Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #21
Berdan

Correct. Generally a surge suppressor (not an EMS but also a component of an EMS) protects against a high line voltage not a current surge. Typically these are Metal Oxide Varisters (MOV)s that conduct to drop the voltage to a safe level for a short voltage transient. If the high voltage persists for too long of time the current draw due to the MOVs conduction will trip a breaker or blow an inline fuse.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
2020 Silverado LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
Berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:05 PM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Notice the burned area is on the same pin? The wiring to that pin is loose and arcing. This is a fire waiting to happen. Replace the male connector before using it again. You can remove and replace the connector or replace the entire cord. The female connectors ar probably ok but I'd replace those too just to be sure they are not compromised.
The female connection is the worst of the two, it has been heated and lost is ability to make a tight connection.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:12 AM   #23
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The female connection is the worst of the two, it has been heated and lost is ability to make a tight connection.

I agree. That extension cord will no longer be used nor will the surge protector, so that eliminates both the female ends.

Back to the other observation brought up about plugging in with breaker turned on. So do I plug in EMS to pedestal, turn on breaker to check that everything is working properly, then turn the breaker back off. Once breaker is off, plug in shore power to EMS and then turn breaker back on?
Sonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

Plug your EMS into the pedestal power, plug your shore power cord into the EMS and then turn the 30A breaker on. It takes a Progressive EMS a couple minutes with the power flowing to allow power through as it checks the electrical connection for a number of faults.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonders View Post
I agree. That extension cord will no longer be used nor will the surge protector, so that eliminates both the female ends.

Back to the other observation brought up about plugging in with breaker turned on. So do I plug in EMS to pedestal, turn on breaker to check that everything is working properly, then turn the breaker back off. Once breaker is off, plug in shore power to EMS and then turn breaker back on?
No need for the last steps. If you use a true EMS it will have a built in delay before it allows powerbthru it. The delay is there to prevent the rapid on-off cycling of power (lights flickering at home) furing a wind or thunderstorm. This protects air conditioner compresdors from damage by giving the pressure in the refridgerant lines time yo equalize.

So turn the breaker off plug in the EMS (if it's not hardwired) plug in the camper then turn on the breaker. If there's an issue with the power from the pedestal then the EJS should prevent power from passing thru it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:38 AM   #26
Sonders

Perfect, thanks guys for clarifying that. One simple step completely looked at wrong all this time; talk about embarrassing. Some locals have been telling me to get a Watch Dog EMS, but looking at the prices I’m wondering if they are true EMS units or more along the lines of a fancy surge protector. Will have to read up some more on those as well before making any sort of decision.
The more I think about it the more a hard wired EMS sounds like a better option. The cavity where the shoreline cable coils up inside of the camper will be a perfect spot once I convert to the Smart Plug. I’ll have to do a little more research on that.
Thanks again for all the great input guys.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:58 AM   #27
Canonman

Sounds like you're getting this all cleared up. I agree completely with the process of everything connected before turning on the breaker. I do connect our simple surge protector and verify power before I connect the trailer. I've learned not to trust any power source when we are traveling and have found some that did generate a fault when tested even by a simple surge protector.
I do think that the original problem is with the male connector on the OE shore cable. It showed signs of arcing from the beginning and likely caused the burn marks on the other connections so glad you are replacing that cable.
I also have the cavity where the shoreline cable coils up inside of the camper. I've been trying to come up with some way to upgrade that configuration since the cable often gets knotted behind the mouse hole and I have to remove the cover inside the trailer to clear it. So, thanks for the idea for dealing with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL5778.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	37017  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:28 AM   #28
Sonders

Ha, Canonman my cord has a knot in it currently as well. Luckily I’ve had enough cord pull out at all campsites we’ve been to so far that I’ve not messed with trying to get the knot out. I guess that’ll be addressed next week when I cut the cord off to change out the plug.
Glad my thoughts on what to do with that cavity gave you an idea as well.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #29
wiredgeorge

I replaced the cord in my camper but it is wired to the converter box (breaker side). I could easily install one of the inside EMS but chose the one that hangs from the pole as we have been known to buy a different camper now and again. I do like the one we have now as it fits our needs for our weekend warrior status as campers but if we change, don't have to dig out a hard wired EMS. I can see why folks hard wire them.

Keep in mind when shopping for a Hughes Transformers Watchdog EMS that they have a bunch of products with the Watchdog name and some are not much different than your Camco surge protector and thus fairly useless in my electrical problems. They calll them all surge protectors but some are actually EMS products:
https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...ge-protectors/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:52 AM   #30
Sonders

Right George, I noticed that while doing a quick search the other night. Will have to do a deep dive into researching them over the winter before making a decision.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:46 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Perfect, thanks guys for clarifying that. One simple step completely looked at wrong all this time; talk about embarrassing. Some locals have been telling me to get a Watch Dog EMS, but looking at the prices I’m wondering if they are true EMS units or more along the lines of a fancy surge protector. Will have to read up some more on those as well before making any sort of decision.
The more I think about it the more a hard wired EMS sounds like a better option. The cavity where the shoreline cable coils up inside of the camper will be a perfect spot once I convert to the Smart Plug. I’ll have to do a little more research on that.
There have been mahy discussions on hard wired vs plugbin EMS. The most important thing is you have one. My reason for going hard wired, first was I bought mine at Camping World years ago on a clearence shelf at 80% discount. With that said, I would have bought a hardwired unit irregardless of the deal.

I'm comfortable working with electrical circuits and wireing. I have no issue with installing it or removing it if I sell the camper. It made sense to me to use the space previously reserved for the shore cable so I used it for the EMS and a Hughes Autoformer. Personally I'd prefer to have these devices inside out of the elements and UV rays from the sun. I also prefer to have the fewest number of plugs possible in a circuit. The more plugs the greater the chance for failure, especially when they are exposed to moisture, wear from being plugged in and removed, and the possible abuses frm people tripping over the cord or steppig on the connections.

Another contributing factor to damaged 30 amp plugs are poorly maintained park pedestals. The 30 amp recepticals are the oldest and often most used recepticals. They also have smaller blades (prongs) and 3 vs 4 that a 50 amp has. Therefore, sooner or later you will have to replace the 30 amp plug. I'd rather do that at the end of my shore cable. Propobents of plugbin EMS will tout using a "dog bone" as a "sacrificial " plug between EMS and pedestal (also to reduce strain from the EMS hanging from the plug) but I go back to reducing the portable connections not adding 2 more.

So while the portable EMS units have some advantages they are outweighed by the disadvantages for my application.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #32
Sonders

Very well said flybouy. One of my concerns since we started camping has been the fact that the surge protector hung out in the weather with shore power cord plugged in. Some of the portable EMS units I currently have saved have a cover for the plug which I definitely like, but at the end of the day I’m like you in that I’d feel a lot better with it wired up inside the camper out of the weather. We like our camper and plan to keep it for awhile so issue of having to remove hardwired unit if selling isn’t a concern for the see-able future.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There have been mahy discussions on hard wired vs plugbin EMS. The most important thing is you have one. My reason for going hard wired, first was I bought mine at Camping World years ago on a clearence shelf at 80% discount. With that said, I would have bought a hardwired unit irregardless of the deal.

I'm comfortable working with electrical circuits and wireing. I have no issue with installing it or removing it if I sell the camper. It made sense to me to use the space previously reserved for the shore cable so I used it for the EMS and a Hughes Autoformer. Personally I'd prefer to have these devices inside out of the elements and UV rays from the sun. I also prefer to have the fewest number of plugs possible in a circuit. The more plugs the greater the chance for failure, especially when they are exposed to moisture, wear from being plugged in and removed, and the possible abuses frm people tripping over the cord or steppig on the connections.

Another contributing factor to damaged 30 amp plugs are poorly maintained park pedestals. The 30 amp recepticals are the oldest and often most used recepticals. They also have smaller blades (prongs) and 3 vs 4 that a 50 amp has. Therefore, sooner or later you will have to replace the 30 amp plug. I'd rather do that at the end of my shore cable. Propobents of plugbin EMS will tout using a "dog bone" as a "sacrificial " plug between EMS and pedestal (also to reduce strain from the EMS hanging from the plug) but I go back to reducing the portable connections not adding 2 more.

So while the portable EMS units have some advantages they are outweighed by the disadvantages for my application.

^^^OR peds where campers mess with them.

When coming in this trip the road was blocked by a guy taking his "RV" out for its maiden voyage. The "RV" is a mini (tiny) house built like a house, oriented like a house and wired to be wired into a regular meter/breaker box. After he got the thing maneuvered in (front door facing into all the utilities) I backed in and set up. Looked over and HE HAD THE POWER PED COVER OFF with wires pulled out! The park owner is a friend and all the utilities are new so I went over and asked him what was going on. Well, there wasn't anything in the power ped he could hook up to so he was going to "improvise"!! In a brand new pedestal! Told him he needed to restore everything and put the ped back together then go to a hardware store (or RV store) and get what was required to plug into one of the RV plugs.

He had messed something up because when it was back together the outlets wouldn't work per the owner (she came down while he was trying to put it back together and I left). Now he's over there (across the road) with the 1st ped he messed with out of service and his tiny house taking up various utilities from the next 2 spaces (total of 3 spaces)! Rather unbelievable. Told the owner they should be sent packing but she has a big heart......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #34
rhagfo

The reason so many park pedestals have bad connections is the unbelievable number of people that leave them on when disconnecting. When we host in camping loops, when cleaning sites we always turn the breakers off, so hopefully saving them arcing when plugging in.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:32 AM   #35
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The reason so many park pedestals have bad connections is the unbelievable number of people that leave them on when disconnecting. When we host in camping loops, when cleaning sites we always turn the breakers off, so hopefully saving them arcing when plugging in.
I may not have known to turn breaker off before plugging in all this time but I do have the habit of turning off the breakers when We pack up to leave campsites. So I at least have that 1 good habit going for me haha.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #36
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Watch Dog sells both types. Both protect for surge but the EMS will also turn off the current if it encounters an anomaly. I have one of the surge type for sale in the classifieds but recommend you get a true EMS.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #37
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Watch Dog sells both types. Both protect for surge but the EMS will also turn off the current if it encounters an anomaly. I have one of the surge type for sale in the classifieds but recommend you get a true EMS.
From the little research I’ve done on that particular brand so far it looks like they offer what they call EPO instead of EMS on their higher end products, but sounds like the same thing. I’m in no rush to purchase anything yet; have all winter.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

I know folks use the Watch Dogs but I just don't like that big, bright bulldog face at night.

Came back from eating out the other night and as I pulled down our row there was a glow shining between 2 trailers. Wondered what kind of "night light" that was so kept an eye out. It was a Watch Dog at a ped with his big, white light face just glowing. I use a ped connected EMS but I just don't want that bright invitation light shining at night for some scurrilous miscreant....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:24 PM   #39
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I know folks use the Watch Dogs but I just don't like that big, bright bulldog face at night.

Came back from eating out the other night and as I pulled down our row there was a glow shining between 2 trailers. Wondered what kind of "night light" that was so kept an eye out. It was a Watch Dog at a ped with his big, white light face just glowing. I use a ped connected EMS but I just don't want that bright invitation light shining at night for some scurrilous miscreant....
Well we went with a hard wired unit, secure and safe and always working.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #40
bbells

Check the recall notices. There was one for the power connector on some of the trailers.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power