Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2021, 06:34 AM   #1
Gkri

Short Circuit

2021 Passport SL with neutral to chassis short behind microwave. there is a "half" cabinet between refer and microwave. anyone know what is in the hidden back half? would like to cut into it to access the shorted wire.
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I think you're asking about the "half cabinet space" behind the refrigerator???

If you remove the microwave from the cabinet above the range, the "back half of the right wall of the microwave space is not accessible from inside the RV. That space is the "vent stack" for the refrigerator cooling chimney that goes from the lower refrigerator vent (outside trailer wall) to the refrigerator roof vent on the top of the trailer in that space.

This next part is a "guess": On the left side of the microwave cabinet, behind the TV, there may also be a "half cabinet" to provide space for the control panels/stereo/outside speaker wiring to get "from the entry door wall to the trailer wiring harness. Whether those wires go "up into the attic" or "over, behind the microwave and to the refrigerator vent space" is something you'll need to check.

At any rate, the "heat vent stack" for the refrigerator is a "sealed space that's outside the RV interior" cutting into that will require "extra good sealing" upon closing things up. There is a LPG flame in the refrigerator that produces carbon monoxide. If the "vent stack" is not properly sealed, you could get CO into the trailer through your cutout into the microwave cabinet and out the vents in the mounting plate. That could put your family's health at risk in a "perfect storm situation". Additionally, it will introduce "extra heat into the trailer interior" from the "vent stack" when the refrigerator is operating both on AC or LPG.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
Gkri

Short Circuit

John - thank you for the informed reply. Neither Keystone or the dealer could tell me what was in that space. guess I'll carefully cut a much bigger hole around the wire and try to get to the place where it has shorted to the chassis. I can't pull any if the Romex through the hole! This is the third wiring issue on a new Keystone Passport.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Greg,

If it's the space behind the refrigerator that you're trying to access. Go outside the trailer, remove the lower refrigerator vent, use a good flashlight and a mirror (not a tiny round inspection mirror, but one large enough to see well) and put the mirror at an angle between the open vent and the refrigerator. Shine the flashlight up toward the roof and you should be able to see the entire "topside structure and all the wiring" above the refrigerator.

If it were me, before cutting that space, I'd just remove the refrigerator and have complete access to the area behind it WITHOUT DESTROYING THE VENT WALLS.......

Remember, that your repair will be subject to flexing, vibration, twisting and water/humidity damage from the time you cut the vent wall until the time you sell the trailer.... It's best not to weaken the vent space if possible.

Remove the refrigerator and you can "crawl into the vent to do your repairs without losing any "vent integrity" caused by a saw.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
Gkri

Actually the half cabinet space is between the refrigerator and microwave. The refrigerator vents are behind the refer but then there is a cabinet with a partition half way back. the romex for the microwave receptacle comes up from a hole in the 1/4" shelf for the microwave but to the rear and right so I was hoping to make the hole larger as it is still in the microwave cavity but not holding it up. When we wiggle the wire get an intermittent short of the neutral to the chassis so it is rubbing metal somewhere below that hole.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:39 PM   #6
bobbecky

A 2021 rig should still be covered by a warranty. Is there a reason to not get the dealer involved in this to do the repair?
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:01 AM   #7
Gkri

Short Circuit

The dealer does not have good electrical technicians, I already had to repair one of their warranty jobs on a failed outlet. Plus I have worked in a technical field for 40+ years so it is a matter of stubborn pride, you know the "I can do it better myself" attitude that gets so many of us in trouble at one point or another! Last, as a newbie, I avoid any extra trips because I don't like backing up our 300-foot driveway and making a 90 into the parking spot...

I have an appointment at the end of the month but really hope to have it repaired before then.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:53 AM   #8
Gkri

Fixed it! Wire to the microwave outlet is permanently wedged/attached in the wall and shorted to chassis so just had to cut it . Installed new box and residential outlet for microwave. Ran new 12-gauge Romex next to 14-gauge wire for outlet above counter top which runs down the side of refer plenum. Cut other end of bad wire and joined together in a new junction in the plenum. Just need to add foam where pushed new wire through old foam and finished! All work is code compliant and cost was about $10. Bonus was not having to back up 300 foot driveway if took it to dealer!!!
thanks for listening,
Greg
Old 08-06-2021, 09:25 AM   #9
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
Fixed it! Wire to the microwave outlet is permanently wedged/attached in the wall and shorted to chassis so just had to cut it . Installed new box and residential outlet for microwave. Ran new 12-gauge Romex next to 14-gauge wire for outlet above counter top which runs down the side of refer plenum. Cut other end of bad wire and joined together in a new junction in the plenum. Just need to add foam where pushed new wire through old foam and finished! All work is code compliant and cost was about $10. Bonus was not having to back up 300 foot driveway if took it to dealer!!!
thanks for listening,
Greg
Great Job... good to hear you can avoid that trip to the dealer... Yeah, sometimes if you are capable... better to fix it then worry whether or not it's really fixed when they are done...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote