Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2021, 03:13 AM   #1
RickV

Curb jumped out and attacked jack

I wanted to get some advice on this. Yesterday morning as soon as we got on the road my low DEF Fluid warning came on and we had about 275 miles to ride so I decided to stop at a Walmart on the way to the interstate to pick up a jug of DEF, as I was turning off the road wide into the parking lot someone coming out wouldn't stop so I cut the turn sharper and the rear 5er tire went up and partially over the curb and the rear jack behind it slightly caught the curb. I know it can be straightened out but, I am in no position to do it now. Do you think I'll mess it up if I use it. We are at a over nighter now and I left the TV hooked up and just lowered the front jacks as the site is level. I had the DW run the jack down a little and it isn't binding at all, it appears that the bend is on the mounting bracket. I only have to setup one more time and it will be for a month before we head home in November. I use wood guard rail blocks under the jacks so the jacks don't extend much unless the site is really un-level.
No excuse but, I knew it was just a matter of time before something like this happened because the jacks are so low. They are around 8" off the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211002_6592.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	36169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211002_6857.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	36170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211002_7191.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	36171  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:29 AM   #2
jasin1

I wonder if your very very careful if you could lower just your front jacks and move your TV around to the side and use a ratchet strap to your truck axle and ratchet slowly to straighten it out..hopefully won’t break a weld.

Don’t ratchet on an extended jack ..maybe in a truck stop parking lot. (not a Walmart lol)

Id give it a try but that’s me..or if there are any trees at your next site close enough to ratchet off of
Old 10-03-2021, 04:44 AM   #3
ChuckS

Looking at pic tells ,e yo7 have the Equalizsr System hyd levelers ..ONE BOLT holds foot pad on..

I would use as is until you can remove the bolt and straighten the pad or order a new one.

Also you can raise the height of those leveler legs to give yourself more ground clearance.

I would NOT try to straighten that foot pad with it mounted tomt( hyd piston because you can damage the internal seals and have a bigger issue then what you currently have

https://eqsystems.us/product-categor...rts/foot-pads/

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:58 AM   #4
jasin1

I agree about the footpad…it looks like the bracket that holds the entire assembly is bent inwards..if the jack comes down it will be on an angle…I didn’t think it would damage anything to carefully ratchet the entire assembly with the jack in the stowed upright position to straighten it back out so it is close to plumb.
Put the strap inside of the hyd fitting so you don’t put any pressure on it..I’d leave the bent footpad alone until you can replace.
But I could be wrong

Or unbolt the entire assembly and straighten the bracket with a pipe wrench or big crescent..then bolt back on
Old 10-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Here's some posibilities:

First attempt: Remove the foot pad from the post and then hammer it flat again. (This is what I'd try to do first).

I can't tell from the photo if the actual shaft is bent. It does not look bent to me, but if the frame it is attached to is bent that's a different matter.

Second attempt: Assuming you have now tried to beat out the foot pad and made it flat, and it doesn't work .... you can always order a new pad from your local dealership. Mine are the electric Level-up system. My pads are attached with a removal pin. On one of our very early trips, I lost one of the rear pads when it drug. I didn't realize it was gone until 200 miles later. Long story short, I ordered a new pad from my local dealership and $50 later and 1 week later, I had a new pad. yes, they cost $50.

Third: You can raise the entire jack assembly. Simply unbolt the entire jack and raise it has high as it can go. Rebolt and all is well. I raised my rears some time ago. They only thing I do different is, I put more blocks under the jacks so they don't have to extend so far and stroke out. I know where that length is and know how much blocking needs to be under the raised jacks now,.... especially since they were raised about 4 inches.

FYI, after raising the jacks, I've never drug again. I STILL remove all the jack pads on all 6 jacks, even if just moving the trailer a mile. I don't want to run any chance of loosing another jack pad and another $50 hit to replace it. So, I ALWAYS remove all 6 pads when moving the trailer beyond my own driveway.

Further edit:
Oh, I went back and looked at your photos a bit better. I see the bend. The jacks is bent inward. The jack itself is still straight, so it looks like it's bent at the connection on the frame, or the fame itself is bent.

With that said, I'd not attempt to straighten the bend ON the trailer. I'd remove the jack and take it to a machine shop and have them do it right. Or .... just purchase a new jack.

I don't think the inward bend will affect anything though.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:25 AM   #6
Javi

Because of the Chinese virus I've been unable to get a replacement for my Lippert Level Up jack that was bent in both a similar manner and condition.

I've continued to use it since last December with no adverse effects.

I made the decision to continue using it because I will have to replace it anyway so about the worst that can happen is it stops working and I have to replace it.

I have a replacement on order from Lippert but no delivery date yet.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I would just replace the foot pad if you can get one. If not, pull it and hammer it as straight as possible and use it until you get home. It does appear in pic 2 (with the foot bad bent) that the mounting plate for the jack is bent at the bottom of the frame brace and I think that mounting bracket is built onto the jack. If it were me I would replace the jack but you might be able to straighten it as was mentioned in a prior post but then damaging the internals would be a consideration.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

It looks to me, from your photo, that the frame "jack mount plate" is not bent and that the actual jack mount is what's bent. If that's the case, you can remove the bottom 2 rows of attaching bolts, loosen the top attaching bolts and install two washers between the jack plate and the jack on the center bolts and 4 washers on the lower bolts. Trial and error when tightening them will tell you if you need more or fewer washers on the bolts to get the jack to orient correctly.

I wouldn't "hammer or bend" the jack or it's mount and certainly not hammer or bend the trailer frame or the jack mounting plate on the frame.....

In other words, it looks bent, shim it and get it "unbent" and it'll get you though this trip. Then, when you get home, you can make a decision on what it costs to repair/replace it and depending on the cost, then decide if it's an "insurance claim or a DIY project"....

Meantime, "washers is yo' friend"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
firestation12

My takeaway from this incident: Stop and ask the other driver to move his car and allow the truck/camper to safely proceed. Too many campers as well as structures have been damaged from failure to follow this advice. The OP’s original path of movement was chosen to avoid unwanted contact with the curb (in other instances other objects) Don’t be in a hurry move out of the way until determining it is safe to do so. This is especially true at night. In many instances, the law gives right of way to different classes of transportation. A sailing vessel has right of way over powered ones, a hot air balloons over powered aircraft, zones defined as yield to ….. While a parking lot may not have posted rights of way other than stop signs or pedestrian crossings, Dont hesitate to ask for a courteous right of way. Experience has taught me that impromptu movements WHEN THERE WAS TIME ALLOWED TO MAKE A DIFFERENT CHOICE, should be avoided. Extreme caution cannot be over emphasized when maneuvering in confined areas. My 2 cents
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It looks to me, from your photo, that the frame "jack mount plate" is not bent and that the actual jack mount is what's bent. If that's the case, you can remove the bottom 2 rows of attaching bolts, loosen the top attaching bolts and install two washers between the jack plate and the jack on the center bolts and 4 washers on the lower bolts. Trial and error when tightening them will tell you if you need more or fewer washers on the bolts to get the jack to orient correctly.

I wouldn't "hammer or bend" the jack or it's mount and certainly not hammer or bend the trailer frame or the jack mounting plate on the frame.....

In other words, it looks bent, shim it and get it "unbent" and it'll get you though this trip. Then, when you get home, you can make a decision on what it costs to repair/replace it and depending on the cost, then decide if it's an "insurance claim or a DIY project"....

Meantime, "washers is yo' friend"....
I like the washer idea better then my idea…good call
Old 10-05-2021, 02:44 AM   #11
RickV

Thanks for all the replies, we got to the final stop before heading home at the end of the month. There were a lot of good suggestions. I went ahead and just setup like normal using the Trailer Legs and the Guard Rail Blocks, site was level so the jacks only extended a few inches. Should be fine and I will decide how to correct my screw up when I get home.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
My takeaway from this incident: Stop and ask the other driver to move his car and allow the truck/camper to safely proceed. Too many campers as well as structures have been damaged from failure to follow this advice. The OP’s original path of movement was chosen to avoid unwanted contact with the curb (in other instances other objects) Don’t be in a hurry move out of the way until determining it is safe to do so. This is especially true at night. In many instances, the law gives right of way to different classes of transportation. A sailing vessel has right of way over powered ones, a hot air balloons over powered aircraft, zones defined as yield to ….. While a parking lot may not have posted rights of way other than stop signs or pedestrian crossings, Dont hesitate to ask for a courteous right of way. Experience has taught me that impromptu movements WHEN THERE WAS TIME ALLOWED TO MAKE A DIFFERENT CHOICE, should be avoided. Extreme caution cannot be over emphasized when maneuvering in confined areas. My 2 cents
OP was moving, vehicle in front of him was also moving and would not yield- OP made a defensive move to avoid a mishap of another vehicle and the curb took the hit. OP may have been crossing traffic lanes pulling into the parking lot and unable to stop. Better than hitting the other car- IMO.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

I was never allowed to invoke the different class of motor vehicle rule as a traffic cop regarding to the right of way. Unless we talking emergency vehicles.
I did need to explain several times slow merging traffic must yield to the flow of traffic and a few sailors claimed the slow movers had the right of way. Then was told that's how sail boats vs motor boats work. Yea, they do, but the roads are not a waterway. I also did write tickets on the water for 9 years.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I was never allowed to invoke the different class of motor vehicle rule as a traffic cop regarding to the right of way. Unless we talking emergency vehicles.
I did need to explain several times slow merging traffic must yield to the flow of traffic and a few sailors claimed the slow movers had the right of way. Then was told that's how sail boats vs motor boats work. Yea, they do, but the roads are not a waterway. I also did write tickets on the water for 9 years.
I’ve owned a few sailboats …but I consider myself a powerboater…sailboaters have a lot in common with road bicycle riders in spandex unitards..lol they will quote you all the rules of the road while they blow through a red light but god forbid if you break a rule in front of them.
Sailboaters have the right of way as long as they are under sail but a few will get around this by running their engine with the mainsail raised but absolutely no wind to speak of.
When my son and I are trolling in the bay with lines out and planer boards in our Henriques with commercial numbers on it .the whole nine yards… sailboaters will hold course to the bitter end and refuse to yield the right of way..to the point of causing a slow motion accident…it’s infuriating..they could easily tack and come about behind us with out too much of an issue but ..nope..they think they always have the right of way.

Worked on commercial crabbing boats when I was in high school and my future father-in-law almost thru a heavy open end wrench thru a sailboaters hull because he would not stop his slow stubborn approach..lol

Sorry for the detour but that struck a nerve
Old 10-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

If a sailboater pulls the "right of way" card in a shipping lane it usually ends up with the Coast Guard conducting a search for the sailboater. It's not about speed but rather maneuverability.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:33 PM   #16
Ken / Claudia

We all used to stop the bicycles blowing stop signs in front of marked police cars when possible. They learned not to carry ID and would normally give false name DOB and address. After awhile without ID it was just a warning.
Bicyclists complained enough year after year and got the state to change the law and allow them to blow stop signs/red lights as long as other traffic was not effected. Most did not care about the 2nd half of the law and just blow the signs and red lights. Last time I had stats there was a bicyclist hit about every week in the Portland area. The cry goes out for more laws against motor vehicles. About 70 to 80% of the cases its the bicycles fault for the crash.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:00 AM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If a sailboater pulls the "right of way" card in a shipping lane it usually ends up with the Coast Guard conducting a search for the sailboater. It's not about speed but rather maneuverability.
Yup lol.. a sailboat usually has the right of way except with commercial vessels..(ships) or commercial fishing boats with gear out…son has his charter boat sticker and numbers on the boat ..he will have 12+ rods out with outriggers or planing boards..he got his captains license at a young age because he grew up running my boats..he doesn’t fish much now because his job takes him all over the world for months at a time on an actual ship
Old 10-11-2021, 06:08 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

This is dragging this further off course (groan here) but when I was boating I knew what the combi of mast head lights meant, how long the markers flashed etc. We were off of Poole`s Island heading south after a particularly nast thunderstorm. A guy in a 14' tri hull waved us down. I stopped and he asked me if this was the Deleware Bay. Looking inside his boat I could see five 6 gal outboard gas tanks and no compass on the dash or live jacket in sight. I asked him where his chart was so I could point out his current location. He reached down and handed me a placemat from a resturant that had "Lighthouses of the Chesapeake Bay" written across the top.

I pointed him to Rock Hall and told him he could buy a chart and compass there. He took off and my DW said "God be with him" and I said "God's been with him thus far". Anyway, THAT GUY has likely retired and is now towing a 38' camper with a Tundra and "doesn’t even know it's back there".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #19
jasin1

:lo
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This is dragging this further off course (groan here) but when I was boating I knew what the combi of mast head lights meant, how long the markers flashed etc. We were off of Poole`s Island heading south after a particularly nast thunderstorm. A guy in a 14' tri hull waved us down. I stopped and he asked me if this was the Deleware Bay. Looking inside his boat I could see five 6 gal outboard gas tanks and no compass on the dash or live jacket in sight. I asked him where his chart was so I could point out his current location. He reached down and handed me a placemat from a resturant that had "Lighthouses of the Chesapeake Bay" written across the top.

I pointed him to Rock Hall and told him he could buy a chart and compass there. He took off and my DW said "God be with him" and I said "God's been with him thus far". Anyway, THAT GUY has likely retired and is now towing a 38' camper with a Tundra and "doesn’t even know it's back there".
Old 10-11-2021, 12:58 PM   #20
notanlines

I remember being out on Delaware Bay years ago in my 14 foot tri-hull. I talked to a couple and asked directions and I think they prayed for me. And then, uh, never mind….
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote