Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #21
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Wonder what the ambient temp was at time of blowout and did you have a TPMS and is so what were the tire pressures and temps?

That’s a heavy 5er ... and a good tire... the Hercules 901 series should serve you well
The TPMS would be my question as well. Checking tires the night before means they were fine the night before - but how about 10 hours later and 5 minutes before the failure?

I agree with changing the tires early as insurance - but having a TPMS system in operation at all times is even better insurance! JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #22
Hoopy Frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Y'all laugh at me for buying new tires for the trailer every two years...� � Cheap insurance.
Well, it may be insurance but it ain't cheap. Putting new tires on my triple axle toyhauler every two years would be foolish. My 6 year old Sailuns still look good, perform well, and didn't lose any air pressure over the last year of sitting in storage. Even if one blows now and causes $1000 worth of damage I'm still about $2000 ahead going by your standards. But whatever floats yer boat.

I certainly wouldn't lose faith in a tire brand because you had a failure. You have to look at the overall number of failures, and I believe you'll find very few Sailun failures. I intend to buy Sailun when I replace my old Sailuns. Probably next year, that will make them 7 years old, but only about 30,000 miles so I may put the old ones up on Craigslist since they still look and function great.

"Don't Panic"
Hoopy Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #23
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
Well, it may be insurance but it ain't cheap. Putting new tires on my triple axle toyhauler every two years would be foolish. My 6 year old Sailuns still look good, perform well, and didn't lose any air pressure over the last year of sitting in storage. Even if one blows now and causes $1000 worth of damage I'm still about $2000 ahead going by your standards. But whatever floats yer boat.

I certainly wouldn't lose faith in a tire brand because you had a failure. You have to look at the overall number of failures, and I believe you'll find very few Sailun failures. I intend to buy Sailun when I replace my old Sailuns. Probably next year, that will make them 7 years old, but only about 30,000 miles so I may put the old ones up on Craigslist since they still look and function great.
$171 each at Walmart.. $1026 for 6.. or in my case $684 and I sell them for $50 a tire when I take them off..(standing offer) so I'm actually only out $484 every two years.. My DW can spend that in one curio store in less than 10 minutes
Old 09-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #24
NevadaRich

gearhead, I am another Sailuns tire guy and have a very large Trailer, 6 tires to buy, I have had these tires for 5 years and had No trouble so far, I do use a TPMS system, One thing that I do when the RV is in storage is raise the RV so the tires are almost off the ground, I was advised to do that on my boat trailer which has a 26ft boat, and those tires are 6 years old, I will change those next year. Like one guy mentioned, not every tire is made the same, even the best will go bad...BUT if you feel better changing to some other tire I would......Also get a TPMS system, it will keep you informed of whats going on back there, My Trailer is 43ft long and over 25k pounds, if a tire went south, I wouldn't know until some one advised me !!
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:30 AM   #25
m.lange

I have Sailuns on my triple axle toy hauler. I am on my second set and have great faith in them. I also run a TPMS system. I am sure I will buy Sailuns again.
m.lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:30 AM   #26
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
215/75R 17.5 Sailun failure. Running about 65MPH on US550 in the middle of nowhere New Mexico; an explosion. Nothing in my mirror. Betty, you think that was us?? YES the tire on my side just exploded!
Yes it did. I got off the road without drama. Fender pulled off and bottom trim caved in. Called Good Sam road service. Long story short...2 dirtbags showed up 2.5 hours after I called. I already had the the wheel off. They had a breakover bar and a couple sockets. No impact, no compressor. I called Discount Tire and they ordered a Hercules tire for delivery the next morning. On our way the next noon.
If your other tires are the same, expect the same.
Replace them all.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #27
ChrisB

I have a 43 footer toy hauler with tripple axils as well. In my the early part of my second year of owning this rig. Even though I have read multitudes of post about the China bombs. I find that until you have experienced the damage they cause first hand it is hard to make yourself buy good tires. One of my tires blew out and even though there where 5 others I knew right away. A quick look into the passenger side mirror and pieces were flying everywhere. Got everything shutdown and discovered the tread got wrapped around the axial, ripping the brake wiring out of the hub in the process for two wheels. The under carriage got ripped out and the water proofing liner was destroyed as well. We also Discovered a huge hematoma on the tire next to the one that blew out. Had to change them both. Finished our journey and replaced all 6 with goodyear endurance. They have been good tires for me. We just completed over 3k mile trip from Houston Texas to yellowstone and back. Stayed in Idaho at the West entrance. Nobtire issues and these tires are already 2 years old. I am sure that I will replace them with the same brand. Not to mention discount tire's backing.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #28
azchoco

Quote:
Glad it wasn't any worse than it was.. be safe
I had a similar blowout that did considerable damage. A few thousand to repair the damage. I purchashed a TPMS after that. Now I can tell if a tire is heating up or losing pressure BEFORE the failure. Good investment and piece of mind.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #29
Hoopy Frood

Quote:
$171 each at Walmart.. $1026 for 6.. or in my case $684 and I sell them for $50 a tire when I take them off..(standing offer) so I'm actually only out $484 every two years.. My DW can spend that in one curio store in less than 10 minutes
Amen. LOL

"Don't Panic"
Hoopy Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #30
ncstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchoco View Post
I had a similar blowout that did considerable damage. A few thousand to repair the damage. I purchashed a TPMS after that. Now I can tell if a tire is heating up or losing pressure BEFORE the failure. Good investment and piece of mind.
What TPMS did you go with?

2011 Raptor 300mp
2007 Harley F250 6.0 diesel
2008 Yamaha waverunners
ncstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #31
Tireman9

A couple observations and support for what others are saying.
Since you did not get the tires new you really have no idea what previous owner did for monitoring Load or Inflation.
You didn't offer what your individual axle loads are.
You say you check your inflation. What level do you run? When was the last time you confirmed your gauge was at least +/- a couple of psi from accurate.
Have you read THIS post?
Have you ever don a "Free Spin" inspection? Many times this can reveal belt separations hundreds of miles before they grow to the point the tire comes apart.
Have you files a complaint with NHTSA (you will need both your trailer VIN and the full DOT serial.

I hear lots of people saying they never hit anything but while I do not doubt you do not remember hitting anything on today's roads I would challenge anyone to remember every pot hole of piece of concrete they drove over with tires 25" behind the driver over the past 1,000 miles. There is a scientific study showing a 100% correlation of tire failure to impact.

I published pictures of two tire failures on my blog. One on my car and one on the wife's car. Neither of us remember hitting anything but the evidence is 100% clear we did it something.

Looking forward to learning your load and inflation numbers.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #32
Vet4jdc

Quote:
Y'all laugh at me for buying new tires for the trailer every two years...� � Cheap insurance.
I'm going to be on the three year plan myself!

My blowout came in year 4.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #33
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
A couple observations and support for what others are saying.
Since you did not get the tires new you really have no idea what previous owner did for monitoring Load or Inflation.
You didn't offer what your individual axle loads are.
You say you check your inflation. What level do you run? When was the last time you confirmed your gauge was at least +/- a couple of psi from accurate.
Have you read THIS post?
Have you ever don a "Free Spin" inspection? Many times this can reveal belt separations hundreds of miles before they grow to the point the tire comes apart.
Have you files a complaint with NHTSA (you will need both your trailer VIN and the full DOT serial.

I hear lots of people saying they never hit anything but while I do not doubt you do not remember hitting anything on today's roads I would challenge anyone to remember every pot hole of piece of concrete they drove over with tires 25" behind the driver over the past 1,000 miles. There is a scientific study showing a 100% correlation of tire failure to impact.

I published pictures of two tire failures on my blog. One on my car and one on the wife's car. Neither of us remember hitting anything but the evidence is 100% clear we did it something.

Looking forward to learning your load and inflation numbers.
I haven't weighed each axle separately. I have weighed both together with the truck. I have 18,000GVW with 8,000# axles. From memory, I'm about 17,400 total with around 4,400 on the pin. With the load range H tires at 4800 each I'm heavy but good.
The blowout was on the curb side, the lighter side of the trailer with just the dinette and recliners, as opposed to the kitchen side with the pantry, stoves, and refrigerator.
I ain't no shoe salesman. I am anal about tire pressure, and most everything else. My "go to" is a Joe's Racing digital gauge, good for +/- 1%. Backed by a Joe's analog. Backed by another digital, backed by the Ram pressure system. I take pressure readings in the morning before the sun shines on the tires and before they have been driven on. I run max pressure on all 12 of my trailer tires. The Sailun calls for 123PSI.
I had a Trakker TPMS on a previous Montana HC but can't get it to change pressures from the LR E specs. I need to work on that.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:01 PM   #34
notanlines

No reason at all that a set of Sailuns won't make a good five years. $750 every five years isn't much to ask. Change every two years if you sleep better. $375 a year. That won't put a pimple on a hind end of a good beer budget. Buy the Sailuns, sell 'em used, sleep good, and secretly siphon the money off Momma's pull tabs at the beer joint () but keep good tires on your rig!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #35
Tireman9

Quote:
I haven't weighed each axle separately. I have weighed both together with the truck. I have 18,000GVW with 8,000# axles. From memory, I'm about 17,400 total with around 4,400 on the pin. With the load range H tires at 4800 each I'm heavy but good.
The blowout was on the curb side, the lighter side of the trailer with just the dinette and recliners, as opposed to the kitchen side with the pantry, stoves, and refrigerator.
I ain't no shoe salesman. I am anal about tire pressure, and most everything else. My "go to" is a Joe's Racing digital gauge, good for +/- 1%. Backed by a Joe's analog. Backed by another digital, backed by the Ram pressure system. I take pressure readings in the morning before the sun shines on the tires and before they have been driven on. I run max pressure on all 12 of my trailer tires. The Sailun calls for 123PSI.
I had a Trakker TPMS on a previous Montana HC but can't get it to change pressures from the LR E specs. I need to work on that.

Well it's good to know you have some data 9better than the guess some use) and a good pressure gauge. Given that RVSEF (certified weighing company that does individual tire position weights at large RV Conventions) has discovered that a majority of RVs have a tire or axle in overload. They have also confirmed some individual unbalance is in the range of 1,000#.

I strongly suggest, at a minimum you get your individual axle scale readings. Only a few $ more than a single overall reading. I also suggest you assume you have side to side imbalance of about 3% (53/47% side to side load split). I also suggest you do a "Free Spin" inspection at least once a year.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:55 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
No reason at all that a set of Sailuns won't make a good five years. $750 every five years isn't much to ask. Change every two years if you sleep better. $375 a year. That won't put a pimple on a hind end of a good beer budget. Buy the Sailuns, sell 'em used, sleep good, and secretly siphon the money off Momma's pull tabs at the beer joint () but keep good tires on your rig!

Oh boy, now you put it in writing and when Brenda finds out.... For a bit I thought you had shadowed me to TX and observed my "operational skills" but after driving around to the limited RV parks here I could not see a MS thru the muddy mist....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:10 AM   #37
gearhead

Quote:
Well it's good to know you have some data 9better than the guess some use) and a good pressure gauge. Given that RVSEF (certified weighing company that does individual tire position weights at large RV Conventions) has discovered that a majority of RVs have a tire or axle in overload. They have also confirmed some individual unbalance is in the range of 1,000#.

I strongly suggest, at a minimum you get your individual axle scale readings. Only a few $ more than a single overall reading. I also suggest you assume you have side to side imbalance of about 3% (53/47% side to side load split). I also suggest you do a "Free Spin" inspection at least once a year.
I assume there is some side to side imbalance the way the trailer is built. Not sure I can do much about it.
I will weigh each axle soon. I suppose it's possible but given my numbers I think it would be unlikely that I could overload a tire.
The spin test I will do.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 09-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #38
Tireman9

Quote:
I assume there is some side to side imbalance the way the trailer is built. Not sure I can do much about it.
I will weigh each axle soon. I suppose it's possible but given my numbers I think it would be unlikely that I could overload a tire.
The spin test I will do.

RE Free Spin. Have you reviewed the video?
If you Google free spin tire inspection
you should find information with a video

PM me if you can't find the video

RE overload. Remember RVIA recommends a 10% Reserve Load and I and other Tire Engineers suggest 15%
Old 09-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #39
Northofu1

Quote:
RE Free Spin. Have you reviewed the video?
If you Google free spin tire inspection
you should find information with a video

PM me if you can't find the video

RE overload. Remember RVIA recommends a 10% Reserve Load and I and other Tire Engineers suggest 15%
Thanks for the info Roger, this is greatly appreciated.
Dan

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #40
gearhead

I Googled it and got a lot of BS.
If you are referring to free spin in regards to run out, I can handle that. Might even put a dial indicator on it.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS