Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
JohnK

Durability issues

I just joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and have been intrigued by alot of the posts that mention the durability or structure of the Keystones...As a new owner of a 2012 Springdale 266 RLSSR i plan to actually live in this trailer for approximately 8-12 months while my new house is being built......Can anyone out there give me some kind of feedback as to any problems they have encountered with extending their stay with their camper...I don't want to see this falling apart on me after a year....
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
gbsb

We have been living in our Fuzion Toyhauler for 1 1/2 years now and have pulled it 20,000 miles in that time and have had no durability issues. I have had good service from Keystone products. We have been living in a Keystone product for the last 7 years. If you aren't pulling it you shouldn't have any problems. Keep in mind campers do require some maiantance.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
camper 2010

We purchased a 2010 Cougar 27 RLS in October 2009, just before I retired. From that time on, we have spent about 28 months in it on the road, pulling it about 18,000 miles. We did a few mods for better full time living but have not had any major problems that Keystone did not take care in the 1st year. As for the looks of the trailer today, it looks like new. I wash it every months and wax it every 5 or 6. It is just like a car, you must do maintenance to keep it great shape.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
I just joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and have been intrigued by alot of the posts that mention the durability or structure of the Keystones...As a new owner of a 2012 Springdale 266 RLSSR i plan to actually live in this trailer for approximately 8-12 months while my new house is being built......Can anyone out there give me some kind of feedback as to any problems they have encountered with extending their stay with their camper...I don't want to see this falling apart on me after a year....
Welcome to the forum. We have essentially the same trailer as you, only ours is the fifth wheel model. I think that with reasonable care, careful "living activity" and proper upkeep, your Springdale will survive a year of full time living.

However (yes there's always a catch)

If you're planning to live in it in Indiana during the winter, you'll need to do some significant upgrades to keep it "freezeproof". The specs on your RV claim R7 walls, floor and roof. Some of the "higher line" claim R19 walls, R40 floor and R30 roof insulation and their owners are saying they don't remain warm in the winter without significant propane use and modifications to keep the underbelly warm. You'll probably beneift from installing "heat shrink" storm windows, (the big back window is like a "black hole" when it comes to heat loss) side skirting, under trailer heat, heated water input hose, heated tank drain. This is just a start, you'll find a number of things that need extra insulation to keep you cozy in the winter.

It would definitely be to your benefit to start early on those things rather than wait until it's cold to begin the planning/implementation.

Springdale is one of the "entry level" RV's made by Keystone and they don't even offer a "Polar Package" or such. The Springdale line is more a "summer RV" so you'll have some challenges in keeping it warm during an Indiana winter.

I'm not trying to frighten you, rather suggest that you get started early in the fall to prepare for a comfortable winter. Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
mikell

Get on Ebay abd buy a roll of foil backed bubble wrap insulation because it's a LOT cheaper there. We cover the bottom of our windows with it an all of some of the windows we don't really need. Get some foam and make plugs for the skylights get radiator type electric heaters they are quiet and stay warm and you can sit a pot of water on them for humidity or water to wash dishes.

Water line is easy I'm upgrading from the 3 year old hose to copper this year but the basic setup will be the same. Heat tape attached to the water line legenth wise, don't overlap it. Buy the good tape not the colorful cheap stuff. Slide foam tube insulation over the pipe and duct tape the ends together. Then I wrapped the whole thing in bubble wrap insulation and buried it where I could but put it inside sewer pipe for protection. 3 years in Southwest Michigan and in the winter the water is actually HOT in the morning and it's a 60 foot run. Will write it up when I do the over haul probably in September sometime. Plastic water line taste bad when the heat tape is on thats why I'm switching to copper
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote