Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
Paul2

Inaccurate shunt readings 2022 passport with 400i solar

I was seeing low consumption readings on the Victron shunt app. I had put one of these on a previous trailer so had some experience.
I looked at the battery connections and found the 1/0 ground cable running from battery to shunt, then from shunt other side to common frame ground, inverter, and to Giggy box for routing to the rest of the trailer. That all looked fine but then there was a second ground with about 4 guage from the battery to the common ground in the Giggy box. This wire bypasses the shunt so all the readings are off.
I went back to the dealer and looked around on the lot at other passports with and without the solar option. They all had the wire from the battery to the Giggy box ground. It appears that wire is standard on the non solar ones but when the solar, shunt, and inverter are added it looks like it should be removed.
To fix this on mine, I merely moved the battery end of that wire to the frame ground so that all loads go through the shunt.
Has anyone else discovered this with the built in solar package or is it maybe a dealer thing?
Paul2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:19 AM   #2
jxnbbl

would it be possible to post a few pictures so others know exactly what to look for ?
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:12 AM   #3
Paul2

I didn't take any before working on it. There should only be 1 negative wire exiting the battery box(es) to the input of the shunt that is in the box on the front of the trailer driver side. If you have the shunt and there is another black wire from a battery to the Giggy box negative bypassing the shunt it would seem to be an issue.
I was hoping someone from Keystone may monitor these pages and confirm this is a problem.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:24 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
I didn't take any before working on it. There should only be 1 negative wire exiting the battery box(es) to the input of the shunt that is in the box on the front of the trailer driver side. If you have the shunt and there is another black wire from a battery to the Giggy box negative bypassing the shunt it would seem to be an issue.
I was hoping someone from Keystone may monitor these pages and confirm this is a problem.
Paul no one from Keystone RV Company monitors this forum. This is clearly stated at the bottom of every page next to the big RED arrow.

As for the second ground, I would guess that was a dealer install. If there are multiple paths to ground then the shunt cannot read all of the energy returning to the battery.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:29 AM   #5
Paul2

Except this extra unconnected ground was present on all the new trailers sitting on the lot with the solar option and none of them had any batteries installed yet by the dealer.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:45 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Except this extra unconnected ground was present on all the new trailers sitting on the lot with the solar option and none of them had any batteries installed yet by the dealer.
I guess I misread the OP. If this is the case, then why did you ask if was "a dealer thing"? Did you ask the dealer if they installed it?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #7
Paul2

I pointed it out to the dealer on the lot and he said the solar from the factory was a new thing and they didn't know a whole lot about it.
I was just letting people know what I found and hoping to see in comments if they are all like this or just a few.

Tags
passport, solar