted me to "get off the pot" and just do this; I can't deal with that kind of stuff. It prolonged the efforts of trying to communicate with Visible...as slow as they were.

I'm hoping....having euphoric visions of a "hotspot" providing me hot, uninterrupted data! I believe I'm about to swoon! I also ordered a nano dual band router...like whipped cream on a chocolate pie!!! Heavens, heavens. I'll not be able to sleep until I get these magical devices. Hmmm, guess I need to calm down, get a grip. Wanted to run through some financials today and this wacked out wifi drove me up a wall. Sorry.

Hopefully I'll have the stuff and get it operational in a few days. I'll report back but it sure seems like it may be the answer many of us look for. I picked a cheap Samsung Galaxy because I just want a hotspot not cameras etc. Cost was something like 340-350 total with the first months service. We will see....we will see.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #51
markcee

Haha.....I think (hope) you will be glad you pulled the trigger. Even I, in my fairly recent venture into RV'ing, found campground WIFI a pretty consistent PITA, at best. You will definitely appreciate the more stable internet connectivity for standard browsing.

Fingers crossed for some solid results!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #52
jasin1

Quote:
OK folks. I signed up for Visible this afternoon, late afternoon and evening..... Bought a new phone because I'm not moving from Verizon yet before I know what this thing does.

The process was tedious, backwards, frustrating and.....infuriating. Probably because I had questions before I plopped down my hard earned credit card but...no worries, they have no answers. The "system" will handle it. Really! But it does that well; name, address, what phone, credit card number... Oh, don't believe what they tell you; you can't use a credit card unless you have the phone shipped to the billing address - you must use Paypal. Say it ain't so! I told them I wouldn't use Paypal...and I didn't have to. Amex worked just fine. Anyway it's ordered. Said it would be shipped FedEx next day - chatter said it would be 8 days.

In full disclosure I've had a terrible time with our "free" wifi in the park today and that is what prompted me to "get off the pot" and just do this; I can't deal with that kind of stuff. It prolonged the efforts of trying to communicate with Visible...as slow as they were.

I'm hoping....having euphoric visions of a "hotspot" providing me hot, uninterrupted data! I believe I'm about to swoon! I also ordered a nano dual band router...like whipped cream on a chocolate pie!!! Heavens, heavens. I'll not be able to sleep until I get these magical devices. Hmmm, guess I need to calm down, get a grip. Wanted to run through some financials today and this wacked out wifi drove me up a wall. Sorry.

Hopefully I'll have the stuff and get it operational in a few days. I'll report back but it sure seems like it may be the answer many of us look for. I picked a cheap Samsung Galaxy because I just want a hotspot not cameras etc. Cost was something like 340-350 total with the first months service. We will see....we will see.
I will be looking forward to your review! Good to hear somebody making a decision about something..lately all I have is questions lol
Old 02-22-2021, 07:32 PM   #53
Jim2366

The Weboost is not perfect. If you are close to an interstate, city, or cell tower it works. If your camping with a mountain or large hill it can block your cell signal. Always have a few back up plans, one being enjoy life without internet.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #54
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
The Weboost is not perfect. If you are close to an interstate, city, or cell tower it works. If your camping with a mountain or large hill it can block your cell signal. Always have a few back up plans, one being enjoy life without internet.

We enjoy life "without internet" generally. I have FAR too many things going on that require my oversight, intervention or just "knowledge" when I'm gone to just "do without internet". It's crazy but it IS the world we live in. I could stay at home and enjoy my super hi speed, reliable service but I choose not to - and won't. When you leave for 2-5 months at a time "hoping" things are going OK in your financial world is just....don't work.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #55
gearhead

I've read. I've studied. I've read some more. Now I know what I'm getting.
A headache.
And maybe a Dish receiver, maybe.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #56
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I've read. I've studied. I've read some more. Now I know what I'm getting.
A headache.
And maybe a Dish receiver, maybe.

Brent I'll let you know how this thing works out. Like you, I've read, studied, pondered, etc. etc. etc. until I too got a headache. Yesterday, with so many problems, I decided I was going to do something even if it didn't work. Maybe it will....
Old 02-23-2021, 11:35 AM   #57
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
How do you record Netflix or Prime?
From a tablet just select download episode usually a menu option. It must be a tablet or phone a laptop is not allowed to download content from streaming services. The steaming service needs to be able to control the copyrighted material which they can't do on a laptop or PC.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #58
jasin1

Quote:

Well?....any updates?
Old 03-07-2021, 05:00 PM   #59
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Well?....any updates.

Sorry! Been playing taxi and "batching it" so tend to sort of "forget" (watching WWII documentary at the moment).

Got the stuff. Bought a Samsung Galaxy A21 simply for a hotspot. Did not want to move our other phones to Visible. Bought a wireless router since the Visible network will limit you to one device; the router looks like one device.

Been working for a week or more and I have to say it works well compared to trying to use the provided wifi networks, having my own networks installed or trying the throttled plans that are offered now.

I have not experienced any throttling (watch Netflix 3-4 hrs in the eve when by myself). The 480p limitation is not an issue as I worried about. My smart TV has some built in "upgrading" of the signal but it is SO much better than the free wifi here, which is probably the best I've ever had without paying some sort of fee.

Paid something like $280 for the smartphone (cheap one) as a hotspot - it will live in the RV. The plan is $40 mo. period they say. The router cost something like 40-50 and it lives in the RV as well. For some the $40 mo. year round may be a deterrent, for me it's not, and you can probably stop it month to month but that doesn't make sense for us. The difficulty, and aggravation, of trying to work through the Visible process would stop me from ever trying to do that again unless absolutely necessary.

All in all, after looking into so many options, doing the research etc. this has been a very good solution for us....until Verizon cuts back the bandwidth allotted to Visible...
Old 03-07-2021, 05:07 PM   #60
jasin1

Quote:
Sorry! Been playing taxi and "batching it" so tend to sort of "forget" (watching WWII documentary at the moment).

Got the stuff. Bought a Samsung Galaxy A21 simply for a hotspot. Did not want to move our other phones to Visible. Bought a wireless router since the Visible network will limit you to one device; the router looks like one device.

Been working for a week or more and I have to say it works well compared to trying to use the provided wifi networks, having my own networks installed or trying the throttled plans that are offered now.

I have not experienced any throttling (watch Netflix 3-4 hrs in the eve when by myself). The 480p limitation is not an issue as I worried about. My smart TV has some built in "upgrading" of the signal but it is SO much better than the free wifi here, which is probably the best I've ever had without paying some sort of fee.

Paid something like $280 for the smartphone (cheap one) as a hotspot - it will live in the RV. The plan is $40 mo. period they say. The router cost something like 40-50 and it lives in the RV as well. For some the $40 mo. year round may be a deterrent, for me it's not, and you can probably stop it month to month but that doesn't make sense for us. The difficulty, and aggravation, of trying to work through the Visible process would stop me from ever trying to do that again unless absolutely necessary.

All in all, after looking into so many options, doing the research etc. this has been a very good solution for us....until Verizon cuts back the bandwidth allotted to Visible...
Well I’m glad to hear it’s working out! It sounds like a solid option.. since you already have experience dealing with visible I can just give you my info and you can set it up for me lol
I’m not really the patient type

Yeah I may just give them a call when I get home.. I have a iphone 10 or 11 I don’t use any more...will see if I can use that...thanks!

Tags
satellite