Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Lundy

Saving power pulling fuses.

I recently purchased a 2013 Springdale 232. We ordered it with the 12volt entertainment system which includes the stereo and a TV. The stereo has an LCD panel that stays on all the time. When it is in storage the batteries will discharge way to fast so I was thinking the LCD panel was part of the problem. I was thinking of pulling the fuse that runs the entertainment system to keep that from being a constant draw. I have the WFCO converter in the trailer, is there any problem with having a fuse out with power to the converter. The reason I ask is a small light comes on next to the fuse location once the fuse has been pulled. My old trailer didn’t have this converter. I know I can just disconnect the batts, but I have a small solar panel that trickles the batteries and is suppose to keep them charged during storage. At this time it doesn’t keep up so I am trying to eliminate draws on the batteries.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Just do a battery disconnect and both problems would be solved. :shrug:
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Lundy

I can't disconnect the batteries because the solar panel runs through the converter. The panel was installed by Keystone, its part of the SRT package.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
B&T

Appears the only thing you can do is to pull the DC fuses going to your parasitic loads. The led light coming on is an indicator of an open fuse (blown or removed) -- will not hurt the converter or anything else.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Or install an on/off switch out by the parasitic item, in this case, the AM/FM/CD. My Cougar has the darker wood trim inside so I got some black switches and cover plates (regular residential style, nothing fancy or expensive) from Home Depot and added an on/off for the stereo and one for the USB power port.

My propane detector is right where the steps to the upper level are located. When I relocate it, I'll add a switch for that too.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You should be able to put a battery disconnect behind the converter, connect the solar charger "downstream" from the disconnect. That would put the switch adjacent to the converter and moving the charge line from the solar controller to the battery side of that switch should be simple.

While pulling fuses will work, it's a hassle to keep pulling them every time you put the RV in storage. Depending on how often that is, I'm suspecting that the fuse holders will eventually wear and not make good contact with the fuses and lead to problems with heat/arcing and reduced 12 volts to that circuit. Most fuse holders aren't designed for repeated removal/replacement of the fuse and I believe you'd be asking for future problems doing that repeatedly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
I can't disconnect the batteries because the solar panel runs through the converter. The panel was installed by Keystone, its part of the SRT package.
If the battery is disconnected there will be nothing for the solar panel to charge. I don't understand why that's a problem.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
If the battery is disconnected there will be nothing for the solar panel to charge. I don't understand why that's a problem.
Good point, with the battery disconnected, there should be no reason to charge the battery. A good 12 VDC battery should hold a charge at least for a month or so if there's no discharge. By disconnecting it, there would be no discharge and when reconnected, a "reasonable tow distance" should use the tow vehicle charging system to top off the charge and the solar can help keep it there during use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote