Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2020, 10:57 PM   #1
WVAMike

110 volt outlets

I just purchased a 2021 Bullet 250BHS. Where I have it parked does not have electric hookup. After bringing it from the dealer we were looking it over for the first time on our own. The slide went out with no problem. The lights work. The cd/dvd radio works but the tv doesn’t come on. I took a volt meter and measured the voltage on each of the outlets in the trailer and there was no ax voltage.
My question is, does the trailer have to be connected to shore power for the outlets to work and thus the tv to come on? Right now what does work must be running off of the battery.
Thank you.
WVAMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:50 AM   #2
notanlines

Mike, none of your outlets will work (nothing 115 volt) without being hooked into shore power. Nor will the battery charge.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:50 AM   #3
Logan X

Like Jim said, your 110 outlets won’t work unless you are plugged into shore power.

If you want to watch TV or other stuff using the 110 outlets, you can install an inverter to change some of the 12v power coming from the battery to 110v power. If you want to do this you may need to have at least 2 batteries.

Here is a video on my batteries and off grid power set up. Check it out if you want more detailed information.

https://youtu.be/iaQZY_naOdE
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:20 AM   #4
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVAMike View Post
I just purchased a 2021 Bullet 250BHS. Where I have it parked does not have electric hookup. After bringing it from the dealer we were looking it over for the first time on our own. The slide went out with no problem. The lights work. The cd/dvd radio works but the tv doesn’t come on. I took a volt meter and measured the voltage on each of the outlets in the trailer and there was no ax voltage.
My question is, does the trailer have to be connected to shore power for the outlets to work and thus the tv to come on? Right now what does work must be running off of the battery.
Thank you.
Your trailer has both 12 Volt and 120 Volt systems. You should search on the internet for "understanding my trailer electrical systems" type information. It will be important for you to have a basic understanding of your electrical systems before you jump into the world of batteries, 12V, 120V, converters, inverters, solar systems, shore power, generators, etc. Here's a couple of examples to get you started:

https://youtu.be/Yie1NuUWIsU

https://youtu.be/EB1RGQ4emig

Hope that helps...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:35 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum WVMike. do get to the other side of Huntington? We stayed in MIlton a few years ago. Visited the Blenko glass factory and the famous (or infamous) Hillbilly Hot Dog. That was something. Also have cousin around Charleston that we visit with.

Anyway, to your question. You have two seperate electrical systems in your camper. 120 v ac and 12v dc.

The 120v ac system powers all the duplex outlets, the air conditioner compressor and fan, the 120v ac heating elements int he water heater, refrigerator, air conditioner if it has a "heat strip". The 120v ac also powers the power converter which charges the battery.

The 12v dc system is powered by the battery. The system is used for all lighting, to operate the slides and the stabilizers and jack (if so equipped), the radio, the tv antenna booster, and the control boards for the refrigerator, water heater, air conditioner control board & thermostat, the furnace control board and the furnace fan.

The 12v dc system will operate the items above but operating the furnace will drain a battery very rapidly. Your battery (supplied by the dealer) is most likely not a true deep cycle battery. Dealers typically install a "marine deep cycle" battery which is designed to start the boat motor and maybe run the anchor light overnight. If the battery has a CCA (cold cranking amps) rating then it's not a true deep cycle.

If your trailer came from the factory with a battery disconnect switch it WILL NOT disconnect all the circuits. There will be a parasitic load from the CO/LP leak detector, the radio memory, etc. that will drain down the battery in just a few days of setting. The only way to prevent this battery discharge is to add a disconnect to the negative battery cable or remove the negative cable from the battery. Most folks that "boondock" or dry camp with no hook ups available will install two batteries. Most use two 6 v dc golf cart batteries in series as they offer a more storage capacity and tolerate deep discharges.

I know thius a lot of info to digest. Hope it helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlets