Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #21
fritschw

Try Steelerubber.com. They have all kinds of RV moldings and better quality than OEM. Just ordered some insert rubber for my 5er.
fritschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:04 PM   #22
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Try some diluted Simple Green on a rag. I just cleaned my entire roof a week ago with a spray bottle if it, a deck brush and a hose. A dampened rag with diluted simple green, wipe it down, then follow up with a dampened rag with just water. Let it dry up well and then apply the Alpha or Dicor.
Simple Green isn't a product our family has ever tried, but I bought some for this job. Now I've just learned that it removes wax. Sigh. Nothing's ever easy.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #23
LHaven

Do painter's spirits remove dried Dicor non-leveling? I just did the top of the rail run, and it was a total amateur hour production. Random smears of tan caulk all over the black vinyl strip from where I smoothed it out with a finger dipped in water and a little Dawn.

I'm going to try to clean up the strip tomorrow with whatever people tell me removes the caulk... and unless it's a fast and easy job, I'm seriously considering caulking the other side by removing the entire strip on that side beforehand and putting it back later.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #24
Bill-2020

Your TPO roof and petroleum products don’t mix! I would shy away from that.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #25
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Do painter's spirits remove dried Dicor non-leveling? I just did the top of the rail run, and it was a total amateur hour production. Random smears of tan caulk all over the black vinyl strip from where I smoothed it out with a finger dipped in water and a little Dawn.

I'm going to try to clean up the strip tomorrow with whatever people tell me removes the caulk... and unless it's a fast and easy job, I'm seriously considering caulking the other side by removing the entire strip on that side beforehand and putting it back later.
Also-
Use painters tape on the other side, like you would in the home. Apply your tape, then your sealant, let it begin to tack up a little, then peel off the tape leaving a perfect line. (Your line will be as straight as your tape was)
Old 10-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #26
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Your TPO roof and petroleum products don’t mix! I would shy away from that.
I'm aware of that... but the slopped-up area is on the far side of the caulk bead from the TPO, so I don't have to touch the TPO at all to clean it. I'm just rubbing a metal channel and the vinyl screw cover strip. If for some reason the spirits cause long-term damage to the screw strip, well, I still have another half roll in stock. And so far nobody has suggested an alternative solvent for the caulk.

I cleaned up all the slop successfully yesterday with mineral spirits. Today I'll be tackling caulking the other side, and yes, I'll be using the blue tape this time. I shouldn't manage to slop any more, though it's comforting to know that about 70% of this job is going to be behind the awning roll where it won't be visible anyway.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:53 AM   #27
Bill-2020

I’m probably 6 to 9 months behind you on needing to do the same on the edges of the roof and gutter rail. But for now the vinyl looks okay, knock on wood.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #28
LHaven

The vinyl was pretty easy. The caulking was painful. Did the other side today with painter's tape... it came out better, but I learned that fresh painter's tape is worth having when it comes time to pull the tape off. The stuff I had in my cabinet shredded like betting slips.

Tags
led