Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2022, 08:00 PM   #1
CptMac

New from Texas.

Hello! I purchased my little Keystone Cougar 22MLS last April but hadn’t done anything with it but store it for any number of reasons, but now we’re off and running. Looking to move into it full time and I’m currently working out all the bugs while still maintaining my residence. I’ve got her parked in a nice little RV park so I can live in it and see how it goes while I add accessories and composting toilet. It’s interesting to find out just how much I don’t know even after a LOT of reading and research.

My tow vehicle is currently a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon pickup and so far it has been entirely adequate for towing this trailer. Here’s hoping it will continue to be.

I’m retired and looking forward to traveling some more and possibly using the trailer to live in if I go work more seasons at Yellowstone National Park. I worked there for 4 seasons after I retired (2 summers & 2 winters) but lived in the employee dorms.

Looking forward to all the information and experience that can be shared!

Mac
CptMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:09 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your big change, lot’s of good information and loads of great people here.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:31 PM   #3
jasin1

Welcome to the forum!

I looked at gladiators with my daughter and was surprised at the really low payload capacity. Little over 1000 lbs if I recall..probably lowest on the rubicon..

Some guys on here that really understand weight distribution hitches and sway control for travel trailers..Might want to get with them on your setup…it can only help

Congratulations on retiring
Old 01-04-2022, 04:47 AM   #4
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:29 AM   #5
gearhead

Welcome to the forum.
Lots of good folks with good info.
...from just down the road in Liberty.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptMac View Post
Hello! I purchased my little Keystone Cougar 22MLS last April but hadn’t done anything with it but store it for any number of reasons, but now we’re off and running. Looking to move into it full time and I’m currently working out all the bugs while still maintaining my residence. I’ve got her parked in a nice little RV park so I can live in it and see how it goes while I add accessories and composting toilet. It’s interesting to find out just how much I don’t know even after a LOT of reading and research.

My tow vehicle is currently a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon pickup and so far it has been entirely adequate for towing this trailer. Here’s hoping it will continue to be.

I’m retired and looking forward to traveling some more and possibly using the trailer to live in if I go work more seasons at Yellowstone National Park. I worked there for 4 seasons after I retired (2 summers & 2 winters) but lived in the employee dorms.

Looking forward to all the information and experience that can be shared!

Mac
May want to check out the weights posted on the driver's door? Post a picture of all those numbers, there's several here that can help cipher them.
My Jeep Wrangler Sahara only had a 800lb payload, likely your Rubicon Gladiator isn't much more. Jeeps are built for a specific type of driving, on/off road, unfortunately towing or hauling heavy loads wasn't among the list of design features.
The rv you've chosen is 26' long & has a GVWR of 7200lbs, if full timing you'll use every bit of that, with tongue weight over 900lbs + about 100lbs for the mandatory WDH + the weight of everyone/everything in/on your Gladiator that wasn't on it when it left the factory. Will it pull it? ABSOLUTELY! Can it safely "carry" that much load? MOST LIKELY NOT!
I would suggest that you crunch the numbers closely & also once loaded as normal head to the nearest CAT scales & weigh the Gladiator, the rv & the pair hooked up, I think you'll be surprised.
Another bit of advice from someone that fulltimed for 10+ years! That "little 22MLS" is going to get VERY small VERY quickly if there's 2 adults living in it! If you have a medium to large pet it will be even quicker.
Not trying to rain on your parade just passing on honest advice from someone that's BTDT!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:59 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

I am curious about why the composting toilet... welcome to the forum. Put together a signature by clicking on the UserCP tab at the top left of each page and save it. Put your camper year, make and model and the same for your tow vehicle. Anyway, howdy from the TX Hill Country!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:50 AM   #8
Gary R.

Hello and welcome to the forum, Mac! Nice to have you along.

Have fun and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:57 PM   #9
BubbaShoots

Howdy fellow Texan! I have a Cougar 25RDS and love it. I think Cougar is a great product.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:36 AM   #10
notanlines

I also am curious as to why the composting toilet. Related to working in Yellowstone Park?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:46 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

OP ain't been back since the initial post. We may never know the secret of the composting toilet.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote