Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #41
erm626

Is there a proper sequence for powering up your RV ? I would think the Breaker at the source would be the last things that is energized. That is what my New Surge protector is telling me. No possible arcing by using the Pedestal breaker as a switch.
erm626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #42
Mamarino

I agree. Turn off main breaker in RV or the shore power when connecting. I also removed the connection to the trailer and found screws loosened at the RV connector.
Mamarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #43
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm626 View Post
Is there a proper sequence for powering up your RV ? I would think the Breaker at the source would be the last things that is energized. That is what my New Surge protector is telling me. No possible arcing by using the Pedestal breaker as a switch.
It depends on the trailer (which you haven't shared) but here are a few "universal" practices that I use:

ALWAYS start with the pedestal breaker off before plugging in.
ALWAYS have the air conditioner (or furnace in colder weather) turned off. ALWAYS have the water heater turned off.
ALWAYS have anything plugged into outlets turned off or unplugged.
I turn these things off when we break camp so they are in an off state when we arrive.

When I plug in (30 amp unit) the converter will energize and the gas/electric fridge will switch over to electric after the EMS allows electricity to pass. If it's summertime and hot then the DW turns the t'stat to start the air conditioner. If it's really hot and humid I'll set the fridge on gas manually to allow the a/c the max voltage and amperage available for the initial cool down.

After I connect water and purge any air out I'll typically turn the water on gas and after the initial warm up turn it on the electric and turn off the gas. If it's really hot and humid I'll keep it on gas only for some time longer. After the water is connected I typically start the outdoor fridge if we travel with things in the fridge. If not, I'll wait a bit and start it later when we move some things out to it like drinks, condiments and meats that we'll use outside as we cook outside exclusively if it's not raining.

That's my start up procedure. With 50 amp service this would be altered. What you do not want to do is to have EVERYTHING on when you flip that breaker. The inrush of electricity with a large amperage load on it is not a good practice. It's a good practice in your home to do the same if the electricity drops out, say someone stops their car with a utility pole or a storm disrupts service. It's a good idea to turn off the a/c unit and stove/oven if they are electric as well as other large amperage loads like dehumidifiers, washing machines. air compressor, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #44
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonders View Post
Back to the other observation brought up about plugging in with breaker turned on. So do I plug in EMS to pedestal, turn on breaker to check that everything is working properly, then turn the breaker back off. Once breaker is off, plug in shore power to EMS and then turn breaker back on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Plug your EMS into the pedestal power, plug your shore power cord into the EMS and then turn the 30A breaker on. It takes a Progressive EMS a couple minutes with the power flowing to allow power through as it checks the electrical connection for a number of faults.
One feature of an EMS that doesn't get a lot of mention is that it can reduce arcing problems caused by plugging into a live socket. I occasionally encounter campgrounds where the breakers for the pedestals aren't at the pedestals.

The EMS has the delay feature you mentioned, during which it does nothing but check how suitable the power source is. (In my case, that delay is set very long, to protect our model A/C, which doesn't have its own compressor protection delay.) The testing process requires very little current, and your trailer cannot demand any power until after the delay period is expired. This current demand during the delay period is so low that plugging your trailer into a live socket with a delayed EMS is no more worrisome than doing the same with an appliance inside your home.

Of course, a completely different syndrome that causes the same damage is a loose blade contact inside the socket, which is independent of plugging, unplugging, or anything you can do with a breaker, and requires replacing the socket.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #45
erm626

It is unfortunately when we purchase a RV from a Dealer. They never mention the proper way of turning on the power to the RV. I realize they are in the business of selling RV's. But in the walk through, a moment of explanation in How to power up your RV would go a long way. Even the suggestion of purchasing a surge protector (which they would have in stock and would be more than happy to sell to you) Would prevent the problems being discuses in this RV Forum.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #46
LHaven

Again, a "surge" has some benefits, but can't protect your RV like a real EMS can.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #47
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm626 View Post
It is unfortunately when we purchase a RV from a Dealer. They never mention the proper way of turning on the power to the RV. I realize they are in the business of selling RV's. But in the walk through, a moment of explanation in How to power up your RV would go a long way. Even the suggestion of purchasing a surge protector (which they would have in stock and would be more than happy to sell to you) Would prevent the problems being discuses in this RV Forum.
Unfortunately there are many (arguably most) sales people that have either never spent a night in a camper, or have but still don't have a clue. They likely don’t know what an EMS is and could care less if they don’t make a commission from the sale of it. You can tell the "big ticket money makers" with high commissions on any sale, not just RVs. It's the high pressure items like "lifetime or extended warranties", exterior finish protectant and intrrior fabric protection.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:41 PM   #48
erm626

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Unfortunately there are many (arguably most) sales people that have either never spent a night in a camper, or have but still don't have a clue. They likely don’t know what an EMS is and could care less if they don’t make a commission from the sale of it. You can tell the "big ticket money makers" with high commissions on any sale, not just RVs. It's the high pressure items like "lifetime or extended warranties", exterior finish protectant and intrrior fabric protection.
Sad but True ! A RV Salesman is a Salesman, who is making a living from selling you those products you regret purchasing later !
Old 11-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #49
LHaven

Sometimes, they even give you specific misinformation.

When I was shopping for my current TV, I had the salesman take me out to each potential unit so I could inspect the orange stickers. I explained that I needed to be sure the truck had the capacity I needed to handle the hitch weight, 13% of the trailer's gross plus a margin. The dealer corrected me and told me the term I wanted was "pin weight." I told him pin weight was for 5th wheels and was 20% plus a margin, but I was shopping for a "bumper-tow." I think that's when he figured out I knew what I wanted, and stopped showing me Jimmies.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:50 PM   #50
Sonders

Well got my Smart Plug to replace shore power cord and just my luck it is a wee but smaller than the original opening. So now I’ve got to figure something else out. Hmm wonder how the heck I can rotate pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0753681F-0007-4749-AD43-D7CACA6626D2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	37174  
Sonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #51
wiredgeorge

I think if you are taking pics in portrait mode you will be OK but in landscape they post 90 degrees rotated. It might be the other way around. You can always take your image and then rotate it via your camera software or I use MS Paint to rotate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	smartplug.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	37175  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:15 AM   #52
LHaven

Here you go. Go wild.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:31 AM   #53
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Here you go. Go wild.
Wow!
For those kinds of prices I'd go to the hardware store to pickup a piece of heavy gauge aluminum & make my own custom escutcheon, seal behind both with some butyl tape & call it a day.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #54
Sonders

I think I’m going to get an exterior 5” round weather proof cover with gasket that will cover the same area as the old housing and cut out the center of it for the new Smart Plug to be installed into. That way I can drill holes in the cover in same locations as the old housing and reuse the same holes in side wall of camper. Hopefully it works out how I’m thinking in my head. Wish me luck.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #55
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Wow!
For those kinds of prices I'd go to the hardware store to pickup a piece of heavy gauge aluminum & make my own custom escutcheon, seal behind both with some butyl tape & call it a day.
If you've got the metal shop to do it yourself, that's always the best option. But some folks require retail availability.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:37 PM   #56
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
If you've got the metal shop to do it yourself, that's always the best option. But some folks require retail availability.
No metal shop required! A drill, hacksaw & a file should be all that's needed as far as tools.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #57
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
No metal shop required! A drill, hacksaw & a file should be all that's needed as far as tools.
i made one out of 1/8" aluminum plate using a 3/8" drill bit and a metal blade on a jig saw. I "cheated" and marked it all out with a sharpie and a ruler, but other than that, just common tools.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #58
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
i made one out of 1/8" aluminum plate using a 3/8" drill bit and a metal blade on a jig saw. I "cheated" and marked it all out with a sharpie and a ruler, but other than that, just common tools.

I went this route. Found a piece of scrap aluminum in the garage and used the old shore power housing with flapper door as a template to mark the diameter of new circle. Once cut out I drilled holes in the same places as the old housing as to not have to drill any new holes into the side of my camper. I still have to cut out smaller center portion of the aluminum piece for the new plug to fit in and then going to prime and paint it black before installing.

Also got a new male end ordered to install on other end of my shore power cord that will be created from what I cut off the existing cord. Went with a Marinco brand one as recommended earlier in this thread.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #59
Sonders

new plug installation complete. Almost looks factory. Well, still can't get the darn pictures rotated. I rotated them and saved them on my computer, but when upload to this site they flip sideways. Oh well you guys get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	finished camper plug.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	37308   Click image for larger version

Name:	new camper plug.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	37309  
Old 11-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #60
LHaven

Forum prefers vertical photos horizontal, though not always (and I can't figure out how it decides). I just use the attached horizontal "picture frame" for my vertical photos and paste them inside it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	horizontal-helper-f.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	37311  

Tags
power