Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #21
Hr42010

The other thing they said was dont buy a knew carb off amazon?!? Not sure if they want my money or are they really that bad cause ive found quite a few and theyre all under or around $50.
Hr42010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:21 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

You need to be careful when buying to really check the vendor. I suspect the shops want to charge you a markup on parts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr42010 View Post
The other thing they said was dont buy a knew carb off amazon?!? Not sure if they want my money or are they really that bad cause ive found quite a few and theyre all under or around $50.
I rebuild and sell vintage Japanese motorcycle carburetors professionally. Just find a carburetor on eBay or Amazon that is the same as the one you are having issues with. They work OK even though they are Chinese made. I have done this with my lawn tractor (bought eBay carb) and my generator (Champion). If you have the parts (like I said, the bowl oring and cylinder head gasket) are about the only parts needed to "rebuild" a generator carburetor and it takes about 10-15 minutes... longer to take off and re-install than rebuild. Don't let those folks at a shop rip you off.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #24
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I rebuild and sell vintage Japanese motorcycle carburetors professionally. Just find a carburetor on eBay or Amazon that is the same as the one you are having issues with. They work OK even though they are Chinese made. I have done this with my lawn tractor (bought eBay carb) and my generator (Champion). If you have the parts (like I said, the bowl oring and cylinder head gasket) are about the only parts needed to "rebuild" a generator carburetor and it takes about 10-15 minutes... longer to take off and re-install than rebuild. Don't let those folks at a shop rip you off.
Ditto. I've used ebay carbs for pressure washer, push mower, several motorcycles, wood chipper, etc. I always take mine apart and clean it thoroughly first. I bought a gallon paint can of carb cleaner, and I put the metal parts in the basket and let them soak if they are really dirty. I use a spray can on everything else. George makes a great point about the single wire and cleaning the injectors. After I've cleaned the carb thoroughly, replaced gaskets, and replaced fuel lines, if it still won't work then I'll buy a replacement carb. I like to try to fix the original first, and if that doesn't work, then replace it. But that's just me. Good luck. Ask questions and post pics so we can see what you see.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #25
Javi

does this look like it.. https://www.partsfortechs.com/asapca...oducts_id=1540

I think it's a Tecumseh motor..
Old 04-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Calling around ive spoke with at least 3 places that say they dont really service clean or rebuild carbs as they have no luck and that i should replace it. So i might have to see iff cleaning it on my own if that dont work replace it . maybe have to do it my self as the part is going to cost $360 im sure labor is going to be ridiculous.
Well I have a bunch of small engines / motorcycles and boat engines,tractors and I’ve had a lot of luck just pulling the carb carefully apart and cleaning the jets and orifices.
If your really careful you can reuse the gaskets BUT I’ve never taken that same engine and put it under my bed and used it.
That’s the problem with an rv is that even a tiny gas leak can burn the whole rv down.
I think if it were me I would remove the onboard generator and replace it with a portable one.
You could keep it and include it with the sale if you ever sell the rv.
And you might find a carb on eBay or do a nationwide search on carb repair.
I have a place that specializes in them with a couple day turn around.
Local marinas use the same place and charge the customer double because they just send them the carb and act like they rebuilt it. Probably what is happening around your area.
You could call around and ask a bunch of places who they send them to because a lot of repair shops do not do carbs in house.
P&h auto electric in Baltimore md will rebuild it and you can send it to them but not sure what your looking at price wise with shipping.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #27
Hr42010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Thanks!! I figure thats all it is. Im mean even if it only lasts a year and i have to do it again it would still take 10 years before i spent the same as theyre asking!
Old 04-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #28
Hr42010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
does this look like it.. https://www.partsfortechs.com/asapca...oducts_id=1540

I think it's a Tecumseh motor..
Looks damn close if it isn't. But yeah i think thats it.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
Looks damn close if it isn't. But yeah i think thats it.
I didn’t realize it was just a typical lawnmower style carb, I thought it was something like a Onan specific carb or some other special one, yeah I would just find a new one
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I didn’t realize it was just a typical lawnmower style carb, I thought it was something like a Onan specific carb or some other special one, yeah I would just find a new one
Nearly a decade before the OP's genset was built I was the Onan and Kohler generator warranty repair for Central Texas, I even went to the factory schools. I quit doing it in 1983.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #31
Hr42010

Quote:
Nearly a decade before the OP's genset was built I was the Onan and Kohler generator warranty repair for Central Texas, I even went to the factory schools. I quit doing it in 1983.
So what do you think is the problem and it is carb do you think one from amazon or should i get that specific one cause ive found some on amazon that are about $10-20 but your a professional that stands to make nothing in this so i will take your word over the shops.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #32
Hr42010

My friend seems to think its just the spring on the throttle? And he could be right but i think its the whole carb. But yeah if im looking at buying the one you linked javi then im atleast gonna try and clean this one put new spring and gaskets and see if that works first before buying it.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #33
Hr42010

Old 04-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #34
Hr42010

Ok got photos! The very last picture is where the gas is dripping.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #35
Javi

Quote:
So what do you think is the problem and it is carb do you think one from amazon or should i get that specific one cause ive found some on amazon that are about $10-20 but your a professional that stands to make nothing in this so i will take your word over the shops.
First I'd see if I could find a rebuild kit which would have all the gaskets and needle and seat plus a new float and rebuild the carb. Really pretty simple and not difficult at all.
If not I'd get the model # off the plate and see if I could find a new carb.
Replace all fuel lines, filters and make sure the fuel tank is clean.

If you're not mechanically inclined I'd find a small engine shop and let them go over it.
If nothing is wrong with the generator itself the cost of a good tune up should be less than $200
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #36
jasin1

Quote:
Ok got photos! The very last picture is where the gas is dripping.
Yikes! Where the gas is dripping??? You should be saying “ where the gas was dripping before I fixed the leak and or disconnected that gas line completely!
I’ve often wondered what precedes the videos of rv’s burning on the side of the road.
Seriously though I wouldn’t do ANYTHING until you get the leak fixed and I probably wouldn’t even mess around with it too much more or you may go
BOOM
Old 04-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #37
jasin1

Quote:
Yikes! Where the gas is dripping??? You should be saying “ where the gas was dripping before I fixed the leak and or disconnected that gas line completely!
I’ve often wondered what precedes the videos of rv’s burning on the side of the road.
Seriously though I wouldn’t do ANYTHING until you get the leak fixed and I probably wouldn’t even mess around with it too much more or you may go
BOOM
You could have a bad / dirty fuel pump on there also..it’s an electric one? Is that it in the picture below the fuel line? I have a similar one on my westerbeke boat generator
Anyway I wish you the best on this project..good luck
Old 04-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #38
jasin1

Quote:
Wish I had a Kohler generator...I could get the sound enclosure for it(factory sound enclosure)
I have a westerbeke 4.5 3600 rpm genny on my boat and it’s too loud for me..would like a low CO 1800 rpm model
There is a company that makes aftermarket sound enclosures but they are pricey and I’m not sure I like the design..the op’s Genny is 3600 rpm ..bet it’s pretty loud as well
Old 04-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #39
Hr42010

Something obviously wrong its leaking gas from muffler when i crank the engine and i can sometimes get it to fire but it just pop pop and thats it.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #40
Hr42010

Quote:
Wish I had a Kohler generator...I could get the sound enclosure for it(factory sound enclosure)
I have a westerbeke 4.5 3600 rpm genny on my boat and it’s too loud for me..would like a low CO 1800 rpm model
There is a company that makes aftermarket sound enclosures but they are pricey and I’m not sure I like the design..the op’s Genny is 3600 rpm ..bet it’s pretty loud as well
From what ive seen these are pretty quite but dont kbow for sure cause i havent got it to start yet.

Tags
generator