Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
Waterop

5ths hitch

Moving up from our Rockwood mini lite 22’ to the cougar half ton. 24 RDS. The dealer wants to put the Anderson hitch in and of course most of you know that Lipper Will not cover warranty after March 15, 2021. And as you know only will cover the approved hitch of the Reese gooseneck. I guess I could call my insurance company but would car/trailer insurance company cover something like a frame crack?
Also if not the Anderson what? I would like to keep the bed clear when not in use. First time ever towing a fifth wheel so not sure of the hitches. Done a lot of research on other hitches just a lot of them out there and not sure which direction to go. Money is not too much of an issue few dollars here few dollars there I’m already overspent on the trailer anyway LOL. Current truck 2020 F250 short bed crew cab. not set up for a Puck. I was looking forward to the light wt of the Anderson.
Great form. hear a lot of good feedback.
Waterop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterop View Post
Moving up from our Rockwood mini lite 22’ to the cougar half ton. 24 RDS. The dealer wants to put the Anderson hitch in and of course most of you know that Lipper Will not cover warranty after March 15, 2021. And as you know only will cover the approved hitch of the Reese gooseneck. I guess I could call my insurance company but would car/trailer insurance company cover something like a frame crack?
Also if not the Anderson what? I would like to keep the bed clear when not in use. First time ever towing a fifth wheel so not sure of the hitches. Done a lot of research on other hitches just a lot of them out there and not sure which direction to go. Money is not too much of an issue few dollars here few dollars there I’m already overspent on the trailer anyway LOL. Current truck 2020 F250 short bed crew cab. not set up for a Puck. I was looking forward to the light wt of the Anderson.
Great form. hear a lot of good feedback.
Reese goose box is a preferred unit.. do a search on this forum
Old 04-29-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
KimNTerry

For either the light weight aluminum Andersen or the Reese Goosebox you will need a gooseball setup in the bed of your truck. If you're not setup with a factory fifth wheel system with goose ball then you'll need an aftermarket. I have the B&W turn over system. It works great.

With all the warranty stuff up in the air, Goosebox would be my choice. I currently have the Andersen installed 3 yrs ago working fine.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
jsb5717

The Andersen is also working great for me. However, with the recent limits by Lippert/Keystone I would go a different route. Having a goose ball installed will give you the most options for freeing up your bed. I also have the B&W Turnover ball. There are a variety of acceptable std 5th wheel hitches that will attach via the goose ball. The Demco Recon seems a good choice since it is fairly easy to remove. But there are many others. Do your research and pick what works best for you
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

This was a topic in another thread. With all the dust in the air, wanting to keep the bed clear and ease of removal the Goosebox seems to fit the bill. After that those using the ball in the bed seem to offer something close to what you look for; lighter weight/ease (at least easier) of removal and no problem with frame warranty. Sounds like you would have to have the ball adapter installed, I use B&W.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #6
Getn off

I can’t give any assistance with the Anderson, but I can tell you that the best hitch I have ever used, hands down, is the Trailer Saver air ride. Holy smokes. Seriously forget u are towing sometimes.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #7
gearhead

I've gone from a Curt Q20 to a PullRite 2600( basically a steel Andersen) to a Reese Goosebox. If you want a clear bed the Goosebox is hard to beat.
We are almost through a long 6 week trip which is the maiden voyage for the Goosebox. Wife said a couple days ago that she couldn't tell we were towing the trailer. That may be a bit much but with a air badder and shock absorbers it snubs a lot of the harsh impacts. Kinda like the difference between a ball pein hammer and a dead blow hammer.
Only issue is hooking it up. You have to be exactly, and I mean exactly, over the gooseneck ball. I line up on the truck rear seat middle headrest. I'm batting maybe 200 on getting it right on the first try. If you go Gooseneck get the self latching version.
If you go to a conventional hitch I would look at a 5th Airborne pin box.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
Northofu1

Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about with the Anderson hitch based on the size of the 5er you have. Companies love a reason to void a warranty. Based on their recommendation/ affiliation with the reese goosebox, that would be the last thing I would buy. In the other current post about the Anderson vs goosebox, a great point was made by Chuckster about difficulty in getting the 5er towed with that goosebox.
I would go with a traditional hitch like the B&W Companion or a Pull rite.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch