Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2020, 06:52 AM   #21
tech740

it is nice to see someone receptive and understanding to "bad" news. Most on here are in the been there done that group. The seasonal site idea is great to get use from the RV but not need to move it. You may even find you like using it as a "cabin". Either way stick around and keep us posted.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #22
NevadaRich

CuTiger80, I'm just going to make a couple notes....Everyone has given a lot of information to you, only you can decide, but with all that weight, YES you can move it, YES this time you can get where you want to go, but the next time, Some A/hole pulls in front of you thinking you can stop 20k in 10 feet, you will remember what everyone stated, Sorry but you need a 3500 or F350 etc Dully to safely pull that RV, OH YES the RV dealer said as he smiles at you when your driving off the lot!! Good Luck on picking another truck, you will feel better and safer.... By the way I am new here but have been RVing over 20 years and I have a 43ft Toy Hauler
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #23
CUTiger80

Thanks for everyone's input.
If I had not wanted it, I wouldn't have created the post.
For now, I am going to install a spring kit on the rear, which should help out with the way the truck sits and rides when towing. I know that this is not the permanent fix and does not increase any of the weight specs of the truck.
When it is time to replace the truck in a few years, I will upgrade as many of you have suggested.

2019 Montana 3561RL
2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax High Country
Romans 8:28
CUTiger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #24
travelin texans

Fortunately your 2500 diesel is a sought after truck so if you attempted to sell it yourself could possibly come out ok. If you try to trade check the selling price for similar trucks, the dealer is going to try & steal it from you knowing it's probably already resold to someone that's been there looking.
Sorry for the bad news, but as others have mentioned you're not the 1st & sure won't be the last to have fallen into this exact situation.
All the pertinent numbers you need will be on the particular trucks door jamb & the GVWR of a particular rv, pay no attention to salesman, brochures or advertising.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #25
ND1C

I got tired of being asked if I could Tow what ever was at the RV Show, My Solution was a DRW 3500HD And a B&W 27K Hitch. Then I told her pick what she wants. Way Overkill for My Half ton tow-able Laredo 245RL 5th wheel (7200Lbs.) But when we Upgrade I should be Ok with most of what ever she wants. Buy the Horse before the carriage. And it never hurts to have some head room and piece of mind.
ND1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #26
MarkEHansen

That's exactly what we were thinking with our truck. You just can't have too much truck
Old 09-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #27
Jim2366

After getting the right truck to pull the RV a friend who is a retired pilot gave me some good advice. He flew a private jet for an Orange grower. He told me to always check my tire pressure before each trip. He also told me to stay 65mph or under to reduce the risk of problems. I have been doing both and it makes the trip more enjoyable and relaxing.

Pilots always go through a check list for a good reason so I figure I want to get to my destination too.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #28
Wingman301

We had the same situation when we upgraded from a 6,000 lb TT to a 14,000 Cougar and then thought I could tow it with a Ford F-250 SRW. We had tremendous bucking and chucking between the truck and the fifth wheel. I then went to this forum and realized I was over the cargo capacity of our truck. I was sick. I told the wife we either needed to sell our brand new fifth wheel and downsize or we needed a different truck. We traded up to a Ford F-350 Dually and towing the fifth wheel was a pleasure! The difference in the ride and handling was amazing. No bucking or chucking. The truck handled the big fifth wheel beautifully. I was then able to sleep again at night and enjoy our trips. It was tough realizing we needed to make a change, but once we decided and made the change we were both much much happier. Safety first.
B+W Companion 25K 5th Wheel Hitch
Wingman301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman301 View Post
We had the same situation when we upgraded from a 6,000 lb TT to a 14,000 Cougar and then thought I could tow it with a Ford F-250 SRW. We had tremendous bucking and chucking between the truck and the fifth wheel. I then went to this forum and realized I was over the cargo capacity of our truck. I was sick. I told the wife we either needed to sell our brand new fifth wheel and downsize or we needed a different truck. We traded up to a Ford F-350 Dually and towing the fifth wheel was a pleasure! The difference in the ride and handling was amazing. No bucking or chucking. The truck handled the big fifth wheel beautifully. I was then able to sleep again at night and enjoy our trips. It was tough realizing we needed to make a change, but once we decided and made the change we were both much much happier. Safety first.

Great post Wingman. Although I won't buy a dually you have stated exactly what every person I've known has said about upgrading and buying the proper size tow vehicle. Thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:57 AM   #30
ChuckS

I’d run the cold inflation psi stamped on the side walls of those tires...regardless of your weight...

I’m surprised at the door sticker on your truck for payload capacity... my 2007 GMC club cab 4x4 short bed 2500 Duramax has a lot more capacity then what your sticker shows..

Mine is 2650 on the sticker on the door... I tow a 2014 34 foot Alpine .... run 110 psi in the tires... have for the last 7 years ..

Stuff rides and travels fine

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:11 AM   #31
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I’d run the cold inflation psi stamped on the side walls of those tires...regardless of your weight...

I’m surprised at the door sticker on your truck for payload capacity... my 2007 GMC club cab 4x4 short bed 2500 Duramax has a lot more capacity then what your sticker shows..

Mine is 2650 on the sticker on the door... I tow a 2014 34 foot Alpine .... run 110 psi in the tires... have for the last 7 years ..

Stuff rides and travels fine
That trailer is heavy for that truck, not debating it can pull that weight, the payload seems off. Mine is 2700 with a gas engine. Double cab, standard box 4x4 sle.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:41 AM   #32
ChuckS

Quote:
That trailer is heavy for that truck, not debating it can pull that weight, the payload seems off. Mine is 2700 with a gas engine. Double cab, standard box 4x4 sle.
Cheers ....

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote