Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2022, 11:40 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I never did get an answer to this question, but the answer suggested itself to me shortly afterward: obviously, the motor is mounted on the slide lip and travels with the slide, so it's always reachable by a person inside the slide.

Well, the last time I put the slide in to go on a trip, I shoved my camera up there to make sure, and I was wrong. The motor is definitely mounted to the coach frame, and by the time the slide comes in, it's about 5 feet away from any human's reach.

So how is this manual retraction procedure supposed to work at all?
I suspect one could use extensions. Had I seen your previous post I could have told you the motor and gearbox is mounted to the sidewall.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:44 AM   #22
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I never did get an answer to this question, but the answer suggested itself to me shortly afterward: obviously, the motor is mounted on the slide lip and travels with the slide, so it's always reachable by a person inside the slide.

Well, the last time I put the slide in to go on a trip, I shoved my camera up there to make sure, and I was wrong. The motor is definitely mounted to the coach frame, and by the time the slide comes in, it's about 5 feet away from any human's reach.

So how is this manual retraction procedure supposed to work at all?
You need one of these. They're so handy that original rv owners keep them on trade in
https://highskyrvparts.com/rv-parts/...e-shaft-854161

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 12:59 PM   #23
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
You need one of these. They're so handy that original rv owners keep them on trade in
https://highskyrvparts.com/rv-parts/...e-shaft-854161
I've got one of those, it came with the trailer. The problem is, I would need something like five or six of those!

When the slide is open, the flex shaft barely reaches from the motor shaft socket (mounted fore and aft) to the inside slide lip. When the slide is in, add another yard!

I might be able to set up the shaft tool to start bringing the slide in, but it would disconnect before I moved it more than a few inches. And if the slide is in and I need to get it out, there's no way I could even reach the motor socket to plug the flex shaft in, no matter how long a shaft I had.

My old rig had a hand crank that went through a hole in the bottom of the opposite sidewall. At least that worked. This setup, it looks like nobody even gave it any thought, much less user-tested it.

And, of course, you don't dare use the seats or dinette while the slide is stuck in, or you risk breaking the slide floor.

Tags
slide, slide out