Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
gregbyst

How clean does the caulking need to be for repairs?

Hello,

I am going to put solar panels on the roof and I learned you should clean the area you will put the panel mounting hardware on before installing. I figured I should just clean the entire roof before covering it with panels and trapping the dirt everywhere else there.

Also, a visual inspection of my seals up there show that all of them are cracking. I was going to follow along with some youtube videos and reseal them, but I learned I should also clean the roof and seals as the first step.

My question is how clean is necessary here? I was on the roof scrubbing today using Simple Green all purpose cleaner and it did improve but there's years of caked on dirt. Does it need to be spotless for the sealant to work correctly?

My other concern is that cleaning the roof with cracks in it will allow water to seep in those cracks and cause damage. Seems like a catch 22 since to seal it it needs to be clean but to clean it I need to put water on it, which is exactly why I need to seal it.

Also, any suggestions on repairing the tears in the roof rubber? We scraped up against a tree unfortunately and the tree won. I put flex seal just for now. I was thinking of sealing it with dicor?

Also there is a crack in the plastic on the bottom part of the side of the trailer (see pic). Any idea for how to seal that?

Also, all the seals on the side of the trailer that are sealed with a clear substance appear to have mold it seems? (see picture) Is that actually mold or is everything okay?

Link is for pictures: https://ibb.co/WcP732C
https://ibb.co/S0ZhLq1
https://ibb.co/XtLj7Zw
https://ibb.co/pWw1ttp
https://ibb.co/r0RnXMX
https://ibb.co/41YWvCW
https://ibb.co/yS1w72M
https://ibb.co/2kbzydF
https://ibb.co/WgwVGbM
https://ibb.co/XW19c6P
https://ibb.co/C7tFjt9

Thank you for your time.

-Greg
gregbyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Dicor self leveling will stick to just about anything. You can use Fantastik and a clean rag, and it should be good. That’s all I do, and haven’t had one come back yet. Obviously the cleaner the better but you should be good.

When you install the brackets, put a puddle of Dicor under the bracket, put the screws in and then completely cover the bracket.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
gregbyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Dicor self leveling will stick to just about anything. You can use Fantastik and a clean rag, and it should be good. That’s all I do, and haven’t had one come back yet. Obviously the cleaner the better but you should be good.

When you install the brackets, put a puddle of Dicor under the bracket, put the screws in and then completely cover the bracket.
Thanks, do you think the Simple Green will work instead of Fantastic?
Old 10-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Chuck - did you look at those pictures?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
BrooksFam

EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
Logan X

Those pictures look pretty bad...you can try self leveling Dicor on the seals and eternabond tape on the ripped spots. That may work or you may need a new roof in order to keep it from leaking.

https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS.../dp/B01JRKPJ0E
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
gregbyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
Those pictures look pretty bad...you can try self leveling Dicor on the seals and eternabond tape on the ripped spots. That may work or you may need a new roof in order to keep it from leaking.

https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS.../dp/B01JRKPJ0E
ooof, well I hope it works. I guess I'll be buying more eternabond. Any comments about my other questions?
Old 10-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #8
LHaven

I know no petroleum products on rubber roofs, but is dilute bleach safe? The photos look a lot more like mold or algae than dirt.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:01 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

I think it would be a great idea put a signature in your posts. This can be done by clicking on the UserCP tab in the black bar to the left on each page. Camper year, make and model and the same for your tow vehicle always helps others answer your questions.

Looks like your roof is EPDM. The black you see on the roof isn't all dirt but the original rubber that the white pigment has worn off of. I suggest your fix your roof issues before installing anything. Eternabond can be used for the holes/cuts and Dicor but perhaps a whole roof sealer will make sense:
https://www.epdmcoatings.com/liquid-roof.php

Water instrusion into your camper is only a matter of time with the roof in that condition.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:23 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I looked at a couple pics this morning, and I agree that something needs to be done before you even consider Solar. The product linked above is one option, Dicor also makes a roof coating. Personally I wouldn’t bother with Eternabond tape, that roof probably should be replaced.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:31 AM   #11
ChuckS

Looked at your photos. While I realize you’d like to reseal and install those solar panels from what the pics show I would address the critical item that needs fixed before investing in solar power...

Quite frankly your roof is shot and you’ve got issues under that roof covering that are only gonna get worse... mold, leaks for certain and overall safety to live in it due to mold spreading.

That said... if you can’t replace roof... and most likely some bad under structure then buy several tubes of self leveling sealant and spend a day or two and reseal everything. Eternabond over the tears in the roof will last for a while.

Just my honest opinion ... and wish you the best with your endeavors

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:33 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I looked at a couple pics this morning, and I agree that something needs to be done before you even consider Solar. The product linked above is one option, Dicor also makes a roof coating. Personally I wouldn’t bother with Eternabond tape, that roof probably should be replaced.

Not sure what year or model his traiiler is so don't know how much it might be worth. To replace a roof is a pricey investment and that is a decision only the OP can make. I replaced mine on my ancient camper as the insurance company paid for it. Not sure I would have gone that route on my own dime. The Dicor coating might be a great option and I didn't think of it. The OP will have to make some decisions but surely shouldn't stick solar panels on top that roof as it is now. The roof is shot.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:38 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Labor is what makes replacement expensive. Lots of time to prep the surface, clean putty tape from trim, vents and such. I agree, without knowing how old the unit is, general overall condition, new roof materials only may not be worthwhile.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Chuck and Chuck above. Without knowing the condition of the rest of the trailer and the intended purpose after repair (parked in one place to have a structure built over the roof vs being towed over the roads from campground to campground_...

The condition of the roof and probably the wood structure under the roof membrane show some significant weather damage as well as multiple sources for water intrusion into the trailer. It's apparent that without repairing the underlying structure, insulation and then the membrane, that trailer's useful life will be critically shortened.

I would suggest putting all "solar installation plans" on hold until the trailer is properly repaired and the roof either repaired or replaced. Currently, the condition of the roof structure and further, the condition of the trailer superstructure is, at best, questionable and could be "beyond repair" in its current condition.

The only "reassuring photo" that I saw was the last one, which displayed the sealant around what appeared to be an access door. That sealant looked to be intact with some mold/discoloration, but otherwise, still functional. It only needed to be cleaned and carefully inspected. All the other sealant was in "dire/unserviceable condition". Your roof is unserviceable and will be costly to "have it repaired". Doing the work yourself, if you're capable, will be the cheapest way to go, but I'd strongly suggest doing it the right way the first time. Any "shortcuts to rush a solar installation project" is very likely to end up with even more expensive water damage before you even recoup the investment in the solar equipment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:32 AM   #15
travelin texans

To answer his original question of how clean it needs to be before repairs, from the photos posted the entire roof needs to be a helluva lot cleaner than it is now before even thinking about repairs.
A good cleaning, let dry, then wipe areas with denatured alcohol be applying caulk or eternabond.
If the rest of that rv has been as well cared for as the roof I hope they got it for nothing or at least VERY cheap. That roof appears to have NEVER been cleaned or maintained. Should probably use the $$ on the roof rather than a solar system.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:42 AM   #16
ewbldavis

That looks overdue for a whole new roof...fo sho.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not sure what year or model his traiiler is so don't know how much it might be worth. To replace a roof is a pricey investment and that is a decision only the OP can make. I replaced mine on my ancient camper as the insurance company paid for it. Not sure I would have gone that route on my own dime. The Dicor coating might be a great option and I didn't think of it. The OP will have to make some decisions but surely shouldn't stick solar panels on top that roof as it is now. The roof is shot.

His profile shows a 2007 Outback. Looks like the roof was touched last in about......2007
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
His profile shows a 2007 Outback. Looks like the roof was touched last in about......2007

When I purchased my 2002 Cougar a few years back, my roof and sealing around roof penetrations was much better than the OP's but my roof had a lot of black showing. I assumed (love that word) that it was DIRTY. I scrubbed with mild detergent and a brush on a handle and it got blacker. Did some reading and found that the black is a sign of age and just plain wear. I have an RV-Armor roof now and the roof will outlast the camper.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #19
gregbyst

Update:

I went over everything on the roof that had caulking on it and resealed it. I did a perimeter seal around everything as well as covered the cracks on everything. Regarding the damaged area of the roof, I used eternabond to cover that up and it is looking good so far. Today I finished sealing everything. What I did was I cleaned with my simple green cleaner, water and some paper towels. I scrubbed the caulking really well and got most of the dirt off before letting the areas dry and applying the Dicor.

Tomorrow I plan on scrubbing the roof as best as I can. If I get it as reasonably clean as possible I will proceed with my solar install, but if not I will clean it the next day again.

Trailer: 2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Addition (Fifth Wheel)

Truck: 2002 Ford F-250 V10
Old 10-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #20
Kzneft

Looks like a new roof is in order to me.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs